This is going to seem obvious but I'm new around here...

Mister Gee

Hi all - I've been reading as much as I can here, and most of my experience is with HO but I know most of the rules carry over. Do most of the Japanese N-scalers still use block wiring on their layouts? I was planning for DCC but if that's more trouble than it's worth then what's the best solution? I'm planning an L-shaped wall mounted layout no larger than 10 foot on one leg and 6 foot on the other. It'll be used only by me, so is it just easier to isolate the sidings and use standard controllers instead of putting myself through DCC wiring in N-scale? I appreciate any feedback and guidance.

John

If we are talking about N-scalers in Japan, I would guess about 99% use neither DCC nor block wiring.

Tomix Finetrack turnouts (I saw in another thread that you picked up Tomix track) are fully power routing. Current only goes where trains can go. That's good enough in most circumstances. For the more advanced cases (reversing loops, multiple locos parked on the same siding, and so on) there are the Tomix Finetrack control boxes. I've described a bit how to set up control boxes somewhere in my Yamahama layout thread:

As for the people hanging out on this forum, there are plenty of people doing DCC. I can't really remember seeing any block wiring DC. Might just be me not understanding anything though. 🙂

If you have some kind of idea for a track plan to share, it would be easier for people to give input. The size of a layout doesn't say that much. After all, a layout could be huge without even having any turnouts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few folks have mentioned they were using block wiring, but predominantly all the non DCC folks here just use the Kato Unitrak or Tomix finetrak power routing on the points. It makes life a lot easier than having a giant control panel wired up, just need a mainline power buss to feed off of. Of course you can always do a control panel for your points and use the BCD capacitor discharge circuit to fire them with regular dpst toggle switches. Can be a lot easier than having to look up a point number on a diagram and find that numbered lever to throw the correct direction.

for larger layouts it’s mainly strategically locating power drops on the mainline to not mess up any sidings with feeds and do some insulation if you make a passing loop with two of the same direction points. Otherwise pretty easy outside of reversing loops and wyes which require isolation and power reversal circuits/switching.

usually each mainline has its own throttle. Simpler than using dpdt toggles to each block between two throttles (that can make for wrong throttle and direction accidents)

jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much for the replies - that all makes more sense after your responses. Once I get my track plan cleaned up I'll post it for comments. Again - thanks for your responses.

John

John,

do you have any track currently? If so also play with sections of your layout physically as you design on software as it’s a different world once track is on the table. Many things may look great in software but not be satisfying or can be annoying once on the table. It takes long time to get a sense of this translation and also know what you like and dislike in track plans.

cheers

jeff

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, cteno4 said:

do you have any track currently? If so also play with sections of your layout physically as you design on software as it’s a different world once track is on the table. Many things may look great in software but not be satisfying or can be annoying once on the table. It takes long time to get a sense of this translation and also know what you like and dislike in track plans.

Jeff - I've got a limited amount of track - I kind of figured I'd search out some deals on track as I progress. You're absolutely right about testing stuff out first. I'll definitely be doing that. Great ideas don't always translate well in reality.

John

Great. Even with 3d rendering of a layout the view is a greatly reduced sized view that you probably will never see in real life with distance and perspective issues in your space. Computer screen can’t give you the usual distance and field your view you would have when looking at the real thing.

2D can be an even greater issue. Many folks think that simple straight loops look great in 2D and hate the once running a train. 

playing some with real track also Susses out issues track geometry can have with your particular rolling stock.

jeff