Tomix Adaptor to Run Multiple loops From One Transformer

PDXTrains

As you know, Kato makes a three way female plug that accepts three different power feeders and mixes it down to one male junction that goes into a transformer, making it possible to run multiple loops of independent track off of one transformer.

So, two questions:

Is there such a part for Tomix tram track systems that would allow me to run 2-3 loops with one train each, and two

Can a Tomix transformer handle up to 3, say, Kato trams at one time?

Thanks,

Thom

27 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

There is a DC feeder branching cord which is typically used to add feeders to the same track path.  BUT this for multiple trams is a dangerous idea. If the polarity is not right you can blow motors and possibly even power packs.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10010012

So the standard is a transformer for each loop?

Thanks!

Thom

1 hour ago, PDXTrains said:

As you know, Kato makes a three way female plug that accepts three different power feeders and mixes it down to one male junction that goes into a transformer, making it possible to run multiple loops of independent track off of one transformer.

So, two questions:

Is there such a part for Tomix tram track systems that would allow me to run 2-3 loops with one train each, and two

Can a Tomix transformer handle up to 3, say, Kato trams at one time?

Thanks,

Thom

Yes, you can use the Tomix #5812 "Y" splitter cable for which Bill provided the link. As long as the 2 loops are truly independent (meaning a tram can't get from one loop to another, there will be no issue. As Bill points out, if a tram goes from one loop to another, or from one electrical block to another block, and the polarity of the feeders is not matched, you can create a short circuit. Most likely, the power pack circuit breaker will be tripped and will shut off power before any damage is done. Tomix packs have very quick-acting breakers.

If you are thinking of a 2-track street or parallel lines, with one tram going in each direction, you just orient the track feeders in opposite directions on the underside of the track on the two loops and the trams will run in opposite directions.

As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, there are some drawbacks to running multiple trams with a single power pack. You only have one control dial and one reverse switch, and the power pack will provide the same voltage to all of the trams that are running. So if you stop a tram at a stop, the other trams will stop, too, wherever they are. If at that voltage one tram runs fast (like Tomytec trams do) and another tram which is running runs slower at that same voltage, that makes a difficult situation. However, you can always start out that way and add another power pack later, if initial budget is an issue.

There also should be no problem running 3 trams on one Tomix power pack. They don't draw very much current.

Rich K.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
VentureForth

When I bought my crossover set, the diagrams showed two power packs chained together, one powering the port loop and one powering the inner loop. I don't know how it works. I only have one power pack. Does it disable pack 2 when the crossover is crossing and activate when straight? If that is the case, could it work like that on trams?

Generally folks run a power pack for each line of a double track loop, one powerpack for the inner loop and one for the outer track. If you have a double crossover these are insulated so the inner and outer tracks don’t connect when you switch them to move between tracks. When you go thru the crossover you just have to make sure the power packs are set to the same direction and speed and the train will run across the double crossover and onto the other track. For a short moment it may speed up when one truck is on one side of the crossover and the back truck on the other. 

if you use 2 points to create a crossover between double track you need to put insulated rail joiners on the ends of the points at the crossover point to isolate the two transformers.

jeff

bill937ca

You can do a lot with one power pack. I just limited myself to one train with one controller to protect the investment.

Edited by bill937ca