I made a thing! A modular paint organization system.

tossedman

Wandering around YouTube yesterday and I tumbled a cross a video about making a modular paint organization system. I was intrigued and purchased the plans for the whole organization system. Cost me seven bucks. Hobbyzone makes a similar system that your can buy premade, but since I have a laser cutter and now have plans I thought I'd give it a go. It took me about 10 minutes to modify the plans to fit the sheets of 3 mm MDF that I had and to adjust to colours and stroke with that are appropriate for our laser cutter. I use no added formaldehyde MDF for our laser cutter. It's a little better on one's lungs. Probably not much though, as one is vaporizing the MDF with a laser beam.

Anyways, after vaporizing a couple of bucks worth of MDF for about five minutes I had one of these,

IMG_4007.thumb.jpg.0ba74b73d6ab7dfab2ce97d2520e6da1.jpg

Here's the YouTube video. If you're thinking of buying a laser cutter, this guys channel has a wealth of information about many different kinds of laser cutters. There's a link in the video description about where to buy the plans.

Cheers eh,

Todd

• Like 5

I purchased a Vallejo version from Volks although it only caters for their own bottle sizes. While unpacking it, realised it could easily be replicated if only I had a laser cutter. The board Vallejo used has a plastic coating on one side and the bare MDF on the other which does give a nice finish. 

IMG_2340.jpeg

• Like 2

That's cool. I'll have to look for that coated MDF. The laser cutter would let you fit any size bottle, although I made mine for the same size bottles as yours.

Todd

• Like 1

The rear holes are larger for some of the weathering effect type jars. Annoyingly, nothing for the airbrush thinner and flow improver bottles unless you buy the corner versions, hence it would be great to create your own. I would say the general design is good and sturdy though so an ideal one to mimic and modify.

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/producto/modelismo/paint-stands-es/modulo-frontal-26007/

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1