DCC and me

Shinchipboard

Shinchipboard

I have a small layout with 19 Kato switches all controlled via a brilliant capacitor discharge circuit. I have ditched DCC as it just exasperates me. Place a loco on the track - shorts - resets and all the lights go out. Motor performance terrible (yes I could spend more on a controller). As an electrician of a certain age I actually prefer switches and isolated sections. Locos run smoothly now and are untroubled by momentary shorts. I no longer need to dial up a loco. A LOT of money wasted but with two locos on one track not required and sound not an option even if I wanted it which I don't. Things are a lot calmer. I find my imagination adds the sound and smoke (I don't see it and hear it so don't send for the men in white coats just yet). I think there is a lot of hype about DCC and sound. It's like the latest trainers. Must have? I've tried it. Too noisy for me. Too much peering at a controller either physical or on an iPad. Turn the knob and go. I don't think DCC is popular in Japan by the looks of it. I wonder why?

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of the hard dcc experience. It is a whole nother layout of stuff to deal with and can be very painful at times. I see folks have the spectrum of results with DCC, so it’s not perfect and a number of variables and permutations that effect the outcomes. Also a bit of a learning curve some are just not into investing in.

I look sideways at DCC a lot, have done some fiddling, and think well maybe sometime, but the extra layer of hassles has so far kept me from stepping that direction and a collection of a few hundred trains to convert is also a huge time and money investment to install decoders.

I do feel I have all the same basic enjoyments of my trains without dcc and as you say imagination can play a big roll. It’s nice keeping things simple and I don’t need to be running two trains on the same track. I do enjoy simple throttle running, it’s manual and satisfying. Computer control of everything at times does seem to suck a lot of the fun out things. 

Sadly there are some that ridicule those who are just not into dcc and some clubs now that are dcc only. Really is a situation of what suits you best and leave it at that.

For some beginners as well the layer of tech can be daunting. Others who are tech savvy cotten to dcc right away. Again it’s all in what you like, want, and need.

Since most layouts, temporary and permanent, in Japan are using Kato Unitrak or Tomix finetrack that both have power routing switches that handles most all the isolation needs on a small to medium layout and DCC is not all that needed. Layouts also tend to not be big enough to easily run two trains on the same track anyway. Usually just running a throttle for each mainline and point power routing for sidings works fine for most user’s needs, keeps things simple.

Sound option is fun, but if you have it turned up to cover motor and wheel noise and then the combination can get very loud. I enjoy adding some local sound effect with cheap mp3 cards like station platform announcements or little random sound effects on a layout.

Smoke I can do without as the burned oil smell turns my stomach and can be fiddly in N scale.

cheers,

Jeff

• Like 2

Sound wise, you can also get the Kato Soundboard with the various sound chip cartridge's. The engine's sound will change relative to the amount of throttle used and makes running on a Kato Power Pack feel very luxurious.

I've done both types of systems, but just feel like DCC take a lot of the childhood wonder of running trains that I felt growing up away from the hobby.

• Like 3

It is true DCC takes the childhood wonder out of trains.  This holiday season I pulled out a zero scale 1/45 tram and I  am seriously considering adding another one after the holidays. My zero scale layouts would be temporary and in addition to my two small N scale tram layouts.

• Like 1

There is no difference between a DC and DCC layout.

You can replace the controllers at the feeder and placing the

correct type loco (DC or Decoder/DCC) the train will run.

Identical track plan, different controller.

image.png.a3cdc491007b7a14d3b252379d6551ac.png

If your DCC loco shorts instantly on the track then its either the Decoder is defective or the decoder install has an issue. 

I like the sound too much now. Some installs can be challenging but is resolved with some effort

Although these are Athearn the paint scheme outweighed my Kato preference. I figured out how to get 

a Lok sound decoder in without hacking up the frame. If these were DC the surfers would never hear

the loco coming ruining he whole campaign.

Set up a simple test track and get your DCC running.

Inobu

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
Shinchipboard

Thank you all for replying. Nostalgia plays a big part here it's true.

speaking of nostalgia I have come to realise in my 65th year that my love of Japanese trains has in many ways erased my memories of UK trains because I have  watched so many fine videos and photographs of Japanese railways they are like my own now plus my fondness for Kato. Does that make sense?

• Like 1

If you already have the equipment there no reason to stop. The principles of electricity still applies. Its just the matter of finding out what's wrong.

There's no real need for sound with Japanese trains as the wheel to rails makes the necessary sounds. Sound comes into play at the stations. Having the station play the line chime and Japanese departure and arrival announcements is what becomes paramount.

Those two F59PHI I posted was an example. I had those for 2 years dreading the install and finally pulled them out. It took me

two years to face up to a 2 day install problem.........

Don't let your DCC issue become a 2 year endeavor like I did.

Inobu

• Like 2
Shinchipboard
On 12/12/2023 at 9:56 PM, bill937ca said:

It is true DCC takes the childhood wonder out of trains.  This holiday season I pulled out a zero scale 1/45 tram and I  am seriously considering adding another one after the holidays. My zero scale layouts would be temporary and in addition to my two small N scale tram layouts.

I hear that Santa is bringing me a 1:45 DD51 and I have plans (literally) of a 43 type passenger coach which I hope to make to accompany it. It is a pity that a lot of kits are 1:50 scale. It won't be a quick build.

• Like 2
Shinchipboard

I have stripped out the DCC and remade my control panel. Control is now easier and smoother than before. I still have to wire up the isolated sections when I get toggle switches. Absolutely fine for my simple layout. I found selecting locomotives strange and never felt comfortable with it whereas now I just turn the controller knobs of outer, inner and or station kickback yard! my C11 and D51 are safe from butchering. My C62 and C59s are back to analogue with working headlights again.

I'm happy. That's my tuppence worth about DCC. I think it is an age thing and the model railway press pushing DCC. I am not a complete luddite as I REALLY enjoy transport fever 2 computer game which  has lots of Japanese models to enjoy on a huge scale!

• Like 2

I was originally planning to use DCC, but realised it will add an extra layer of complexity, particularly with Japanese trains, and as my modest operational needs can be met with a few DPDT switches etc., I don't see the need for myself. (Also as I spend all day in front of a computer, it's nice not to have to go down another tech rabbit hole).

• Like 2