Small HON30 layout

tossedman

I've been messing around with the idea of an fictional HON30 layout for a while now. I picked up a Toma Model Works Porter 0-4-0 kit and am in the process of slowly building it. It's 3D resin printed and the detail is phenomenal. This thing is tiny as well, only 60mm from coupler to coupler. Makes me want a resin 3D printer. The toxicity of said printers holds me back though. I picked up some Peco 00-9 track. It's 9mm track just like N gauge but check out the spacing and length of the ties.

IMG_3858.thumb.jpeg.d67de902af5e66108b5bc43dd7fb78c8.jpeg  IMG_3861.thumb.jpeg.705b042f7243a935aafd420c211ce186.jpeg

I'm going to make a small 305mm X 1525mm layout using a section of the shelf layout that's been kicking around for years. The only thing for sure on it will be a scratchbuilt engine shed and a tiny station. Not sure what else will be there yet. Maybe some logs somewhere., maybe some touristy passenger cars, some sort of freight, who knows?

Here's the track plan. It's based on a 1995 layout from the UK called Charmouth but will have a Japanese flair.

HON30Layout.thumb.png.6ef8ba498e2d9f2423e182bcf3c94786.png

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 5

Welcome to the narrow gauge!

Please note that for a Japanese setting you will need to add a small turntable as even little tank engines were routinely turned to run chimney first because they were fussy. In the UK running tank and small tender engines backwards was common practice hence the absence of a turntable at Charmouth. The turntable is also important for single ended railcars and some types of diesel loco using truck gearboxes with only one very low reverse gear.

The easiest place to add a turntable might be out the back of the engine shed. The turntable at Ogoya was located behind the shed. Alternatively the top right siding perhaps.

• Like 1

Alrighty then. If a turntable I must have then a turntable I shall get. I was half considering one anyway. And Peco makes this little beauty

Since once again I have no idea as to what I’m doing, anyone who does, please feel free to chime in. 

Cheers,

Todd

G'day Todd,

"Charmouth" is a lovely layout, but as a typical British light railway I don't think the track plan looks very Japanese. The stations and yards of typical "keiben" tended to be fairly busy and compact facilities. By way of some examples, here's the Ogoya and Komatsu terminals of the Ogoya Railway. As Dafydd notes, turntables were used extensively on Japanese light railways to turn locos and railcars.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As for the turntable itself, you'll need something a bit bigger and more substantial than a Peco wagon turntable. This is a typical example,on the Shizuoka Railway Sunen line:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyway, it sounds like an interesting project. I have many more track diagrams and photos if you're interested, just ask.

All the best,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mark,

Yes please! Do share any track diagrams and pictures that you may have. I’m brand new to this and have only just begun to explore this side of Japanese railroads. Thanks for the above images. Lots of grist for the mill. All I know is the size of the layout and the gauge of the track so far, everything else is wide open. 

Cheers,

Todd

mags_minibuilds

@marknewton Hi Mark, I would, too, be interested in more track diagrams. I just built a Porter loco too and brainstorming ideas on a small diorama layout. Great info so far, Thanks!

Edited by mags_minibuilds