Buildings for V60

PDXTrains

Hello Tram Friends:

I have pretty much decided to build a small Tram layout in the middle of a larger tabletop layout, and since it is likely at this point to expand, V60 kit will work just fine. I've researched it a bit and like what i see.

The square in the middle is clearly for building use, but having never seen in person the Kato urban buildings I'm try to visualize how many are needed for the center square of the layout. 

I found, for reference, some Kato buuldings in the style I'd like to have, already built out, on Amazon.jp. 

can anyone who has the TV1 or V60 basic kit (the same size I understand) comment on how many buildings of the following general type I'd need to fill the center?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Gauge-Brand-Building-23-439-Supplies/dp/B09HQQKZ7T/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3MEPMXRB4J7Z3&keywords=kato+n+scale+buildings&qid=1692759190&sprefix=kato+n+scale+buildings%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-11

If the Frequently Purchased Together shows up for you on the bottom of the listing, those are also buildings that look to be in the same series.

Thanks in advance,

Thom

Thom,

there are a few Tomix prebuilt as well and a bunch of midsized Tomytec buildings as well. You will find a great variety in buildings in japan on a block, zoning and development allows for a lot of variety! Google street view is a great way to get ideas for combos of buildings.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=rail&target=itemseries&searchkey=Building+Collection

tomytec you just pop together (you can glue but they will pressure fit together) and they are all prepainted and detailed. 

outlands are CNC cut styrene and either just gray plastic or CNC router into gray plastic with a solid painted surface. They don’t have interior floors (except one for structural support in taller buildings in the middle, and little detailing (some more than others). Floors can be added easily if you want them. Some have nice windows and others you just out clear acetate behind the walls. They pop together with small pegs and holes cut with the CNC. One issues is windows as CNC cutting leaves a small curve in each window corner. Not horrible but visible closer. You can easily get rid of the by running a square fine carefully in each corner to square them off. But they have a variety and you can order them economically usually directly from Outland as they have $6 flat shipping per order. Usually come in a couple of weeks or so. Big topic on them

greenmax also have a number of larger building kits. Most all need assembly and are unpainted (few recently are coming prepainted but unassembled as well).
also price check amazon.jp against some of the other shops on buildings, sometimes a great deal, sometimes not, they are still spotty on model trains. Shipping use to be the big advantage with amazon.jp, but it’s gone up a lot in the last year or so at amazon.jp.

cheers

jeff

Your amazon.jp link does not work for me, but as others suggest, in general you can use any buildings you want. Most building listings will have a width and depth specified, so you can use them to plan. Many Kato buildings are designed with dimensions that work well with the 62 mm multiple found in Kato track lengths. Small leftover gaps between buildings in your block can be considered scenically to be alleys. It's best to avoid buildings having a front sidewalk as part of their base (you can cut them off if desired), since the V60 already provides uniform sidewalks. Some buildings have a definite Japanese, American or European flavor to them, while others are "generic urban" and would fit in anywhere.

I have seen a few V60 sets on ebay with decent prices asked, so shop around.

Rich K.