Anyone used Yu-Pri at Japan Post?

I've created a Japan post account (via the website in English) and I see that I can create international shipping labels, that are then printed out at the post office on a Yu-Pri terminal.

Has anyone tried it? Do the barcodes scan off phone screens okay? Well, I'm sure if they don't then the staff will help out - it does mention that if they don't have a terminal, you can show the staff instead.

Some interesting things I noticed. It asks for weight, but not dimensions. There are maximum dimensions but beyond that it doesn't seem to affect the cost. I.e. a larger box with 9 layers of light weight packing material isn't any more expensive than a smaller one. Also the price goes up in increments of 1kg, so 5.0kg is the same price as 5.9kg.

Details here: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-charge/index.php?lang=_en

Anyway, it sounds great. I had good luck with surface shipping to the UK in the past. I shipped some train stuff and some computers, all arrived in the UK fine. I hear the US system is a bit more brutal.

• Thanks 1
Yugamu Tsuki

I am super interested in this as I plan on living off a backpack next time and just shipping everything home. Now with the "non hand-written labels allowed" I was in a bind.

• Like 2

@Yugamu Tsuki @mojo it's actually a fairly simple system and works well.

On my last trip, I had to use Yu-Pri terminals several times while making parcels. The staff at Shinjuku-Kabukicho had a little printed card which explained to the uninitiated and first time users how the system works and what you need to do which was super helpful - in fact you don't even need an account to make the labels, you can sign in as a guest which is what I did. Once the labels have been created, they get emailed to your inbox with a link to a QR code. Just scan that at the terminal, and it spits out the necessary stuff, then it's off to get everything boxed up, paid for and sent off!

I used my elderly iPod Touch for mobile web browsing while I was in Japan and the Yu-Pri terminals had no issues with that whatsoever. So long as the little scanner can read the QR code, you're fine.

Alastair

• Like 4

Thanks Alastair, it's good to know that you don't have to register because I haven't had the registration confirmation email through!

For some reason certain Japanese mail providers just can't seem to email me. I get it with ANA too, their e-ticket emails never come through. I was hoping it might save some effort re-entering my address every time.

Speaking of which, when I did try to register it wanted an address in Japan. Same with when I just went to the post office and the staff helped me send some items. The return address needed to be in Japan, and of course most travellers don't have one. I'm fortunate in that I'm good friends with the owner of the hotel I stay at so I can use that address, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious work-around for everyone else.

Edit: I got the email to work using a Gmail address.

Edited by mojo
Yugamu Tsuki

Thanks Alastair and mojo. I was worried I would need to silver-tounge the hotel staff to print out labels for me. My old co-worker is being transferred back to Kansai in the next few months so I'll check if I can use his address for for the return field. This is all brilliant stuff to know ahead of time and I am very grateful.

Funnily enough I tried this new system for the first time this morning. The system worked relatively well with me making a JP Post account and creating my label on my phone before scanning the QR code it spat out at the actual post office. Having the required Japanese address to make an account was the most annoying part as I don't have one being a tourist! 

Once you've scanned the QR code and printed your label it still takes the post office people just as long as the old paper system to get everything sorted so make sure to allow plenty of time (took 90 minutes for me and 2 friends to send our parcels).

My biggest complaint with the system was that I couldn't find out how much my package was going to cost until the entire process was complete, at which point I think it's too late to back out! As I'm in Australia the only option seemed to be EMS but if you were hoping to compare the costs of EMS and SAL for example you would seemingly not be able to do this as to generate your QR code you will have already made your decision.

• Like 1

Thanks DenshaTen. Did they weight the packages? I see you have to put the weight in when creating the label on their website, but I thought they might check it before giving you the final price.

I don't think the weight is a required field as I didn't put it in. I didn't have any scales to weigh my package before visiting the post office either.

• Like 1

Thanks. I asked the clerk at Hard Off in Kichijoji if generally speaking Hard Off could ship stuff direct from the store. They said that in principle if they had a suitable box then they could do it. Of course they will want to use Yamato or a similar, expensive, and probably domestic only, courier.

So what I'm wondering is if they can just give you the box and some packing material, and you can then take it to the post office yourself. The answer is probably yes if they have some spare packing material. All part of the service. They might even attach a carry handle for you.

The main issue I can see if reluctance to pack delicate stuff, especially if it is missing the original packaging. I will have to practice accepting zero liability in Japanese.

Potential game changer if I can do it.

On 8/20/2023 at 8:08 AM, mojo said:

Thanks. I asked the clerk at Hard Off in Kichijoji if generally speaking Hard Off could ship stuff direct from the store. They said that in principle if they had a suitable box then they could do it. Of course they will want to use Yamato or a similar, expensive, and probably domestic only, courier.

So what I'm wondering is if they can just give you the box and some packing material, and you can then take it to the post office yourself. The answer is probably yes if they have some spare packing material. All part of the service. They might even attach a carry handle for you.

The main issue I can see if reluctance to pack delicate stuff, especially if it is missing the original packaging. I will have to practice accepting zero liability in Japanese.

Potential game changer if I can do it.

I don't think so, no. You might be better off to buy the box and packing material yourself - I can't see any shop providing it for you, even as a bona fide customer. I don't have any experience with Hard Off/Hobby Off though so take my thoughts at face value. The only thing I know for certain is that they will at least provide a bag for you unless you already have one and indicate that you would prefer to use it.