I want to make a MOW fleet where do I start

Melandir

Does snow-clearing equipment count as MOW? I'm mighty interested in the steam rotary snowblowers Japan had as well as the locomotive-hauled snow scrapers (what are they called exactly?) used to put snow in the way of them. Not to mention the dedicated snow-clearing DL like DD14 and DE15. 

I’ve always assumed snow removal equipment fell under MOW even though it’s not really maintaining track or catenary. But maybe the purist definition separates them.

jeff

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I’ve always assumed snow removal equipment fell under MOW even though it’s not really maintaining track or catenary. But maybe the purist definition separates them.

jeff

It might be operations.  Streetcar systems often used regular crews (on overtime) to man snow sweepers and snow plows.

Orbital motor car:

A type of small self-propelled powered railway vehicle used primarily for railway maintenance work. In Japan, legally speaking, they are treated as ``machines'' for work without vehicle registration, and are not considered ``railroad vehicles.''

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/yoshi0749/e/cf94f7ef588030c419332affdc88d95b

Model version.

https://rail.hobidas.com/feature/386088/

Edited by bill937ca
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, bc6 said:

This is what I have so for for a MOW train.

20231027_211618.jpg

Love the guy lying down on the job!

That yellow hi-rail crane looks like the one I have, but I can’t make out the attachment on the end of the boom.  Is that a rail lifter?

DenshaTen

I'm tempted to order one as they are a pretty interesting piece. I haven't been able to figure out the difference between the colours/company's though. Is anyone wiser than me able to tell me which one of the three would be the most correct to match my current JR East (specifically Fukushima) collection?

Any although not sure around Fukushima. Union Construction has a main shareholder of JR East and Totetsu have contracts with JR too and are based in the JR building in Shinjuku. The Plasser one I assume is the Austrian companies manufacturer livery. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen the Green Tie Tamper in a video or two in some live-action videos. 

Found it!!!

DenshaTen

I'm pretty sure I've seen that colour in person in Japan so that's probably the most sensible to go with. Thanks guys!