Japan Electric Tablet Instruments (タブレット)

SL58654号

I've always held a great fondness for the British-style signalling techniques, especially the tablet instruments that were once prevalent on all single-line rural Japanese railways. Those large brass discs held in carrier pouches that drivers caught on the fly impress me every time I watch them be exchanged. And the sweet friendly ding the brightly-painted machines make when they receive and distribute their tablets for the previous and next section, respectively, charms me. Some locomotives and rail cars had tablet catchers attached to them, too.

Most of these instruments I know were direct copies of Tyer's Electric Train Tablet No. 7, and they were good and long-serving examples. These instruments were also used widely in New Zealand.
Were any other styles or sizes of tablet apparatus used in Japan? I've seen some images of Webb and Thompson large staff instruments, but I'm unaware if any Japanese lines employed them. 

1 hour ago, SL58654号 said:

I've seen some images of Webb and Thompson large staff instruments, but I'm unaware if any Japanese lines employed them. 

Those two instruments in the image are from a Japanese line, however I'm unable to distinguish which line it came from as the description card is illegible.

Cheers NB

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Nick_Burman said:

Those two instruments in the image are from a Japanese line, however I'm unable to distinguish which line it came from as the description card is illegible.

Cheers NB

You're right. I was wondering if any more of those large staff instruments were used in Japan, or if any miniature staff or key token instruments were used. 

Cheers MB