Z-scale river diorama

FSHBWL

Hello everyone,

Having gotten my hands on Rokuhan's recently released 0 Series Shinkansen, I couldn't resist to build a diorama for it. 66 x 33 cm, mostly ready bar a few details that are still missing.

What I still need is a name for the diorama. So for the Japanese speakers amongst you: would "Kawahashi" (River bridge) sound correct?

Cheers,

Chris

Diorama1.jpg

Diorama3.jpg

Diorama4.jpg

Diorama5.jpg

Diorama6.jpg

• Like 16

Chris, 

kudos! Very nicely done! Are you planning on adding more modules to the loop?

what technique and materials did you use for your water? Always curious as there are so many variations to do that.

jeff

Very nicely done diorama. I have a hard time putting my finger on what I like about it, but I guess there's something about a balance in the proportions of the landscape.

As for the name I ought to leave that to the fluent speakers, but I guess it would be a bit like calling it "River Bridge". It sounds a bit like something in missing, a name of the river or something.

Thank you all for the kudos!

@ Jeff: The water consists of a 5mm layer of a 2-component clear epoxy resin with a few drops of blue grey colour mixed in and all poured on top of the painted river bed. The waves were added by applying three layers of a clear drying acrylic paste. After everything was thoroughly dry, I carefully drybrushed the waves with some white acrylic colour. Below some self-explanatory shots from different phases of the build.

To be honest, however, I'm not entirely happy about how the river turned out. With hindsight, I should have probably added more (and somewhat darker) shades of gray and blue when painting the river bed in order to make things look less flat and get a more authentic transition from the shallows to the deeper parts of the water. And if I did it again, I'd also position the sandbanks somewhat differently and probably do only one around the middle pillar of the bridge at a bit more of a left to right angle to be more in line with the natural flow of the river. But hey, it's the first time I've modelled a river...

Cheers,

Chris

Diorama7.jpg

Diorama8.jpg

Diorama9.jpg

Diorama10.jpg

Diorama11.jpg

Diorama12.jpg

Diorama13.jpg

• Like 10

Having just poured water for the like third time ever, and for the first time with added color (its a BRIGHT BLUE PUDDLE now), I can say I am in awe and super jelly about how gorgeous that water turned out!

Great Job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Wolf said:

Having just poured water for the like third time ever, and for the first time with added color (its a BRIGHT BLUE PUDDLE now), I can say I am in awe and super jelly about how gorgeous that water turned out!

Great Job!

Working with epoxy resin for the first time made me actually a bit nervous. Fortunately, there are some good Youtube videos out there explaining the process. See for example Luke Towan’s channel or Samy’s Modellbau. Woodland Scenics also has some useful video tutorials on their page.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

Cool, that looks great! Really suits the zero Series Shinkansen. So what's next on the list? Any more modules planned?

Cheers,

Todd

12 hours ago, tossedman said:

Cool, that looks great! Really suits the zero Series Shinkansen. So what's next on the list? Any more modules planned?

Cheers,

Todd

Thanks! And yes, I might do another module once I find the time - probably a station/town scene in order to finally do something with the Sankei building kits that I have still lying around.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 2