how much for a model power Shinkansen

al camino

IMG_20231125_154049.jpg

How much should one pay for this model power trainset ?

A four car consist of two cab coaches an two std coaches was on sale last weekend.

I was not sure if I should grab it or leave it on the shelf.

Maybe I see the seller in short again and then ... I don't know because I already have too much items (as lot of you know by own experience).

Edited by al camino
Changed brand from AHM, removed the unwanted hidden text, typo
  • al camino changed the title to how much for a model power Shinkansen

THanks for this hint. I cannot tell if the model power is from same molding that the Lima. I dont have more images to judge from. Maybe I'll meet the seller shortly after Christmas again. Then I'll check closer and maybe get weak if we can negotiate a nice price.

Welshbloke

I'm sure I've seen Lima N models in Model Power packaging (presumably they were being made for Model Power, like Kato's original Alco PAs for ConCor). The item number on the box matched the contents when fed to an image search, so I don't think it was a random box the last owner had used.

Realistically, if Lima had the tooling and MP were offering to order enough to make it worthwhile they'd make it. I've always assumed their Japanese HO range (which also included a 103 Series and at least one freight car) never sold in massive quantities and was dropped.

railsquid
21 minutes ago, Welshbloke said:

Realistically, if Lima had the tooling and MP were offering to order enough to make it worthwhile they'd make it. I've always assumed their Japanese HO range (which also included a 103 Series and at least one freight car) never sold in massive quantities and was dropped.

OT, but in all my time looking at shops and online auction sites in Japan, I don't recall ever seeing any Japanese outline Lima models, even though there's a surprising amount of Lima non-Japanese stuff floating about (some of it even with Japanese on the packaging).

jappomania

@railsquid it was a long long time ago, but when Lima was the biggest "train factory" in the world, they tried to import his toys  also in Japan

here the localized catalog

http://www.rivarossi-memory.it/LIMA/Cataloghi/Lima_1977-78_Jp/Lima_1977_78_Jp.htm (you can also download the pdf version)

http://www.rivarossi-memory.it/LIMA/Cataloghi/Lima_1978-79_Jp/Lima_1978-79_Jp.htm

@Welshbloke  during the '70 '80' , it was not so strange to produce like OEM the same models for another factory, surely you can find some models made from Lima, Roco, Mehanotehnika (now Mehano), Rivarossi, Microace packed on Atlas, Life-Like or Model Power boxes

an example

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/lle678.html

http://www.spookshow.net/locolist.php?diesels=6&nonbrass=3&sortby=4&Submit=Submit

http://www.spookshow.net/passenger/passenger.php

the first one I remember (and I bought 40 years after) was the Egger Bahn OEG Feuriger Elias set (produced from Lima for Egger, the bogie of the cars are the same that has been used for the first N scale production resembling the standard H0 coupler instead the Arnold)

http://www.rivarossi-memory.it/LIMA/Cataloghi/Lima_1966_Confezioni_It/Lima_1966_Confezioni_It.htm (you can also download the pdf version)

pag.14 art. 102  > lower right corner

ciao!

Massimo

Edited by jappomania
more links....
  • Like 2
Welshbloke

That's doubly interesting in that Egger Bahn was eventually sold to Jouef. Who would end up in the Hornby group next to Lima a few decades later!

jappomania
2 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

That's doubly interesting in that Egger Bahn was eventually sold to Jouef. Who would end up in the Hornby group next to Lima a few decades later!

not really...😉

The original Egger Bahn founder (Theodor) has re-registered the trademark at the end of '90 because it was expired and not renewed from Jouef, but I don't know if it happened before or after the Rivarossi acquisition of Jouef (it was the last company bought after Lima and Arnold, before the quick bankrupcy, when the first goal was not the models production but the bubble economy)
so probably what you tell happend but under the Rivarossi group, Hornby era started in 2004, 4 of the biggest marks in the trains models world (+ Pocher) for just 8M € , a good business for Hornby but they never had rights on Egger Bahn trademark

I seem to be coming across images of the same shinkansen model but with an Amtrak livery. 

jappomania
4 hours ago, Kamome said:

I seem to be coming across images of the same shinkansen model but with an Amtrak livery. 

is the same mold, also in Santa Fe Livery from Tyco/Mantua, I'm not 100% sure about matching of model>box

for what I remember it was made in Slovenia (OEM Mehanotehnika), but before to confirm that, I need to find and old magazine where it was explained, I can't put my hand on the fire for now, sorry (it was 40 year ago, I've not enough space in the HDD in the middle of my ears 😞)

JR East

I do remember Lima. It was a very affordable brand for kids like me. Of course, at that time, I was not very interested in details, but it was eough to play with. Their HO scale locomotive were quite noisy, but once more, enough to play with my friends. 

I have happy memories of Lima UK 00 gauge stock. Remember visiting the Engine Shed, and looking at the silver boxes. Both myself and my older brother received Lima trainsets for Christmas. Class 52 Western with 2 BR blue mark 2 coaches and an Intercity 125 in BR blue. Lima stock always looked more close to the faded, dirty, underfunded railway colours I saw as a kid. Hornby colours by comparison looked over-saturated and toy like. Although I coveted the Hornby class 91 and mark 4s. One day you will be mine, oh yes! You will be mine. I couldn't remark on how good the detail was as imagination would fill in the gaps. I'm sure my memories would be shattered if I saw some of the things from Lima today that I thought were great back in the day.

• Like 1

I recommend to get shinkansen 0 series bullet train manufactured by zoukeimura.

This is a HO scale plastic model and you can purchase 4 car basic set first to enjoy before getting full set of the train (6 / 12 / 16 cars).

The model is DCC ready therefore you can purchase extra DCC sound decoder to enjoy the sound and light function too.

It should be the cheapest 0 series bullet train you can get with good quality.

Ref:

https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/products/srs01_0shinkansen.html

• Like 1
al camino
Posted (edited)

Thanks. You are completely right. In fact I had already decided to go with the Zoukei Mura. It is a nice model. I had the basic 22/25/26/23 set an the restaurant & green car 35/15/16/35 set when I saw the model power. Completely different quality level. Not comparable. But the model power toy has the small windows as a nice deviation to the "real" model train. Up to now I found another 25/26 set and one 26. I need one more 26 to pair the second 35. Sold out everywhere. It probably will take a while until the train in completed.

Edited by al camino
Better sentences

Hi all,

the above Shinkansen is from Playart in Hongkong and sort of a Lima clone. Lima made the 0-Type in its first version with big windows, while Playart produce a later model with small windows. As far as I remember, the bodies of both can be swapped. Lima used their pancake motor, while the Playart train had a cheap can motor of chinese origin.

Model Power imported lots of stuff from playart in the 70's and well into the 90's (not sure when it ended, maybe when Playart dissapeared). The Shinkansen was one of those models, mor common in Model Power boxes are the Amtrak and Santa Fe War Bonnet versions. Playart sold this train under its own name, too. 

As for the price, 40 - 60 US$ for a L/N 4-car train should be ok, I think. Note that the white parts of the train are unpainted and may have a tendency to yellow over the time. At least the Lima trains are almost impossible to find with pristine white carbodies. When checking the train, open the box and take it out, sometimes the box window foil has yellowed and shows the model in a wrong colour.

Have a good one,

Martin

• Like 1
On 4/20/2024 at 4:15 AM, al camino said:

Thanks. You are completely right. In fact I had already decided to go with the Zoukei Mura. It is a nice model. I had the basic 22/25/26/23 set an the restaurant & green car 35/15/16/35 set when I saw the model power. Completely different quality level. Not comparable. But the model power toy has the small windows as a nice deviation to the "real" model train. Up to now I found another 25/26 set and one 26. I need one more 26 to pair the second 35. Sold out everywhere. It probably will take a while until the train in completed.

Hi,

Actually you can get from volks (which own the zokei mura brand) online store, by checking the shopping guide they support international shipping and the 26 is still in stock.

Enjoy!

26 item page

https://hobby.ec.volks.co.jp/item/4518992503202.html

shopping guide

https://hobby.ec.volks.co.jp/ext/guide_shipment.html