Folded Bone Layouts

AhmadKane

So.. Been a while since Ive posted. I'm in Finland now, and the trains were only in a box only out for exhibitions. Now after staying somewhere a bit more permanent than a studio, I feel making a layout again. So I sat down with my partner in front of SCARM to browse and brainstorm layout designs. 

All layouts are done in 2x4 or 135x75cm Ikea tables. They are inspired after conventional folded ones by Noch (only with a clearance for shinkansens and longer rolling stocks) 

I was wondering if you guys have any ideas or suggestions

IMG-20231116-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20231116-WA0013.jpeg

IMG-20231116-WA0015.jpeg

IMG-20231116-WA0032.jpeg

Ahmad,

welcome back to the forums! Wow now in Norway! In your residency now?

For that small of a layout you might look at doing 2 wandering lines instead of a double mainline as it’s going to be mostly track and almost no straights.

might pick this book up as some very creative ideas for small layouts. It’s great inspiration and thinking different.

cheers

jeff

12 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Ahmad,

welcome back to the forums! Wow now in Norway! In your residency now?

Im in Finland lmao, yeah thats my current residence for the past couple of years. 

When you say "wandering line" I assume its a singular rail line without a parallel. Since the 1st till 3rd design has a parallel line. So I take it I should reduce the parallel lines of the 1st and 3rd designs to have more space? 

6 hours ago, bc6 said:

I like the 3rd and 4th layouts they both have elements that I like mainly the turntable.

Yeah I recently got a Fleischmann manual turntable and they serve as a more space saving way to store locomotives in the layout, since I didnt have short KATO turnouts nor the space required for a yard. I like the concept of the 4th, that the turntable is on the hills overlooking valley. 

The main issues with the 3rd and 4th designs are the radiuses. Since Im planning to run shinkansens (Kato Nozomi 500) they should at least have a clearance of 249 (which is already too large of a slice) 

But yeah. A part I agree is that theres too much track, thats why I used tunneled a lot so that theres some towns on hills that could be made. 

On 11/18/2023 at 6:19 PM, cteno4 said:

might pick this book up as some very creative ideas for small layouts. It’s great inspiration and thinking different.

Ive checked a couple and found some interesting ones

https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/145663369205715737/

I like the central harbour and the loops, I could probably change the industrial harbour into a passenger one. Its also very flavorful. 

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/341569953002521270/

This would employ the use of two mainlines and an underground console. I have some ikea shelves that could work as the foundation for this. 

This might seem a bit too high to make and a lot of foundations, but overall I like the concept, this also has two end lines that allow an extension in the future. 

Yeah either single line that does and up and over or something or two loops that are not totally parallel tracks and maybe one does an up and over or something.

jeff

So after a long time, I got all my unitracks with me. 

IMG-20231213-WA0011.thumb.jpeg.088d4039467f26f77d2372b58951dacb.jpeg

And this is the plan chosen. Inspired by this layout. Except with a bigger outer radius to allow express lines to pass.

IMG_20231213_153359.thumb.jpg.7d09917bee3e562c39298e4b8463a70f.jpg

Currently inserting the tracks and since I have a lot of leftovers I'll play with the yard design a little. I need to drill the table later on to fit the fleischmann manual turntable. 

On a sidenote. I've taken inspiration from Steve's Trains on his 2x4 layout to add a simple double track loop at the bottom of the layout where Intercity EMUs and High Speed Trains will roll. They will mostly be inside the tunnel as to give an effect that it was just passing by. The tracks will not be connected to the upper layout but will be connected with each other with a double cross. 

Progress update will be moved to layout building page. 

• Like 4