Kato E6 motor is starting and stopping.

Bigdog

does it happen in the same places on your track? Have you tried just wiping a cloth on your track to see if lots of gunk on the track? If dark likes appear easily I would first try cleaning your track well. 

https://jnsforum.com/community/topic/18298-how-to-clean-black-residue-on-tracks-and-train-wheels/#comment-225743

if it’s primarily happening on curves then it could be a pickup out of adjustment that misses contact when the truck turns.

Have you tried flipping it over and tried applying power directly to the wheels with some stripped wires or probes hooked to your power supply? If it will stutters with power directly to wheels it may be pickup crud, but also pop the chassis out and try applying power directly to the power strips if they are visible. If still stuttering it’s the motor.

can you see if any crud on the wheels?

jeff

I’ve tried cleaning both the track and the motor but it still stops and I have to give it a little tap of encouragement for it to start moving again. I’ll try applying power later. Thanks for the advice

Could be a contact issue. The E6 is compatible with the EM13 decoders so have a strange shape on the brass pickup strips in the motor car. May be worth checking they’re seated correctly, the wheel contacts are making correct contact with the strips, and the strips to the motor. 

Probably something annoyingly simple but as these things rely on brass contact strips instead of soldered wiring, they can be temperamental.