Project party 2023

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

Hey everyone!

First of all, apologies for taking a while to finally get this post going. While I am definitely looking forward to seeing what people can do with the subject I have in mind, life has been a bit of a rollercoaster of late. With that out of the way, on to the more important stuff 😄 

Subject: Plinthed rolling stock

The main focus of the scene should be a plinthed locomotive, passenger coach, freight car, MoW equipment (or a combination of any of them). Some examples could be:

• A locomotive sitting outside a train station with a small roof over it to protected it from the elements
  • A thoroughly rusted locomotive sitting somewhere on the side of the road / rail line
  • A passenger coach converted to a restaurant or playground attraction
  • A box car converted to a model train layout room

What you want to focus on is up to you. This could be anything from super detailing due to the subject allowing for a very small diorama, or use the full space of a T-Trak module, and try to tell a story.

Date: November 1 to December 31

Prize: To be determined

Guidelines:

• Maximum size is 310mm x 200mm (the size of a standard T-Trak straight module), but there is no minimum size. Reasoning for this is so that as many people can join, even if they have little time.
  • While some track is probably necessary due to the subject, there is no need to have running trains or even power to the track.
  • Due to the fairly minimal size, focus would probably be on the general scenery and detailing (and possibly storytelling), so get your scenery building skills ready 🙂 
  • Everyone who joins should create a new dedicated thread (in the Project Party 2023 sub-forum) in which they can post pictures of their progress, and eventually the final result.
  • Shorty after December 31, we will be making a poll for people to vote on their favourite creation.

Hints:

• The subject will allow you to build something that you can drop in to a layout as in interesting scenic detail. So for those who have a layout, that's something to keep in mind.
  • Since you already know the maximum size, for those who have T-Trak modules already, feel free to already build the base. For those who don't have any interest in T-Trak, you could easily get away with a base of around 150mm x 100mm. Even smaller is also possible.
  • The subject should probably be protected from the elements, although even when not, it would still make for an interesting detail.
  • You can find the subject close to train stations, but I've also spotted one at an amusement park and even as the center piece on a roundabout.

I hope a lot of you will join in, and I'm looking forward to your creations! 😄

• Like 10
On 10/9/2023 at 8:20 AM, Martijn Meerts said:
  • The subject should probably be protected from the elements, although even when not, it would still make for an interesting detail.
  • You can find the subject close to train stations, but I've also spotted one at an amusement park and even as the center piece on a roundabout

Most mysterious.........

• Like 1
On 10/9/2023 at 4:20 PM, Martijn Meerts said:

Price: To be determined

"Prize"?

(Sorry, I won't have time in November to make anything)

• Like 2

Sorry I’m snowed with family health stuff here right now so doubt I’ll be able to participate, but maybe I can get one of my mini onetraks done for the challenge.

jeff

• Sad 1
Martijn Meerts

Small update!

After a little bit of back and forth, the time period to work on the project has been extended to 2 months instead of 1. This is so that as many people as possible can join in 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts

I've added the subject for the project. Hopefully it's small and interesting enough for people to want to / be able to join in.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask. Looking forward to seeing what you all can come up with!

• Like 2

This sounds like fun, and I really want to join in.

I am fearful of being able to complete it between now and the end of the year. I have a significant amount of travel, holiday commitments, and what-not over the next 2 months. If nothing else, I will have a good a start on a piece that I want to add to my layout.

2 months? I plan to make something in under 2 hours. Just thought I should mention that, to relieve some pressure from the rest of you. 😊

Have been looking for ideas based on uses of ex Tochiosen stock:

https://kk-kiyo.hatenablog.com/entry/2023/06/17/060119

http://haisen.cool.coocan.jp/tanbou1/Tochio/tochiosharyo.htm

The ramen-ya-car is rather nice but I think the car grafted onto the side of a building as an extension is the one to go for. Assuming that meets the definition of plinthed?

• Like 1

I've got some good ideas for a diorama that will end up on a layout. The broken arm might hold me back for a few weeks though.

I think I've got the perfect stars for it. Somehow when I was a kid I acquired a basic n-scale Greenmax Passenger cars kit. I assembled them and as they're just bodies they've been in a bits box unpainted waiting for use. It's just the other bits to make up the scene.

Edit: Or perhaps not, one's missing the roof and has a warped side. Both have visible signs of way too much glue application, thin window frames are melted! I suppose I could order a replacement Greenmax kit as some of them are cheap!

Edited by Rod.H
  • Like 3
Martijn Meerts

Sorry for being a bit quiet again the past weeks. I had some time off from work and spent a lot of that time being away from computers 🙂

In the meantime though, I did think of a couple of prizes. There will be a little something to choose from for a couple of the entries. I'm still deciding what exactly though, and how many entries will get to choose 😄