The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Only just discovered the blog after someone posted a link to your discussion of the Evangelion SHIKI freight cars.

That was me. :grin I discovered your blog via google I think when I was looking for screenshots of the movie with the Shiki880.

Just to notify that I changed my nickname.

I'm Kumo (or loriskumo) on most of the places on the web, I'm Loris in real life, but here Tecchan feels much more relevant! ^_^

That's it folks, move along. ;-)

The Next Station Is...

Thanks for all the welcomes - and yes, I'm responsible for blogging a screenshot of the Shiki 880s as they appear in the film. It's actually one of two scenes, the other being the one before; I need to get a screenshot of that too!

Hi all N-ners,

Because my youngest daughter studdying japanese at university, I came up to some nice Japanese sites about modeltrains and nice tracks. Started with N gauge just two weeks ago. I was all that time collecting HO, specialy cars and trucks and plans to built some nice track. Since my oldest daughter left home, I would start modelling again. But, never could find a lay-out, that fitted my space and budget. I don't like a lay-out with much track, I'm more of the scenery. So, last week, I bought myself a TOMIX tram, with separate motor. Also some Roco-track.

Something about me. I am 54, married with children. I live in the Netherlands, area Rotterdam. Cab-driver for the living. (Buying all the tramstuff from my tip) Built myself a teardrop and went camping with it to France for the last 18 years. And last but not least, my hight is 2.06 meter, or 6.11

post-1027-13569931440052_thumb.jpg

Hi heNk,

Welcome to the forum! You are going to find a lot of other Dutch modelers here. It's interesting in that your favorite part of modeling is scenery and that is the area where I procrastinate.  :cheesy

You have started an nice project and there are members here who's specialty is Tram layouts. Look forward to your posts.

Bernard

Hello everyone... I am new to modelling trains from the country of Japan. I used to live in Japan and I actually took a trip riding behind C57 Yamaguchi more than 20 years ago. I have been selling off my American stuff (BNSF) and buying JR/JNR Steam Locomotives and freight cars. I joined this forum because of the frustation of finding models at decent prices. I don't mind buying used stuff. I've got some good deals on a certain auction site but the items are being sold by people either getting out of the hobby, downsizing or selling someone else's collection. It is next to impossible to get a good deal from anyone selling on 'the' auction site that are actually in Japan. Right now, I'm trying to find the newer Kato 2016 D51 at a decent price. Any help would be appreciated on that front. I'm actually thinking about callling the Kato store in Tokyo. My wife does speak Japanese if they can't understand my bad english.  :grin

You may ask me the reason(s) why I decided to change from BNSF to JR/JNR. Here are a couple: The freight trains are much shorter. The variety of steam locomotives available and the quality of those locomotives.

I've always been a big fan of Kato (They make some fine EMD and GE N scale diesels) and Micro Ace hasn't disappointed me so far. Tomix, well, the jury is still out when it comes to the quality of their locomotives. I have a 9600 2-8-0 and it does not match the Kato or Micro Ace versions.

I already read the thread referring to the Kawai bankruptcy so I am glad that the model part of the company will continue. I have some of their freight cars and the prices are cheaper.

One last thing: I would like to thank the Capt for helping me register. I kept getting an error telling me that the answers to the registration questions were wrong and he solved the problem for me. :sign4:

Well, I had better shut up for now...

Regards,

Death Letter 

Death letter - Welcome to the forum.

As far as prices, like everything you just have to wait for a good deal to arrive.... and then hope you don't get into a bidding war with someone.

CaptOblivious

One last thing: I would like to thank the Capt for helping me register. I kept getting an error telling me that the answers to the registration questions were wrong and he solved the problem for me. :sign4:

Just to be clear…that wasn't your fault! The title on the Wikipedia page referred to in the anti-spam questionnaire had changed!

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Martijn Meerts

Hello everyone... I am new to modelling trains from the country of Japan. I used to live in Japan and I actually took a trip riding behind C57 Yamaguchi more than 20 years ago. I have been selling off my American stuff (BNSF) and buying JR/JNR Steam Locomotives and freight cars. I joined this forum because of the frustation of finding models at decent prices. I don't mind buying used stuff. I've got some good deals on a certain auction site but the items are being sold by people either getting out of the hobby, downsizing or selling someone else's collection. It is next to impossible to get a good deal from anyone selling on 'the' auction site that are actually in Japan. Right now, I'm trying to find the newer Kato 2016 D51 at a decent price. Any help would be appreciated on that front. I'm actually thinking about callling the Kato store in Tokyo. My wife does speak Japanese if they can't understand my bad english.  :grin

You may ask me the reason(s) why I decided to change from BNSF to JR/JNR. Here are a couple: The freight trains are much shorter. The variety of steam locomotives available and the quality of those locomotives.

I've always been a big fan of Kato (They make some fine EMD and GE N scale diesels) and Micro Ace hasn't disappointed me so far. Tomix, well, the jury is still out when it comes to the quality of their locomotives. I have a 9600 2-8-0 and it does not match the Kato or Micro Ace versions.

I already read the thread referring to the Kawai bankruptcy so I am glad that the model part of the company will continue. I have some of their freight cars and the prices are cheaper.

Well, I had better shut up for now...

Regards,

Death Letter   

The Japanese models have been getting more expensive in recent times because of the strong Yen, but a lot of the non-Japanese stores selling Japanese trains have adjusted their prices upwards a bit too much :)

Personally, I tend to buy trains from Hobby Search and occasionally from Plaza Japan for some models I missed the pre-order on. Neither is very cheap, but they both have excellent service for which I don't mind paying a little extra.

As for Tomix, their quality is about the same as Kato and MicroAce, but Tomix doesn't do much with steam for the moment. The older steamers they did weren't the best, but their new C57 is a beauty.

And yes, there are some issues with the forum software, but it's being worked on =)

Hi All,

I've just joined the Forum on Jeff Reynolds' recommendation. 

I live in the UK and have been building and exhibiting layouts in various scales for some 20 years.  One of my current layouts, newly on the exhibtion circuit is a Japanese Z scale depicting a snow scene.  I'll try to post some photos.

Look foward to chatting with you all.

NORM.

Norm - Welcome to the forum...Jeff has some interesting posts....especially deals he finds on tools!

Bernard

Hi All,

I've just joined the Forum on Jeff Reynolds' recommendation. 

I live in the UK and have been building and exhibiting layouts in various scales for some 20 years.  One of my current layouts, newly on the exhibtion circuit is a Japanese Z scale depicting a snow scene.  I'll try to post some photos.

Look foward to chatting with you all.

NORM.

Ha, Ian i thought you would enjoy a fellow z scaler. Hopefully not so lonely now! Cant wait to see more of norm's scenes, hes done some snow scenes which you dont see very often!

jeff

Good morning from London,

I have had an account on here for a little while but have not really posted much.

I have a 00 gauge UK layout which sees very slow progress but it's getting there :), thinking of building an N Gauge Japanese layout too but I want to get somewhere with my 00 gauge one first.

I will most likely contribute to the section about actual rail operations in Japan the most but I might post in the other sections occasionally.

Thanks! :)

CaptOblivious

Hello bronzeonion! I've merged your post into our ginormous introduction thread. Would love to be able to read more about prototypical operations, looking forward to hearing what you have to share!

Hello bronzeonion! I've merged your post into our ginormous introduction thread. Would love to be able to read more about prototypical operations, looking forward to hearing what you have to share!

Sorry I didn't see this massive thread! Thanks for the welcome!

What I meant was the Japan Rail News & Announcements section, but will contribute to other sections of course! :)

Hello all,

I've been interested in model trains since I got my first HO scale Tyco set when I was a kid. Due to space limitations, I've become more interested in N-scale. I had an n-scale Southern Pacific / Union Pacific themed layout about 20 years ago but  packed it away when I moved from California. Fast forward 20 years and I now live in Georgia and I'm looking to get back into the hobby.

I am interested in building a modern era Japanese layout consisting of a Shinkansen line, commuter trains, trams and if there is room, maybe some freight trains.

The focal point will be a major downtown cityscape with all the cool buildings, signs and of course trains. I'd also like to include a harbor scene, a rural village and perhaps a mountain so I can have tunnels. 

I have space along two walls to do a 12 foot by 6 foot L shaped layout. My preference is for it to be 30 inches deep but could go to 36 inches at the ends if I need more space for bigger curves to accommodate the Shinkansen.

I'm pretty handy with tools and comfortable with basic electrical wiring. What I'm not good at is track planning or track planing software. I've also never worked with Kato Unitrack. I could use some help with an existing track plan that I could modify to fit my space / needs. I like building and painting scenery and buildings. I'm don't see myself doing a lot of train operations and switching. I'm more interested in achieving a good looking train layout where I can watch trains run. 

I look forward to getting involved and your assistance with my project.

Bttrains,

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Japanese n scale. Looks like you found the variety of models and scenes that can be done!

You might take a look at one of the JNS member's (curt) layout that has a lot of what you are describing for some track and scene ideas.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/curtlayout.html

Cheers

Jeff

Hi BTrain - welcome to the forum and it sounds like an interesting layout you're planning :)

How about starting a Thread about your planned layout and members here can offer suggestions.

As Bernard said, start a project thread and post your ideas, or desires.  We're always happy to make suggestions or comment on plans.

I'd suggest not going 36" deep though.  Reaching over the front part to work on the back gets harder once you're past 24".  I used to have a 36" deep layout, and working on the back was quite hard, and I was always snagging something on the front.

And welcome to the forum, and to Japanese trains.

Dear Friends,

I am Bernardo Turnbull from Mexico. I have been running an S scale American Flyer simple set for decades.

I just moved to N scale for space and many other reasons.

We just received our first set; it is Kato 10-453 (0 series Shinkansen, 8 cars) and we are very pleased with it.

However, the set includes a sticker sheet to complete the cars, and the instruction sheet comes only in Japanese.

Does anyone know where I can find a translation, web file, etc that could help me with this.

Thank you very much for your attention to this message

Bernardo.

bedrule@hotmail.com