YFS Miniature Figure

maihama eki

I stopped by this shop last week after seeing it some time ago in RM Model magazine. The shop is a 5 minute walk up the street from the well known Tam Tam Akihabara store. 

https://yfs-figure.com/

This is a small shop on the second floor of a building.

IMG_6158.thumb.jpg.ca81b04d3394e8b99c0ac4cf6f2838d7.jpg

The shop has a significant amount of inventory, but a large part of the store is also taken by various models and dioramas made by customers.

IMG_6154.thumb.jpg.fdcf149d17ee98e38f25f3bef56a8fa8.jpg

Miniature of the store and a truck with a YFS container.

IMG_6156.jpg.882bd5bd84c85d45a12449eca208bf36.jpg

Their specialty is figures in many scales - both standard figures, and custom painted, and custom made to order. They carry figures in large packs - up to 1000 figures in a pack.

They also carry a number of other scenery bits and pieces. They carry some very unusual small run scenic details pieces that are made by a variety of small makers - primarily 3D prints.

I had a nice talk with a friendly guy that I'm pretty sure is the owner - as best as we could converse across a language barrier. He said that he is willing to do mail order, and will respond to email inquiries.

I ended up with a small bag of items including figures, scenery bits, and a couple of structure kits. You might notice a Baiodo kit. Sharp-eyed folks will notice some 3D printed air conditioner units from Cityscape Studio (of YouTube fame).

IMG_6298.thumb.jpg.52e7a085fb824a86e114e08810a438e0.jpg

I introduced him to JNS Forum. He was surprised to see it - surprised that there was a large group of English speaking Japanese model railroad fans.

This place is well worth a stop.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
14 hours ago, maihama eki said:

He said that he is willing to do mail order, and will respond to email inquiries.

Oooh perfect, was looking around the site to see if any mention of this. I may have to breakdown and try some of their figures, they look nicer than the Chinese architectural figures but still very inexpensive for dense scenes.

thanks

jeff

I added the first YFS Figures to my Yamanote line today as a test, and I am pretty happy with the Result. Figures to share here so ppl can get an impression.

As I want an Rush Hour Style Yamanote, I didnt hold back and glued 4 rows of Figures (Seated - Standing - Standing - Seated) and at this rate the 7000 Yen pack of Figures (NSP-SS360) will more or less be enough for 4 Yamanote cars.

Cheers

Stephan

PXL_20231223_155705199.MP.jpg

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 9
10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Ahh cool! Saves chopping off legs!

But then you don't have all the shoes to put outside the tea house though.
: 3

• Haha 4

One of our club members did a bunch of torsos for putting in vehicles and train cars and had a pile of bottom halves of figures. We were trying to think of ideas for them and finally it was an overturned stake-side truck with all the lower sections scattered. Delivery from the mannequin factory got into an accident…

jeff

• Like 2
Tony Galiani

A question if I might - when you say "up the street" do you mean further north on Chuo-Dori Avenue?  I tried plugging in the address from the YFS web site into a map search but it gave me a restaurant in the US!  I know where Tam Tam Akihabara is but am not finding YFS in my searches.  Any additional info would be appreciated.

Ciao,

Tony

MeTheSwede

Search for ミニチュア人形のYFS on Google maps and you should find it. At least I do.

maihama eki

Sorry for not being more specific. It is a few block north on Chuo-Dori, on the same/west side of the street. The shop is on the 2nd floor. There should be a sign in front. Check the opening hours before going.

The web site has the location and hours: https://yfs-figure.com/?mode=f3 

Map showing Tam Tam and YFS:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/ミニチュア人形のYFS/@35.7049196,139.7715615,18z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x60188ea61c29f7a7:0x6f3d9c1ea1f549eb!8m2!3d35.7062088!4d139.7718778!16s%2Fg%2F11b6ygldrb?hl=en-US&entry=ttu

Edited by maihama eki
  • Like 1
Tony Galiani

@MeTheSwede - thanks.  I apparently copied the wrong info for my search.

@maihama eki - thanks.  I stumbled around the web site but missed some bits - should have looked a bit more carefully.

Anyway, appreciate the info and hope to make it there.  And, maybe the Mister Donut I noticed when I was looking at the map!

Tony

• Like 2
maihama eki

My favorite purchases there were some detail pieces that seem to be from some small Japanese makers.

I bought a pack of 2 of these 3 wheel scooters from someone called PETABAHN. They may be the same person as this eBay store at https://www.ebay.com/usr/peta_bahn_tokyo that currently is offering a bunch of industrial/petrochemical structures.

IMG_6509.thumb.jpg.3dae21bb5bd3c96693758307864b4892.jpg

With some paint and homemade decals, I made one of them a Domino's delivery scooter as you might see in Japan. This scooter looks like a Honda Gyro scooter - at least I think that is what it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Gyro 

IMG_6508.thumb.jpg.a7ae6f5d11e3e2836a4b475210330359.jpg

Edited by maihama eki
  • Like 9
Tony Galiani

I made it to YFS yesterday - we were walking back from Ueno and I noticed the lights on in the shop so figured it was worth checking out.  And this time the shop was open with the owner there as well as a young man who turned out to have designed some of the kits.

The owner is very friendly and enthusiastic and remembered @maihama eki - even bringing up the JNS Forum on his phone and I explained that you have posted about his shop.

The young man spoke very good English and I learned he designed the kit of the building YFS is in as well as an interior kit for the shop and 3D printed toilets if you wanted to go all out and super detail the interior.  He also designs and produces detail parts.  He was quite happy when I purchased the building kit as well as some of the parts he made:  cones, capsule machines, power boxes and such.  He produces them under the name of Matsuri Models.

I also purchased some of the YFS figures and a Baido kit.  Probably spent more than I should have but they were so pleased by my visit and so eager to help that I couldn't resist.  Plus I would rather spend my money to support a small business than a giant chain like Yodabashi.  I will post pictures of the items when I am back home.

Ciao,

Tony

Edited by Tony Galiani
grammar correction
  • Like 6

Glad you got to go there! Yes nice to support a small business like that directly and I’m sure a shot in the arm when folks from all over the world have to stop by when in Japan. Plus you can never have too many detail bits!

jeff

maihama eki

Happy to see you made it to YFS when they were open. I bought a couple of the Matsuri Models items on my visit - the toilets and gashapon machines you mentioned. His gashapon machines are very nicely designed with separate opaque and clear pieces.

Matsuri Models items can also be found at the other small shop that we know, Gallery Sakatsu. https://sakatsuglobal.com/search?type=product&q=matsuri 

You might remember that Gallery Sakatsu is the new home of the excellent formerly "Kobaru" items. I wanted to go by Gallery Sakatsu when I was in Tokyo in November, but didn't make it up there.

Thanks for your reports. I'm enjoying hearing about your trip.

• Thanks 1