Kato’s My Tram Classic

bill937ca

Kato’s My Tram Classic will be out in December. 

https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/mytram_classic

It is based on the four-window trams built according to the guidelines of the Verbands öffentlicher Verkehrsbetriebe (VöV) (Association of Public Transport Companies) in West Germany as tram cars and sidecars from 1952 to 1958.  Its car body corresponded to that of the superstructure car and was essentially based on the war tram car (KSW) of the 1940s, but in contrast to it had four windows on each side. These cars were built reclaimed war damaged chassis (as was done in other European countries).  These were the last vehicles that were purchased in a combination of railcar and sidecar. Then the era of articulated railcars had began. About 270 tram cars and 120 sidecars were built.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbandswagen_(Straßenbahn)

This was time of every country having its own tram car builder. The Association tram cars were built by the dominate West German tram builder Duwag.   Similar four-wheel, boxy cars were found in Germany and other countries during the 50s and later:

Post-war West Germany            KSW

East Germany                             Gotha

Poland                                         Konstal N

I do not have a list of where Association tram cars operated but photos document Heidelberg Frankfurt am Main Freiburg, Lubeck and Rheinbahn (Dusseldorf).

There was a Type 1 and Type 2 Association tram. The Kato release is a Type 1 with generally boxy lines and squared windows.   HSB 80 is an example of a Type 2 with less severe corner windows.

https://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/deutschland~strassenbahn~rnv-oeg-heidelberg-ludwigshafen-mannheim/274465/triebwagen-80-bj-1956waggonfabrik-heinrich-fuchsheidelberg.html

There was also a second type of similar tram called the Umbauwagen or conversion tram. The Hannover / Hiroshima tram produced by Kato is of this type.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbauwagen

Colors

Tram colors but not all these locations ran Verbandswagen trams.

Blue and white:  Hamburg, Munich, Krakow, Zurich

Red & white: Vienna, Lodz, Poland in the 1950s

Green & white: Poznan

Yellow & white: Stuttgart, Lisbon

Operation

This type of tram was operated as three car sets well into the 70s and 80s in Europe. A few examples:  Prague until1974, Vienna until 1988 and Poznan 1992.

I expect this Kato tram release will have snap-on drawbars just like the Pocket Line tram. But, alas the Pocket Line trams only on one end of the tram. Both ends would allow up to three car sets or double traction for keeping these pesky four-wheelers from stalling over switches and crossovers. We will see.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Verbandswagen videos. A lot of wheel squeal probably because of solid steel wheels.

This is the type of tram Kato is offering.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Now for comparison here is a Wiener Linen Type A in  Vienna. These cars arrived from the plant where KSW cars were built in 1944. without trucks or motors. Between 1945 and 1949 these trams gradually entered service with either new or existing motors.  The window arrangement is different than the Verbandswagen trams and the step is outside the body.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsstraßenbahnwagen

Video by hamsterhamster2002

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Konstal N was built in Poland from 1948 to 1956.  it is essentially a knock-off of the German KSW. Today several are preserved in Krakow, Poznan and other Polish cities. The type N has enclosed steps, but truck cut outs unlike the Verbandswagen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstal_N

Museum sets in Krakow.  Video by Lukaszwo - Transport Movies

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

These video step back in time to the 1988 in Poznan.  Three car Konstal N sets are still running.  Homes were heated by coal and buildings were covered by soot. Trams stopped in the middle of the street. No barrier free boarding in those days.  Cars were free to drive by open tram doors.

Video by sebo666666

There's another longer video which can't be embedded by the creator's choice. It givea a better picture of some ot things I mentioned above. To view it you need to view the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtvHaCl7iF0&t=333s

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
brill27mcb

Hobby Search Japan now has received the 4 new "My Tram Classic" 2-axle motor/trailer pairs (with the improved power chassis).

Rich K.

bill937ca

Let's see if its set up so we can run a three car train with a motor and two trailers. I think not judging by the body.

CORRECTION: Looks possible by HS detail photos.

Edited by bill937ca
bill937ca

As of this morning all four variations are again in stock at Hobby Search and probably other outlets.

brill27mcb

Given the current exchange rate, these are the bargains of the century for N-gauge trams! So I ordered the whole 4-color rainbow, and earlier today my package was last reported apparently sitting in a dark container at Tokyo International ("TOKYO INT V CONTAINER 1, JAPAN") two days ago. I just checked again and they have now turned up in Jamaica  -  Jamaica, New York that is.

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb
  • Like 1
bill937ca

I'm happy. I have created my first three car train. A motor and two trailers.  Pardon the condition of the layout. It's been on extended hiatus since I hurt my surgically repaired knee and while having surgery for a tumor. The knee came back with 8 days of Advil. But I'm OK. Just not motivated right now.

IMG_0252 1024 x 768.jpg

Trailers are coupled with drawbars.  There are connectors at the back of the motor and at both ends of the trailers.

IMG_0253 1024 x 768.jpg

There are signboards included for the tram and trailers plus stickers.  I find these stickers very uninspiring. I was anticipating something with color logos.

IMG_0250 1024 x 768.jpg

Those are the signboards (above) and the stickers (below).

IMG_0251 1024 x 768.jpg

More photos.

IMG_0252 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_0255 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3
bill937ca

For those not familiar here is a Wien strassenbahn with a form of rooftop signboard--in this case promoting the tram museum.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
brill27mcb

Thanks for the photos, Bill, especially of the coupling bar arrangement.

Canadians on this list are no longer allowed to make jokes about slow package and mail delivery in Canada. My package is still in Jamaica (N.Y.)...

Rich K.

• Haha 1
bill937ca
2 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

Canadians on this list are no longer allowed to make jokes about slow package and mail delivery in Canada. My package is still in Jamaica (N.Y.)...

Rich K.

😜

You have four colors coming which might have slowed down USPS. 😁 Just too bright!!  Hah, I ordered the first of two Yellow trains last night.

Edited by bill937ca
railsquid
5 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Those are the signboards (above) and the stickers (below).

IMG_0251 1024 x 768.jpg

Looks like they didn't proof-read the German one, it was probably intended to read "Zirkus im Stadtpark".

Also not sure about a '3rd World Tour "Laugh"' ;).

Edited by railsquid
  • Haha 1
MeTheSwede

And Eastern Green River Tram?

I've heard of the concept of a river tram, but then it didn't ran on track...

• Like 1
mr bachmann

Interesting so far , starting a tram/bus layout combined with railroad connection . Kato trams  on order from Plaza , will also look into re-motor Bachmann trolleys with Tomix/Kato chassis .  Keep up the good modeling .

• Like 1

My two yellow units arrived today. They won’t be run permanently but are a not to Lisbon trams.

It’s probably my favourite place outside the UK so couldn’t resist getting a couple. 

bill937ca
7 hours ago, Robsr said:

My two yellow units arrived today. They won’t be run permanently but are a not to Lisbon trams.

It’s probably my favourite place outside the UK so couldn’t resist getting a couple. 

Very close to a Carris' ligerio' or lightweight.  It was projected as an 'edgy' design, although some called them inelegant.  Nickname was 'caixote' or crate. Also known as box trams.

There were at least 131 single truck 'caixotes' built between 1947 and 1964, plus 100 similar trailers built 1952-1957.

Carris motor 749 and trailer 101 in the Museu Carris in Lisbon. I've ordered a yellow pair to commemorate past trips to Lisbon.

These cars were retired in the 1990s.

7403742694_ec1dcd384b_h.jpg

5773446495_8bed0091f7_h.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
bill937ca

Having fun playing with the toys. For the first time I am running double traction with two motor cars. 

Its real rough ride over the Tomix Wide Tram modified turnouts on the inner track. On the outer track its smooth running all the way.  The weak link in all this is the delicate drawbar.  Still seeking spares.

That track rises up at the turnout. Pushing it down doesn't work, so I may have to pull the whole thing up.  Can't remeember where I was then work stopped on the layout.

Running at "bat-out-of-hell" speed on the inner loop, the only speed at which it consistently ran without derailing.

IMG_0261 cropped.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
bill937ca

With double traction and three-car trains I  am happy with these little trams. They fulfill all my desires for this product.

• Like 3
brill27mcb

Bill, check that the turnout and the piece of track ahead of it are joined together properly. There seems to be a gap there, and the trams seem to start hopping before they actually reach the points. The track piece ahead also looks higher up than the one next to it.

Rich K.

• Like 1
bill937ca

One other note. I ran a double-header of tram plus trailer x 2 on the outer loop and except at the slowest speed the two trains stayed spaced apart quite evenly.

• Like 3
mr bachmann
On 2/8/2024 at 5:14 PM, mr bachmann said:

Interesting so far , starting a tram/bus layout combined with railroad connection . Kato trams  on order from Plaza , will also look into re-motor Bachmann trolleys with Tomix/Kato chassis .  Keep up the good modeling .

Order arrived within a week (UK) , since order more track and tram also arrived , pleased and recommend Plaza .😀