段ボールステーション

tossedman

I’m making a kit to start mine. Lots more to cut yet. Hardest part will be deciding where to put a plinth and what’s going on it. IMG_3937.thumb.jpeg.198ebfa01c646d12bca70f3c61c2f03f.jpeg

Cheers eh, 

Todd

• Like 6

Made my cardboard module. Revised a few parts to fit better and removed holes for wiring as this will be static. Total cost for materials so far is 44¢ Canadian. Plinth will go somewhere on the left, and a small station building will go on the platform. That's all I know so far.

IMG_3943.thumb.jpeg.74dddb42020c7a422c12a58c1195804d.jpeg

IMG_3945.thumb.jpeg.9273bcb5a5db4de8880b93504618a7d0.jpeg

Cheers,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 8

A few more minutes spent today. I changed the shape of the platform and am adding a small station building. Got three sides of the building done but will have to recut the front again because apparently I don't know how to measure. Steps and railings are to be drawn this weekend and cut on Monday.

IMG_3948.thumb.jpeg.5bbd106823a7eddfc88f719e97f9a2c0.jpeg

IMG_3949.thumb.jpeg.ba3fb4fa59a8ef138f9313fa472e0995.jpeg

IMG_3954.thumb.jpeg.5ae7f9a0993c54d7643e34efea2a43ef.jpeg

Stay tuned, more to come.

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 5
Martijn Meerts
On 11/4/2023 at 5:30 AM, tossedman said:

because apparently I don't know how to measure

Measure once, cut twice 😉

• Like 1

Well, as it turns out I know how to measure, I just don't know how to build. Doesn't matter though as I've decided to resize the station and platform to make then smaller. Added some elevation to the back of the module as well. Lastly, cut six little holes for the catenaries.

IMG_3963.thumb.JPG.bfb41bc8ff769f65d6ff9a0076fa7213.JPG

IMG_3967.thumb.JPG.ddaa8d3f83ea777271c3897d27c57ee2.JPG

• Like 6

I filled in the gaps between the track and the cardboard. First time cutting 3mm MDF at an angle with the laser cutter. Added some primer so the cardboard doesn’t warp. Found a power pole as well.  

IMG_3975.jpeg

Edited by tossedman
Had a second thought... and then a third one.
  • Like 6
4 hours ago, disturbman said:

Between all the participants, the level of skills is quite high this year.

That's because I haven't started yet!

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, mwagner said:

Nice and clean. I do like that. I have to think about a laser for my workshop. That‘s inspiring. 

I highly recommend a laser cutter. I have the advantage of access to a $30K laser cutter at work so I’m spoiled. I’ll need to get one for home when I retire as they are just too much fun. The good thing is the hobby machines are getting better and cheaper all the time.

Everything on my module, including the module itself, is laser cut - other than the train, power pole and catenaries. I’m surprised at how sturdy the module is, considering it’s cardboard. Could make for a cheap intro to T-Trak. 

• Like 2

If you have good cardboard, there is no reason for it to not be durable. I had done some tryouts with foamcore and 2mm high quality paperboard. They will last for years. The thing missing is non-manual cutting method.

• Like 1

And now to start hiding the cardboard.  I have a cupboard of various foliage like things that I glued down along with a few boulders (pebbles) from the back alley. 

IMG_3976.jpeg

IMG_3977.jpeg

Cheers,

Todd 

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 7

Yep folks have made Ttrak modules out of foamcore, corrugated cardboard, and chip/poster board that worked well. They are lightweight and sturdy. Just takes some practice with a matte knife and straight edge. Sadly that’s usually the bummer for newbies to learn and practice using a matte knife. But Todd’s use of spray primer is great on cardboard and chipboard. Have to check your foamcore and paint to make sure it doesn’t eat the foamcore.

i made huge exhibit models and up to 1:1 exhibit mockups out off chipboard and cardboard, worked great.

ia agree most Ttrak modules are way more than they need to be.

jeff

• Like 1
9 hours ago, disturbman said:

If only someone could think of mass-producing light modules...

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Todd maybe you should sell cardboard Ttrak module kits! These would be a lot cheaper to ship than the wood kits! 

jeff

Great idea guys. It'd be really easy and quick to pump those out. Problem is, I'm not allowed to commercialize anything made with the school laser cutter. It's frowned upon for some reason. 🧐

Todd

Bummer.  I was ready to order some to be sent to Fredericton!  Of course, there is always the issue as to what would happen to them in Canada Post!  According to my wife's family, that does not have a great reputation.

Tony

• Like 1

Fredericton! Are you moving around the world? Haven't been there in years. In regards to Canada Post though, I can honestly say that I've never had any problems with them.

Todd

Yeah it would be pricy even to ship lightweight cardboard module kits down us/Canadian shipping prices ain’t so cheap. 

bit the good thing is this avoids the recent scarcity (and then ensuing price hikes) of Baltic birch ply that stopped production at Ttrak module shops there for a while. Could even use the 3ply to give a bit more robustness. Getting good grade cardboard the trick. Way back I use to try sourcing nice ply from art supply and packaging sources and it was good, then I stumbled onto buying it from the local janitorial supply house of all places. They sold bundles of 25 sheets of 3’x6’ one ply or 15 sheets of 2ply for a fraction of the cost from the art or shipping supply and it was also way more rigid. I always meant to ask the janitorial supply house why they carried this high grade cardboard but I never did (or can’t remember why if I did).

a simple like doubled up 1” strip half way inset up in on the ends with some supports could have T nuts glued into them.

could include a piece off wood veneer to glue on the front face to fool everyone!

I’ll raise all this with the national nrail folks as they are actively trying to find cheaper and simpler alternatives for modules for beginners as it’s been a  real problem when it works out like $40 for just a module once shipped… maybe one of the shops that laser cuts ply modules might take a whack at cardboard ones.

cheers,

jeff

A couple of years ago I ordered 100 sheets of 122cm X 244cm X 4mm cardboard (4' X 8') sheets for one of my classes. Cost was about 6 bucks/sheet ($Can - that just over 4 US dollars). They didn't have enough 4mm sheets so replaced the missing sheets with 8mm at the same cost. It's effectively 2 sheets together. Heavy duty stuff.

We use it to prototype everything but originally got it for a design project where students were to design and build a cardboard chair that would hold a person comfortably. It's high quality stuff and I used scraps to make my module. The company we got it from promised same day delivery. I ordered it at about 9:00 AM and got it by 10AM. Now that's service!

Anyone with a laser could cut these and potentially sell them. If cut locally then shipping becomes a non-issue. 

Cheers,

Todd

@tossedman My wife is from Fredericton and thinks she might want to move back there.  We will be there for the holidays and it is a nice place but I am lukewarm about relocating there.  It would likely mean the end of my music career as all my work here (North Carolina) comes from connections.  Thought the donut options are way better there than here!

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 2

Well Tony, you will have a longer life playing music over eating great donuts (can’t eat just one good donut)! But I’m not sure which is more enjoyable for you.

jeff

3 hours ago, tossedman said:

A couple of years ago I ordered 100 sheets of 122cm X 244cm X 4mm cardboard (4' X 8') sheets for one of my classes.

The first bundle I ordered from the janitorial supply company was the same, phoned them in the morning and it was delivered just after lunch! I looked at this huge bundle and thought man I’ll never use this up I screwed up and ordered too much. But it was the minimum order and damn inexpensive. But it was eaten up within a few weeks as when the designer saw how much I could do with it so fast, the requests kept coming in! It was fun as Hopkins marine station was right next door and they always had Friday evening beers in their little beach and a big fire pit and fire. I would bring over a big pile of old models and toss them on and they would go up in a big wooosh! And everyone would cheer! Kind of a nice way to get rid of them.

jeff

• Like 1