Tony - Japan 2024 Planning

Tony Galiani

Tony Galiani

@cteno4 - Thanks.  Glad @mojo suggested this - I am indeed enjoying looking at the pics and reliving my trip though disappointed I did not go for a longer one.  I need to find a path between my desire to travel and my music commitments (which I do not want to give up).  Actually might retire this year to have more time.

Anyway, here are some pics from our trip to Aomori and Hirosaki.  Tsuguru 4 - our ride from Aomori to Hirosaki and some pictures from the Hirosaki Castle illuminations.  Also, our favorite vending machine at Shin-Aomori and wonderful pastries at a shop in Shin-Aomori station.  Aomori has gone all in on apples and it shows - I try to avoid hyperbole but these were outstanding.

Ciao,

Tony

Tsuguru 4 at Aomori.jpg

Hirosaki Castle Illuminations 2.jpg

Hirosaki Castle Illuminations.jpg

Apple Vending Machine.jpg

Apple pie in Aomori.jpg

• Like 6
kuro68000

Some lovely photos @Tony Galiani. That bridge in the snow...

I love the tray too. The way things like that are carefully laid out is something I really enjoy about Japan. It's hard to explain to people who haven't experienced it, but there is a feeling that someone put some thought and effort into everything.

• Like 2
kuro68000

Oh, and I forgot, one for you wife:

Just don't introduce her to Don Quixote, or I'll be forced to post my karaoke version of their song...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
kuro68000

I have to say, it's probably the least inventive shop theme song I can think of, just the same three words repeated over and over.

Sometimes I wonder if it drives the staff insane, hearing it all day on repeat. I once went to Don Quixote at 1 AM and got stuck there for ages because for some reason there are loads of Chinese tourists buying cosmetics in the middle of the night. Probably doing the same as me, last minute spending left over cash before flying home in the morning. Anyway, I used to kinda like that song...

The only one I'll never get fed up of is Hard Off.

18 minutes ago, mojo said:

I have to say, it's probably the least inventive shop theme song I can think of, just the same three words repeated over and over

Those are usually the worst earwigs, short phrase that loops.

we have that issue in museums with any looping audio that drives docents mad! Some get to be able to completely tune it out, others just have to move to another areas as it’s just too annoying. I knew one that could do a spot on imitation of a 30 second audio loop he was around too long. Brain damage.

ever hear the joke about the old and rookie detective showing up at a crime scene with a guy naked in the shower surrounded by dozens and dozens of empty shampoo bottles? old detective says “clearly he’s a programmer and he starved to death.” Rookie says “how the hell do you know that just looking at this?!” Old detective picks up one of the shampoo bottle and says “read the instructions, lather, rinse, repeat!”

jeff

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

A few more food views - breakfast at our hotel in Aomori and lunch at the museum cafe in Hirosaki.  The hotel breakfast there was not as impressive as at some of the other hotels but it was still pretty good.  The museum cafe was supposed to be a light snack to hold us to dinner but turned out to be our main meal.  By the time we got back to Aomori Sunday evening our only option was the combini in the station so breakfast the next morning was very much appreciated.

A couple of views from Aomori JR Station - a Tsuguru Limited Express and an Aomori Railway local viewed from the bridge to the platforms and the JR local we took from Aomori station to Shin-Aomori.

Ciao,

Tony

Breakfast in Aomori.jpg

Lunch at Hirosaki.jpg

Aomori Local Train.jpg

Aomori Station.jpg

• Like 5
Tony Galiani

I watched Solo Travel Japan's latest video yesterday evening and at the beginning he has breakfast at Haneda airport before taking his flight.  550 Japanese yen (about US$3.70) for eggs, sausage, rice, soup and one or two more items.  Incredible value for money (and at an airport no less).  And that echoed what we found in our recent travels.

I am not sure that the hotel breakfasts were the absolute best value - except the one in Aomori which, considering the room cost, was a super deal - but we enjoyed them and the pricing was reasonable.  Though for me the main attraction is getting a slow start to the day in contrast to real life.  Other food seemed really inexpensive.  Our typical daily break of two lattes and two deserts of some sort ran around US$10 or $12 which is pretty good.  And I reviewed my credit card charges yesterday - dinner at Tonkatsu Wako, consisting of two set meals and a beer for Mira ran to US$25 which seems very good considering the quantity, quality and that they offer free refills on the soup, cabbage and rice (though we did not take advantage of that).

Not sure how long this will last but certainly enjoying it.  Not sure how much is due to the weakness of the Yen and how much it is food prices in general though.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 2
Tony Galiani

Still have a few more pictures to post but, in the mean time ....

While I am not too likely to do this .... I have a ton of frequent flyer miles to use use and Delta seems to be offering 90K miles to Tokyo in late April so thinking about it.  Are there any events or holidays happening that would make that a poor time to go?

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1
maihama eki
2 hours ago, Tony Galiani said:

Still have a few more pictures to post but, in the mean time ....

While I am not too likely to do this .... I have a ton of frequent flyer miles to use use and Delta seems to be offering 90K miles to Tokyo in late April so thinking about it.  Are there any events or holidays happening that would make that a poor time to go?

Cheers,

Tony

I like April in Japan. It's in between the school breaks in March and Golden Week in early May. The weather is usually pretty good too - not too cold or hot or wet. Golden week starts the end of April this year, so you might want to avoid that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Tony Galiani

@maihama eki  Turns out it is for the last week in April so may not be such a bargain after all.  I will continue to keep an eye on the deals (and United's) as they change frequently.

Tony

With regard to Joetsu Shinkansen or the Hokuriku Shinkansen, i.e. E7.  This is easier with a JR pass but when we first saw the E7 in service we wanted to ride it so we just went a few stops and then got off and came back to Tokyo.   Something to consider when you see a new train you've not ridden and don't really have anywhere to go on its destination list.

Tony Galiani

Running out of pictures - my wife took thousands but it will be a while before we go through them.  Here are some from our trip to Enoshima.  I could not get over - though I suppose I should not really be surprised - at how easy the transfer from JR to the Enoden Line was.  Took us only a few minutes to walk the well sign posted route (though that did require ignoring some of the cafes on the way - another stop at Tully's would have been nice).

We also really liked the beach town vibe we found when we got off for Enoshima.  I did not expect that at all.  And, as I mentioned previously, the view of Mount Fuji and the beach.  It was nice to experience some "slow travel" and just hang out for a while and enjoy the place.  Mira kept marveling that we were less than an hour away from Tokyo.

Some pictures of our ride on the Endoden and a great way to carry a surfboard.

Ciao,

Tony

Enoden 1.jpg

Enoden 2.jpg

Surf City Japan.jpg

• Like 7
Tony Galiani

Well, one more picture and some more random thoughts.

We really had a great time and I appreciate all the information I received via the Forum.  Much better than youtube and other sources!  I am going back to note all the info I received on this thread as I start thinking about my next trip to Japan.  By odd circumstances, I have purchased some models of Shikoku and Kyushu rolling stock so am now obliged to visit those two islands.  So I will welcome any suggestions!

This time we got a bit further away from the main tourist attractions.  So it was fun going to Nikko and to Mount Inari on previous trips but on our recent trips we went to some spots less frequented by international tourists such as The Philosopher's Path in Kyoto, Aomori, Hirosaki, Enoshima and Onumakoen.  Great experiences and something we plan to do more of in the future.  We really enjoy Tokyo but are eager to see more of the country.

With regard to banks - cash is definitely needed and we found an ATM at - to us at least - and unusual location:  a Seven-Eleven Combini.  I guess they are affiliated with Seven Bank.  We withdrew money there and the rate was favorable - only a 220 yen surcharge.  Last year I was irritated when in Vienna when every bank seemed to want to charge a flat rate of 5 or 6 Euros for a withdrawal which I think is unreasonable.  Fortunately we had enough Euros to get by on that trip and did not run into that issue in Japan.

And, while I wore a mask for the flight, I did not in Japan and I think I picked something up on the Shinkansen back from Aomori.  Had a sore throat the next day.  Buying meds in a foreign country can be a challenge but at least this one was easy to figure out.

Ciao,

Tony

IMG_1385.jpg

• Like 4

Yes 7/11 is the GOTO spot for international ATM. That and Japan Post Bank, but since 7/11 started we've not been to a post bank ATM except maybe at the airport.  I think some of the other major convenience stores have also started having international ATM.  And yes the fee is very reasonable and you get basically the best exchange rate you can get.  Just a hair off the interbank rate more or less (compared to the cash rate which is significantly not in your favor).  I think the ATM charges 220yen or 330yen depending on how much you take out.  That's from memory but I do remember there being two levels.

Just make sure your US (or where ever you live) is ok with foreign country ATM access and they don't charge huge fees on their end.  My credit unions don't charge anything and one even reimburses me a certain amount of "foreign" ATM fees, meaning not in their network, and I had them reimburse me the fees from Japan 7/11!  I was not expecting that.  I knew they did it if I used (up to a limit) US ATMs not in their network but they did the 7/11 ones as well.

Tony Galiani
Posted (edited)

I am actually really enjoying reliving my trip so I am going to indulge and post some more photos.  My wife took approximately 100x the amount of pictures I took so I grabbed her phone to get some more.  (And that number does not include the number of pictures on her camera!)

I had wanted to post a picture of my favorite Kei truck which we spotted in Onumakoen - the Death By Curry truck!  Unfortunately, that photo is on her camera so no idea when I will get that one.  So, instead, here are some more pictures from Hokkaido:  ice cream and snow scupture at Onumakoen, fireworks and KiHas at Hakodate.  I must say I really enjoy how much activity takes place in the public space and how it attracts all age groups.  It really adds to our enjoyment when we do things in Japan.

BTW - Hokkaido ice cream really is very good.  For once, the youtube hype was correct.  Never thought I would like milk flavored ice cream but it was great.  There is a Hokkaido Foodist shop near the Yaesu Central exit of Tokyo Station so we indulged there as well.  Not quite as good as eating it outside at a snow event in Hokkaido but still pretty good.

Ciao,

Tony

Hakodate fireworks.jpg

Hokkaido ice cream.jpg

Hokkaido KiHas.jpg

Hokkaido snow sculpture.jpg

Edited by Tony Galiani
additional comments
  • Like 7
Tony Galiani

A few more pics from my wife's phone:  two from the Nebuta Museum in Aomori and the Marunouchi Illuminations in Tokyo.  I was happy to see that the Illuminations in various areas continue into February so that we were able to see them.

Ciao,

Tony

Nebuta Museum 2.jpg

Nebuta Museum.jpg

Marounuchi Illumination.jpg

• Like 4
Tony Galiani

More illumination views, this time from Enoshima plus one manhole cover.  I guess my wife was fascinated by these as well as sorting through her phone pictures, I see that she took a bunch of them.  This one if from Enoshima.

Ciao,

Tony

Enoshima 1.jpg

Enoshima 2.jpg

Enoshima manhole cover.jpg

• Like 2
Tony Galiani

I think I have one more batch or so of pictures but I want to mention something I have not posted:  the Yodobashi Camera Theme Song!

I do not know how my wife managed to spend more than an hour shopping there - I lasted about 10 minutes before I had to leave - and, miraculously and thankfully - I did not pick up a dreaded ear worm from my exposure.  I am not sure how many people realize this but it is based on an American folk song / spiritual which makes it all the more bizarre - at least to me.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1
chadbag
35 minutes ago, Tony Galiani said:

I think I have one more batch or so of pictures but I want to mention something I have not posted:  the Yodobashi Camera Theme Song!

I do not know how my wife managed to spend more than an hour shopping there - I lasted about 10 minutes before I had to leave - and, miraculously and thankfully - I did not pick up a dreaded ear worm from my exposure.  I am not sure how many people realize this but it is based on an American folk song / spiritual which makes it all the more bizarre - at least to me.

Cheers,

Tony

If you ever decide you are waxing nostalgic from your visit you can always go to YouTube.  There are plenty of videos featuring the song.

I don't know if they still do it but they used to play it in many different languages rotating.  When I am in store I just tune it out.  I can walk around the store for a long time if need be but I've been there so many times I've checked all the boxes and now just get down to business.

Seems they've had a variant of the song since 1978 at least:  

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1
Tony Galiani

My wife has the first one on her phone!  For some reason I can't tune it out and just get overwhelmed by the weirdness.  And John Brown must be rolling over in his grave!

Tony

• Like 1
kuro68000

They actually have different versions for some, maybe all branches of Yodobashi Camera. The Kichijoji one is kinda funny because, doubtless due to some managerial mix-up, they have to sing "Kichijoni no Yodobashi Camera", and the redundant "no" messes up the timing.

Anyway, this prompted me to edit another audio recording:

Enjoy the ambience 🙂

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

One last batch of pictures (unless I find one of the Death by Curry kei truck for Jeff):  some scenes from Ueno Park, a manhole cover at Enoshima and an Enoden model railway layout at the station for Enoshima which also had some other Enoden memorabilia.

We had a great trip and all the info I received from Forum members was a huge help.  Already planning my next one!

Ciao,

Tony

Enoden train layout.jpg

Enoshima manhole cover.jpg

Ueno Park Lamp.jpg

Ueno Park View.jpg

• Like 5