Analogue control of Kato turnouts

Shinchipboard

Shinchipboard

Hi,

I’m sure you all know a lot about Kato Unitrack. I have been using it for years and I have controlled the switches in the Kato way and with DCC.

What I would like to do now is have a control panel. It is only 12 turnouts on a small layout. When I controlled them by DCC I used the opposing diode method to produce a rough DC. 
I plan to be able to flick an  SPDT switch which permanently shows the setting of the switch rails then press a sprung push to make button to operate the switch coil.

I am attaching a circuit diagram for your thoughts on this method.

Kind regards from Scotland.

Douglas Smith

Untitled.pdf

Hi,

I would simplify all this and just use the very simple bcd capacitor discharge circuit. It’s very easy to do and utilizes a spot toggle to throw the point. Cap discharge is perfect pulse to activate the coil without bounce back or burning a coil out. Just use a regular 12v wall wart to power it, no need to using your dcc power and filter.

I’ll post the circuits tonight. George Stillwell who developed it many years ago use to request it not be posted and only emailed as he was going to publish it. Sadly he passed a number of years back and I was reluctant to post it but it’s been a few years and I suspect he would want it out for people to use.

jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Shinchipboard

Many thanks for your reply. I like the physicality of changing turnouts by hand and tired of the Roco system on tablet. My trains are DCC tho. Even managed to convert C59 + C62. Scared stiff of doing the C11!