Unitram Points Causing power issue ????

Burtos

I Have a layout where i have the following setup, (missing one point to complete setup). it does do a loop off to the left and than back around to emerge from the top rail. 

image.thumb.png.212ea26c49ecd27abd097f4551f5d793.png

When trying to run 2 trams in both directions, i'm unable to do it as the 2nd one doesn't work, but if i switch off the running controller and than use the other controller still plugged into track 2,  the 1st tram still works but the 2nd one still doesn't.  All points are open to go straight on

I've removed the points and all seems ok, i can than run both trams separately at the same time.

Also noticed that the controller's led lights starts to turn red when increasing power.  

Edited by Burtos

may of found the fix, from another post search

ISOLATION (ONLY NEEDED FOR TWO CONTROLLERS):

All four paths through the 90 cross must be completely isolated using 8 black Kato isolators. If not, there will still be just one polarity circuit and two controllers will fight each other. I think it is best for shorts for the isolators to be paired together at the same track gap. There may be a slight collision advantage to coasting pass the 90 crossing if one of the controllers is accidentally off, so I consider right vs. left hand traffic in placing the isolators.  For American RHT, the attached photo shows the isolator pairs in yellow highlight.  Japanese LHT would be the mirror image for best coasting. I show the seperate controller paths (each an electrical +/- circuit) in red and in blue.

image.png.55cac02cf341d6400e9e608e393af775.png

need some of these 24-816 Uni-joiner insulated - Train Trax 

@Burtos with this sort of double figure 8 with the crossover even without the points you have an issue that your inside and outside tracks flip flop on the two end loops (ie throttle a is inside left loop and outside right loop and throttle b the opposite). Your points then at the crossover can switch the trams over to the other throttle so you need them properly insulated so the two throttles don’t cross circuit when points connect the two throttles. you will need insulated unijoiners between the each of the points between the 2 sets of points.

In addition when you go on the divergent point and switch to the other controller once you clear the first point you need to make sure your polarity of the throttle you are moving to is going the proper direction.

you could also opt to have the figure 8 loop as your main loop be set up for independent controllers and not isolate at the crossover. But as you note this is is more prone to crossovers, but flips trams from inside on one side and outside on the other if you want variety… green is where the isolators would go for the other config.

you are spot on best way to figure these things out is to use colored pens (physical or computer) and just trace out paths,

cheers

jeff

IMG_2597.jpeg

this is a picture of the full layout, so would having those additional insulators, highlighted green in your post help.

image.thumb.png.4cafbfda5c19f72d0ed26c07e9dcaf9c.png

i may, just remove the points and replace with 186mm straights and use the points as entrance to sidings on the top left and right corners. 

Takahama Trainwatcher

I wonder whether a pair of autoreversers (like a Digitrax AR1) could be employed to flip the track polarities when required (after careful placement of insulated unijoiners)?

Edited by Takahama Trainwatcher

Seeing the whole layout, I think Jeff's solution would be the best for you, or you can relocate the points as you stated. That's quite a city you are developing!

Rich K.

Maybe I'm too tired to get it now and also I'm not used to Kato tracks, but...

As long as all turnouts are operated by the same control switch and can either be set to all straight ahead or all turn to the side, the only problem is that Kato turnouts aren't fully power routing, so insulation per cteno4's illustration is needed. One train controller for each track with two feeders each, on either side of the isolated sections should do the trick, right?