Track plan ideas?

PDXTrains

Hello  Rail Friends:

Greetings from Portland!

I'm returning to N after years with O scale. I have a question about possible track layouts on a 3' x 6 'door.

I enjoy creating temporary layouts on cosco tables. I add scenery modules like buildings a figures that are drop and go on the layout. I use a tablecloth as a base. I'm happy with this, but I want to switch to a door to avoid the slightly different heights in tables that then require shims, etc. A stable door across stable table will be a much better base.

Here's my current temporary 40 x 40" set up.

I enjoy running N passenger trains and have been successful running them on 5  tracks. So I already know which trains would run in which radius track. I  don't mind independent loops. In this current temporary set up I have two MRC 6's running some loops and one has the  DCC hand controller. I like this controller because it easily switch to pure DC and to enough DCC to run sounds and functions, making it easy to switch between BLI sound DCC engines and Kato dc.  I also have a Digitrax Zephyr which I use but which is frankly overkill. I could easily run everything with the MRC 6s, which are marvels. The 5 and smallest loop I have running with a Kato DC controller and my pocket trains run on it. I am not really interested in switching, although one loop with a siding would by fun to simulate a passenger junction and occasional freight. 

DOOR LAYOUT

I've begun to trial run the door layout. Right now I have the V11 double track set running on the outside of the door, in an oval loop. I love that track, and would like to keep it. My question is, what to do next? I could simply transfer the loops I have from the 40 x 40 set up, whatever would fit. But I'm looking for ideas and variations.  Right now I'm inclined to make another loop with one #4 switch to add the spur, and maybe  a final innerloop of the tight radius and run streetcar pocket trains on it.

But I thought I'd consult the hive mind. Unfortunately, I haven't learned yet how to use track planning software.

As a final note, I tend to not make my layouts permanent. That will  be the case here. I add scenery as temporary modules between the tracks. My hope is to drill access holes for wires in the door, but also allowing me to change up the layout as I get bored with it. Fortunately, Kato track makes all of this easy to do.

I appreciate your thoughts and your time. Hoping there are folks out there like me who set up and take down and use a door as a base.

Kind regards

Thom7B4D8210-D9FF-40EE-A5A1-4BC98FABFD1B.thumb.jpeg.420d53aebe26570059b7492606662d51.jpeg

• Like 2

Me personally, I’d lose a couple of the tracks in favour of have some form of sweeping S bend in the design and as you’re limited for space, maybe even consider single track main line with passing loops. You could still add an inner loop for street cars and spurs off the main. 

It depends what you want to simulate but I personally would lose some of the track to allow a dog bone or similar design and lots of space for scenery so that trains disappear and reappear rather than look like they’re very obviously running around in a circle. 

You need to ask yourself, do I want a train set or a layout?  I’m not trying to be derogatory to either answer just this will affect your decisions on track to scenery ratio. If you want a layout, you’d really need to be realistic as to what you can represent in such a small space. 

Obviously if you want multiple trains running around, ignore all above 😂 and you may need to lose some of the straight on the 3’ sections and extend on the 6’. 

This is a temp set up, roughly the same size as you’re thinking, perhaps marginally wider and shorter. Using double track but the corners are R282 and R249 so you couldn’t run everything. Lots of space for scenery and the S Bend is a great place to watch trains over the crossing.  I have a largish limestone facility in the middle and a Tomix bus in currently very limited space. 

IMG_1643.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks! The great thing is I don't do permanent layouts anyway, so I can experiment and try what you're suggesting. I appreciate your time!

• Like 1