Why are Kato DD51 couplers so long?

Shinchipboard

Shinchipboard

I have a Kato 7008-1 DD51 that I would like to convert to knuckle couplers but the supplied coupler is enormous + long. I suspect this may be to accommodate tighter radii.

Anybody tried less obtrusive buckeyes? I have seen some on you tube but can't speak Japanese 😕

Shinchipboard

I found a type of Kato coupler that is very short and terminates in a square U shaped end with a hole in it that fits the loco exactly. It is a two part with a tiny arm that fits into the larger knuckle part. The only reason I use knuckle couplers is to make things look better and some of the couplers supplied with the locos are grosse.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 17.04.43.jpg

For future reference, you can buy Kato couplers amongst other parts as spares. As you’re in the UK, the main distributor for Kato is Gaugemaster. They can order Assy parts as they’re called but expect to wait a couple of months as they’ll order to be added to the next shipped container. Train Trax as a website solely dealing with Kato may also be able to do this on your behalf but I’m of the understanding the stock still comes through Gaugemaster.  

Kato locos either come with a medium or short shank knuckle, dependant on age of loco and whether the coupler needs to clear snow ploughs etc.. 

Most will take the shorter shank although the tolerances on tighter corners will be reduced. The shorter type was known as the EF66 coupler as perhaps the first model Kato produced that  same with it. Part number is Z01-0224. 

Alternatively Kato now produce the same part with magnetic arm 28-255 for uncoupling with the magnet uncoupling rail.