Emergency Oil Train - I Need My Memory Jogged…

ATShinkansen

ATShinkansen

I’m sure it’s somewhere on this forum, but I think I remember some time ago about an event that called for an emergency oil train with a DD51 and a DE10.  There was something significant about it.  My memory was triggered about it recently, but I can’t figure out what exactly I’m looking for.

The event you're thinking about was part of the response to the Great East Japan Earthquake in 2011. I found a PDF article on JR Freight's response to the event here: https://www.ejrcf.or.jp/jrtr/jrtr60/pdf/28-33_web.pdf. NHK also had a special TV programme about the service titled "The Lifesaving Fuel Train" (at least that's what I remember it being called, I am not sure if it's still available online).

The DD51's in particular were used on the Ban'etsu West Line between Niigata Freight Terminal and Koriyama, double-heading ten-wagon rakes of TaKi 1000 tank wagons. This was the maximum allowed due to the steep gradients on the Ban'etsu West Line, which even then didn't leave much room for error when things went wrong, as they did at least once when a train stuck on a grade outside Aizu-Wakamatsu Station in a snowstorm and had to be assisted from behind by the local DE10 shunt engine. I think this is the event in particular you're thinking of?

What I wasn't aware of was that there were other fuel trains operating into Tohoku during this time, from Niigata to Morioka via Higashi-Aomori. Initially these trains used the last thirty-six TaKi 38000 tank wagons in service, before it was confirmed that TaKi 1000 tank wagons could be used over the same route with no issues.

Alastair

• Like 3
ATShinkansen

Yes, that’s what’s I’m looking for!  Thanks!

Somehow, I thought it was more recent than the Tohoku earthquake.  I think I saw that film, I remember at least seeing one that documented the whole event of moving that train.

• cteno4 changed the title to Emergency Oil Train - I Need My Memory Jogged…