Shelf Layouts?

Matthew Brown

This is one half of my original shelf layout, on 30cm deep IKEA units:

26784356445_2df3a80133_z.jpg

overview-town-end by Rail Squid, on Flickr

More pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/railsquid/sets/72157663942541111/with/26784356445

It was intended to join up with another layout bit, but I ended up abandoning that plan.

2' or 60 cm is plenty of depth, unless you're trying to squeeze in a loop, then it becomes tricky.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Matthew Brown said:

I can only fit about 2' wide for a layout and as a Brit I'm familiar with the idea of shelf Layouts. Anyone doing that?

Reading your post made me start writing about my newest project, a layout designed to fit on a shelf half the with of yours.

When I hear the term shelf layout I think of a layout too narrow to allow placing a loop on it. At two feet width your space is wide enough to fit a loop for full lenght rolling stock, so that's quite a bit of space you've got. What's the lenght of your available space?

• Like 2

I just found you have written the answer to my question in another thread. 🙂

Welcome to the forum!

So, you've got 2 x 5 feet, i.e. about 600 x 1500 mm, possibly with some more space to spare in an L-shaped space, if I understood correctly?

For comparision, Tomix starter sets comes with a track oval that is 560 x 1120mm. Thus it's easily possible to fit a layout in your space. If keeping train lenghts short, it doesn't have to look particulary small. Not making a loop may or may not be better, depending on your interests.

What aspects of railway modelling seems most interesting to you?

Matthew Brown

I like little lines, which in Japan appear to occur anywhere. Short trains, 4 car max for passenger, and I like freight and electric or diesel.

Just more of a local than express feel.

• Like 1
Matthew Brown
On 10/1/2023 at 2:29 AM, MeTheSwede said:

For comparision, Tomix starter sets comes with a track oval that is 560 x 1120mm. Thus it's easily possible to fit a layout in your space. If keeping train lenghts short, it doesn't have to look particulary small. Not making a loop may or may not be better, depending on your interests.

What aspects of railway modelling seems most interesting to you?

I think I was stuck in a HO mind about what would fit!

Liking local trains is excellent from a space saving viewpoint! 😊

Just let us know if you have any other questions or is looking for advice. There are lots of people here who enjoy being helpful.

• Like 1
Barney_Leadhead

I have a space of 8' x 12" along the top of some bookshelves and was thinking of a HO shunting layout but am now considering a continuous run "test track" with R150 Kato track using only 4' of the available length.

My current plans are for small/short stock only so this could work well whilst I experiment.

I toyed with a 4mm scale layout on a 10' board a while back and even with short locos and two 57' coaches there wasn't going to be much movement of the train and whilst I enjoy shunting, sometimes I just like just running trains.

I have a shelf but not much of a layout on it these days. Well, I should say I had a shelf, as some 17 year old has nicked the middle section of it to make a shunting layout for their bedroom. It's 4575mm X 300mm. One end is about 450mm wide. It had a dog bone shaped track which would run short trains like B Train Shorties. The tightest corners are R117 Kato track.

It's still on my todo list for retirement or something.

Cheers

Todd

• Like 1