Not Japanese, but need help with a steam locomotive

ronin

I need help with an older American steam engine I have, a Norfolk & Western 2-8-8-2.  She's actually a good runner, but I have an issue with one of the rod assemblies having come loose/broken (see pics below). The 2 rods should connect to the wheel.

Any suggestions on how this can be fixed?

Thanks,

Eric

20230815_214818.thumb.jpg.370e7dc0bce87afa7f46b298d37743fd.jpg

20230815_2107462.thumb.jpg.83a119734d8964915188899cefde2e8c.jpg

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Well, the good thing is, they didn't come off completely, and you also have the 2nd set to use as an example.

Normally, there's a pin of sorts holding the rods in place in the wheel. In your case that pin might be part of the rod that's pointed upwards, since it looks like that should hold everything in place. The pin might have broken off though, I can't see that from the images.

If it has indeed broken off, you'll need a replacement part. If it hasn't, you should be able to just press it back into the wheel. If it's very loose and pops out again by itself, you can try to bulk up the pin a little bit with some putty or something like that, and sand it down to get it to fit snugly.

It might also be a totally different construction, but it's hard to see from the picture.

• Thanks 1

I agree with martijn’s assessment. It’s hard to see what is going on with the upper rod there, bit blurred and low resolution, but it almost looks like there is some solder on the end of the rod arm there or it could just be very fuzzy. Can you take a better close up of it? Get a bit more light on it so pixels sharpen up? Also snap a picture of the other side.

you may have better luck on one of the us n scale forums on how/where to get a replacement pin if it is missing.

jeff

• Thanks 1