Kato truck removal confusion

Kingmeow

I'm trying to install EM13 decoders in a Kato N700S and a Kato Red Wing (10-1610) but I'm reading different instructions on how to remove the trucks for each.

The instructions ( all via Google Translate) for the N700S says to turn the truck until it stops, then turn it more to remove it.

The instructions for the Red Wing doesn't say anything other than you can put in an optional EM13 for DCC.

The instructions for the EM13 says to take a screwdriver and pry the truck out for the left or right side.  No mention of turning until it stops.  It also doesn't say that with the Shinkansens you need to do the twisty thing.

For the N700S I'll follow that instruction though I just want to confirm as it sounds like a pretty forceful way to remove the truck.  And how would I re-assemble it?  Twist it back on or line it up fore and aft and press to snap in?

For the Red Wing, do I pry the truck off from one side following the EM13 instructions or do I do the N700S twisty thing?  They look similar in their construct so I'm curious about their different methods of removal and thus my confusion.  Either way sounds like I would end up breaking something.  🙂

Can anyone clarify?  Thanks!

King,

form the truck turn it’s sort of a turn and tilt out one side. It is rather forceful and I’ve never liked it, but it works. Basically the tabs that hold the truck into slots in the chassis have angled front and back edges so when you turn the truck to the max those sloped edges are against the end of the slot and as you curb more it pushes the tabs in some helping to be able to lever out one side’s tab out of the slot and the truck come out. Other option is the screwdriver and pry it with pressure from the screwdriver popping out the tab from the slot on one side to pop the truck out.

jeff

The truck is held in by a lug on each side of the bodie on pretty much all Kato bogied motor chassis. 

Turning the bogie to a full lock position increases the leverage and reduces the resistance on the clip and tab holding the bogie on so i’d recommend this method for both.

Thanks guys!  I'll give it a try and report back.  Just want to confirm that I'm not reading incorrectly on the "brute force" approach which really doesn't sound appealing to me.  🙂

Reporting back.  Over the weekend I tried the method included with the EM13 instructions on the Red Wing.  No turning the truck 90 degrees.  I just used an old credit card, slide it into the gap between the truck and body and did a quick pry action.  It came off quite easy.  Now that that I see the physical connection between the two I understand what needs to be done.  Putting it back on was trivial.  The Red Wing is now fully DCC'ed!  🙂

Now for the N700S....haven't gotten around to it but will try the twist and lift method since that's what the instructions say.  A quick look shows it might be a challenge to rotate it to 90 degrees or so as the body has a skirt that blocks the truck somewhat from extreme rotation.  More in-depth examination needed.

Edited by Kingmeow

Glad you got it to work. It’s one of those sort of scary experience things you just have to do to get more use to it. But even so it’s one of my most unfavorite fixit things to do even having done it a couple hundred times now over the years. I love the old minitrix design that used the main truck gear axle being longer and ends were the tabs that stuck out of slots in the chassis. You just pushed the axle thru and truck popped out. No forcing and prying! 

Actually I tend to use my little electronic spodgers the same way as you did the credit card to push the tab over rather than the twist off method, I have a little curved one that gets in there nicer and applies even pressure in the right way, screwdriver works but spodger is just right sized and angled,

jeff

I finally got around (and the nerves) to take a look at the N700S.

Wow!  Just as easy as the Red Wing once you overcome the fear.  😄  I did the twist method as shown in the instruction because the truck was kind of "inset" and I couldn't get my credit card in there like the Red Wing.  The initial problem was the gray skirt on the body shell/frame.  It covers a little bit of the top of the truck so how can you really rotate it 90 degrees???!!!

After staring at it for awhile and playing with it I tried using the finger nail of my thumb and middle fingers to grab the side frames.  Then I twist as much as I could while pulling the truck away from the frame.  When the truck hit the skirt I pulled a little more and continue the twist.  It came right off right away with a slight click/pop.  It was nerve wracking as it feels like you are going to break something when the truck starts to hit the skirt.

Installing the EM13 and FL12s were trivial at this point.    Now I have a nice N700S that is fully DCC!  Yeah!

Edited by Kingmeow
  • Like 1

It's really good that this is being documented here. It's very basic and needed information that will help other people new to this to get past this hurdle.

Rich K.

• Like 1