I need a station that can fit a 10 car train and that works with unitrack. Any suggestions would be helpful

Bigdog

All of the usual Kato platforms can also be used and just a section cut out or one platform (and roofs if wanted) to set your length to the desired overall platform length. Same could also be used with Tomix platforms.

jeff

30 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

All of the usual Kato platforms can also be used and just a section cut out or one platform (and roofs if wanted) to set your length to the desired overall platform length. Same could also be used with Tomix platforms.

jeff

I’m not really sure where you can get the extra sections for msrp. The only ones I’ve found have been on eBay for outrageous amounts

Hugh looks like Kato has not been restocking the us on platforms lately. Yes would need to buy from japan. You might contact katousa or model train stuff (mb kliens they are a big Kato seller and distributor) to see if they are going to be restocked soon. Tomix and greenmax platforms you will need to order from japan as no us distributors.

also if you want, they are one of the simpler things to scratch build from some stored sheet and some styrene strips. Roof is the more complex bit.

Some more information would help in giving you advice. what sort of platform do you want? Shinkansen, express, roofs? How many tracks? Platforms on the outside of the tracks or island platform between tracks? Tomix or Kato track?

I think 5 Kato platforms and 2 straight end platforms might just make 10 cars (may need a partial filler). It would be 2x200mm and 5x248mm so 1640mm total. Measure your trains and see how that works. 2 sets of these for outside a double track section would be about $125 from hs shipped EMS (but cheaper I expect from a few of the other Japanese sources). A single passing siding platform of curved ends and 5 center sections would be about $73 shipped EMS.

greenmax kits may be the best bet if you want to kitbash things, may be easier than cutting up prebuilt platforms.

jeff

3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Hugh looks like Kato has not been restocking the us on platforms lately. Yes would need to buy from japan. You might contact katousa or model train stuff (mb kliens they are a big Kato seller and distributor) to see if they are going to be restocked soon. Tomix and greenmax platforms you will need to order from japan as no us distributors.

also if you want, they are one of the simpler things to scratch build from some stored sheet and some styrene strips. Roof is the more complex bit.

Some more information would help in giving you advice. what sort of platform do you want? Shinkansen, express, roofs? How many tracks? Platforms on the outside of the tracks or island platform between tracks? Tomix or Kato track?

I think 5 Kato platforms and 2 straight end platforms might just make 10 cars (may need a partial filler). It would be 2x200mm and 5x248mm so 1640mm total. Measure your trains and see how that works. 2 sets of these for outside a double track section would be about $125 from hs shipped EMS (but cheaper I expect from a few of the other Japanese sources). A single passing siding platform of curved ends and 5 center sections would be about $73 shipped EMS.

greenmax kits may be the best bet if you want to kitbash things, may be easier than cutting up prebuilt platforms.

jeff

I’m trying to expand my commuter layout as my current one is not very impressive. I use Kato unitrack and I’m trying to have 2 island platforms. Also thank you all for the advice. I could of never found it my self

Ok do you have any platforms already? If so then I would just continue with the same to expand. Of course Kato platforms will play better with Unitrak with spacings and curves. You can easily saw off the end of a platform if you need to shorten it a bit. On the curved island platforms it’s best to check your trains on where to fit the platforms best. If put to katos specs all the way into the siding S curve, some trains can bump the platform end on the S curve on higher speed trips thru and can at times cause some derailments. On our club’s island platforms like this in our last layouts large shinkansen station had issues like this randomly and moving the platform ends in a half an inch stopped it.

plazajapan, hobbysearch, modeltrainplus, and rg Rokko may be the best sources, shipped prices may vary by 10-20%.

jeff

I do have 2 island stations that can fit 6 cars on each side. Thanks for the websites will order them now

Edited by Bigdog