Oldest operating equipment, most endangered lines, most scenic lines?

I've got ~11 days in Japan and would love to get in a few of the titled items

Oldest equipment: What line, when to catch it?

Scenic: I'm thinking the Obama line for coastal but welcome to any suggestions. Also would love something through rural, valley, river, etc

Endangered/rural: I've been told pretty much anything in Hokkaido and Shikoku but if anyone can provide specifics I'd appreciate it. I've read about sections that have already closed or converted to BRT. Would especially love the more rural lines using single car DMUs

Obviously the trifecta of all 3 would be great but I'm sure that's a stretch. Currently in Kyoto but can go anywhere

Also open to the rare/weird. I would like to check out a line that's been converted to BRT, anything with switchbacks (I intend on doing the romancecar to Hakone and riding the switchback line there unless you guys have other suggestions), or ops that are just not found elsewhere

Yugamu Tsuki

SL Hitoyoshi currently based out of Kumamoto is shutting down in the spring. This should check all 3 boxes.

https://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/train/sl.html

If staying in Kyoto I suggest the Sagano Romantic Train with raft return. I got to do this one with my host family about 20 years ago. It's based out of Arashiyama in north western Kyoto. This will be older equipment (diesel (truck) freighter made to be passenger [check out the "rich" seating with no walls or ceilings]) and scenic. 

https://www.sagano-kanko.co.jp/en/

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

@jvmal - Just read your post more carefully and saw the comment about switchbacks.  The Kisuki Line portion of the NHK show I mentioned features switchbacks.  The show has video of that part of the line and a diagram of the route at the switchback area.

Ciao,

Tony

1 hour ago, jvmal said:

Oldest equipment: What line, when to catch it?

It depends on how you want to define oldest, i.e. do you want the actual oldest specific train in operation, or are you looking for some of the oldest equipment still in scheduled service?

If it's the first, @bill937ca is indeed correct, as the Hankai Mo 161 type cars are indeed the oldest electric trains (or otherwise) still in scheduled service anywhere in Japan, with the 4 surviving cars having been built in 1928. That being said, though they are still in scheduled service, their diagrams are purposely kept light, and as previously mentioned their lack of AC means they aren't generally being used during the summer months, with the exception of the occasional special event.  So your chances of actually coming across one these cars during your trip would be slim.

That being said, personally I would still consider the Hankai Denkikidō to be a worthwhile visit, aside from it being one of the only surviving streetcar systems in the Keihanshin area, they also have a couple of interesting cars including the Mo 351 type cars built in 1962, which is a great representative of the way Japanese streetcar design adapted to the decline of the Japanese streetcar networks during the late 1950's and 1960's, as well as the Mo 501 type cars which were built in 1957, and are one of the last representatives of the so called (Japanese) PCC cars (and before our North American traction fans get up in arms, no these cars weren't actual PCC's, neither in terms of technology nor in terms of lineage, however they were referred to as such in Japan, as were all new/high performance cars introduced during this era), i.e. new/high performance (cars fitted with a cardan drive system, i.e. right angle drive/hollow shaft parallel cardan drive or WN-Drive, multi-stage indirect control and blended electro-pneumatic and rheostatic braking), still in active service in Japan. I personally also really enjoyed a visit to Sumiyoshi Taisha, being one of the few remaining shrines to be built according to the Sumiyoshi-zukuri, one the oldest surviving traditional styles of Japanese shrine architecture, and provides a great excuse to also visit both the Hankai Denkikidō and the Nankai Tetsudō, as the shrine is sandwiched between the Nankai main line (Sumiyoshi Taisha station) and the Nankai Kōya line (Sumiyoshi-Higashi station) while Hankai stops directly in front of the shrine.

As for oldest in a broader sense, I think the Kansai area is arguably one of the best areas in Japan when it comes to older trains, especially when it comes to the major private railways, with only some of the local private railways operating coming close in terms of older trains being part their active fleet, though only in percentage of their active fleet. in terms of sheer numbers there is no other area still featuring as large a selection of Shōwa era rolling stock than the Keihanshin area.

Mind you, this is mainly limited to the major private railways, with JR West retiring the last two Nara ward 103 series formations back in March 2022, the Kosei/Kusatsu line 113 series and 117 series formations on April 1st, 2023, as well as the single remaining "traditional" (as in went through life extension work but wasn't remodelled) 103 series formation on March 18, 2023, pretty much all National Railway era series, with the exception of a couple remaining 381 series formations, have disappeared over the last couple of years.

In contrast to this, pretty much all major private railway companies operating in the Keihanshin area still operate a significant number of cars built in the 1960's and 1970's, and even though their numbers are being reduced, will likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

To provide some examples:

Keihan Dentetsu

Keihan Main Line

2200 series

Built between 1964 and 1968 as the second series of 'egg shaped commuter cars' to be built for Keihan, and the oldest still in active service, at least while retaining their original car numbers (see the 2600 series section). As far as I know, seven 7-car formations are still in active service to this day, which are all used for local and express services on the Keihan main line.

2400 series

Built between 1969 and 1970, the 2400 series would be the 3rd iteration of the 'egg shaped commuter' cars to be introduced by Keihan. Though younger than their 2200 series sisters, at 50+ years of service they are still among the oldest trains still in regular service in Japan. As far as I know, 5 out of the original 6, 7-car formations are still in active service, and their services are similar to those of the 2200 series.

2600 series (0 sub-type)

Though the builder plates on 2600 series 0 subtype cars shows these cars were built between 1978 and 1982, their carbodies are actually much older, originally having been built for the 2000 series cars between 1959 and 1966 as the first of the so called 'egg shaped commuter cars' built for Keihan. Though their equipment has been replaced in anticipation of the overhead voltage boost from 600 V DC to 1,500 v DC in December 1983, and as such they were considered to be new-built cars which used an existing carbody, most of their structure is still the same as when they were built as the 2000 series which technically makes them the oldest cars still in active service at Keihan, and as such the oldest cars still in active service at any of the major private railway companies. As of 2023 I believe there are still at least 2 formations still in active service.

Ōtsu

600 type

Though these cars were officially built between 1984 and 1988, like the 2600 series they would re-use existing carbodies. In this case it would be former 260 type and 300 type cars, which were built between 1957 and 1968, the oldest 260 type carbodies being used dating back to August and December 1959. Unlike the 2600 series though there were numerous changes made to the carbody, including all new driver's cabs, which makes their heritage somewhat less apparent at first glance. All formations are still in service and together with the 700 type cars, to be covered in the next entry, they form the core of the Ishiyama-Sakamoto line. 

700 type

Similar to the 600 type cars, these cars were officially built between 1992 and 1993, though they would be re-using older carbodies. Whereas the 600 type would use former 260 and 300 type carbodies, the 700 type cars would be using former 500 type which had been 'built' in 1979 and 1981 by remodelling former 260 type cars built in 1968. As with the 600 type cars, all cars are still in service and are being used on the Ishiyama-Sakamoto line.

In addition to the cars in question, I would highly recommend a visit to the Keihan Ōtsu system, as well as the Ōtsu area and Biwako in general. The combined section within in Ōtsu proper in combination with the surviving section of the Keishin line is one of the last sections to give of that interurban feeling, though the Keishin Denkikidō most certainly wasn't an interurban railway according to the Japanese definition of the word (the actual Japanese interurbans were more or less limited to the Kansai area interurbans (Hanshin, Keihan, Minō Arima and Ōsaka Denkikidō) as built), in Japan.

Nankai Dentetsu

Kōya Line

6000 series

Built between 1962 and 1968, the 6000 series cars were among the first all-stainless steel cars to be introduced, and manufactured, in Japan, and are the only ones out of the original 3 series, the Tōkyū 7000 series cars, Nankai 6000 series cars and the Keiō 3000 series cars, to still be in active service with their original operator. That being said, the 6000 series cars have been actively replaced by new built 8300 series cars since 2019, and they were originally expected to be retired by the end of 2023, though whether this target will be achieved remains to be seen. Nonetheless, they are actively being scrapped, though the remaining formations are still in daily service on the Kōya line operating both local and express services between Nankai Namba and Hashimoto.

6300 series

Built between 1970 and 1973 as the 6100 series cars, their design is based on the 6000 series cars (as well as the 7100 series) though featuring double leaf passenger doors instead of the single leaf doors used on the 6000 series cars, as well as introducing single panel descending type windows instead of the single stage ascending windows used on the 6000 series cars. Though not as old as their older sisters, all cars have exceeded or are approaching at least 50 years of age, with no cars having been retired, and no replacement having been announced. All cars are still operating local and express services between Nankai Namba and Hashimoto on the Kōya line.

Nankai Main Line

7100 series

Built between 1969 and 1973, the 7100 series cars are the oldest cars to serve on the Nankai Main line, and the oldest non-stainless steel cars owned by the company. Similar to the earlier mentioned 6100 series, the design of which would actually be based on these (7100 series) cars, a not insignificant number of 4-car formations and 2-car additional formations are still in service on the Nankai Main Line, operating local, express and limited express Southern services.

Hankyū Dentetsu

Kōbe/Takarakuza lines

5000 series

Built between 1968 and 1969, the 5000 series cars are the oldest cars still in active service on the 'original' Hankyū system, and among the oldest cars still in active service with any of the major private railway companies. The surviving 5000 series cars went through renewal between 2001 and 2007, with the new through doors somewhat spoiling their appearance for me, and as of writing, seven, 6-car formations should still be in active service on the Hankyū Imazu (Kita) line.

5100 series

Built between 1971 and 1978, are the second oldest cars still in active service on the original Hankyū system. Unlike the 5000 series cars, most of the 5100 series cars didn't go through extensive renewal, with the surviving 5100 series cars retaining the classic Hankyū standard carbody design first introduced on the 2000 series cars back in 1960. Six formations should still be in active service on the Takarazuka line, while a number have been transferred to the Hankyū affiliated Nose Dentetsu.

Kyōto line/Arashiyama Line

3300 series

Built between 1967 and 1969, the 3300 series cars are the oldest cars in active service on the Hankyū Kyōto line, with the oldest cars actually being the oldest Hankyū cars, period. Only a handful renewed formations are still in active service as of writing, which I believe are primarily used for local services on the Kyōto line, as well as through services on the Hankyū Kyōto and Ōsaka Metro Sakisuji line.

5300 series

Built between 1972 and 1984, the 5300 series cars would be the Kyōto line equivalent to the 5100 series I mentioned earlier.

Only a few cars have been scrapped as of writing, with the oldest cars still in active service. They are used on both local and semi-express services on the Kyōto line as well as on through services on the Hankyū Kyōto and Ōsaka Metro Sakaisuji line.

6300 series,

Built between 1975 and 1978, with one additional formation built in 1984, the 6300 series is the oldest limited express type electric trains still in, sort of, service at Hankyū. though the majority of cars were scrapped between 2008 and 2011, and the remodelled 'Kyōto train' being scrapped in December 2022, three 4-car formations should still be in service on the Arashiyama line as of writing.

Hanshin Dentetsu

5001 type

Built between 1977 and 1981, the 5001 type cars are the oldest cars still in active service at Hanshin, and also the oldest representative of the iconic jet car high-performance commuter cars first introduced by Hanshin in 1958. though their age isn't as impressive as some of the other series I mentioned, with the oldest cars having reached the, most certainly, impressive age of 46 years in active service they are still among the oldest cars in active service with any of the major private railway companies. In addition to this, they are the final representatives of the classic jet car design, both from a carbody and from a technical perspective, with the 5001 type cars being the final Hanshin commuter cars to feature resistor control, the last to use an automatic acceleration type electric camshaft controller for the main controller and the last to use HSC-D type, blended electro-pneumatic direct air and rheostatic, braking. 6 Out of 8 formations are still in active service, though all cars are scheduled to be replaced by the end of this year.

Kintetsu

Nara Line

8000 series

Built between 1964 and 1969, the 8000 series will be the first, of many, of the so called Kintetsu standard body cars to be featured, and also the oldest still in active service. Though most cars have been scrapped, a total of seven, 2-car formations should still be in active service, with the remaining cars having been built in 1968 and 1969 respectively.

8400 series

Built between 1969 and 1972, the 8400 series are another series of Kintetsu standard body cars still in active service. Unlike the 8000 series cars, most cars should still be in active service, with only a handful cars having been scrapped.

8600 series

Built between 1973 and 1979, the 8600 series cars were the second to last Kintetsu standard body cars to be built for use on the Nara line. All cars should still be in active service, with no cars having been scrapped up till this point.

Ōsaka Line

2410 series

Built between 1968 and 1971, the 2410 series cars are the oldest of the, you guessed it, Kintetsu standard body cars still in active service on the Kintetsu Ōsaka line. Unlike their Nara line sisters, all cars are still in active service at this point in time.

2430 series

Built in 1971 and 1973, the 2430 series cars are the second oldest, sigh..., Kintetsu standard body cars still in active service on the Ōsaka line. In addition to the Ōsaka line cars, three, 3-car formations are being used on the Kintetsu Nagoya lines. 

2610 series

Built between 1973 and 1974 as well as a final batch in 1976, the 2610 series is another *insert carbody design here* which is still in service on both the Kintetsu Ōsaka and Kintetsu Nagoya line. The 1976 cars were all intended for use on the Nagoya line, and are still being used as such.

2800 series

Built between 1972 and 1979, the 2800 series cars were the final cars built to a certain Kintetsu design to be introduced on the Ōsaka and Nagoya lines. All cars are still in active service.

Nagoya Line

1810 series

Built between 1967 and 1968, with an additional batch being delivered in 1970, the 1810 series are the oldest * still in active service on the Kintetsu Nagoya line. Most cars have been scrapped up till this point, with only two, 2-car formations, both built in 1970, still in active service.

2400 series (2444F/2445F)

Former 2430 series cars remodelled for oneman operations, the cars used were originally built in 1971.

2430 series/2610 series/2800 series

See their respective entry in the Ōsaka line section.

Minami Ōsaka/Yoshino line

6020 series

Built between 1968 and 1972, the 6020 series cars are the oldest... Kintetsu standard body cars still in active on the former Ōsaka Tetsudō and Yoshino Tetsudō 1,067mm network. Though a couple cars have been scrapped, the majority of cars are still in active service on the Kintetsu Minami Ōsaka and Yoshino lines.

6200 series

Built in 1974, the 6200 series were the final Kintetsu standard body cars to be built for the Minami Ōsaka and Yoshino lines. As with the 6020 series, all cars are still in active service.

*though I absolutely adore the Kintetsu standard body cars, the fact that Kintetsu built dozens upon dozens of these nearly identical, though still distinct enough to be classified as a different series with differing details, equipment etc. between series can make researching them a bit of slog.

Small, and Local Private Railways

Most small and local private railways tend to operate older second hand equipment, with former Tōkyū, Seibu and Keiō (especially the former 3000 series cars) equipment arguably being the most prolific, though former Kintetsu and Nankai equipment can occasionally be found as well. Quite a significant number of the second hand cars being used are older new/high performance era cars, with especially 1st and 2nd generation all-stainless steel cars proving to be incredibly resilient, as they were designed to be, though early VVVF era cars, or older cars renewed as such, such as former Tōkyū 1000 series cars, Tōkyō Metro 03 series cars  and even a handful of former JR East 209 series 2000/2100 sub-type cars, are starting to become a more common sight at smaller private railways. That being said, though I think all of them have their own charm, listing all of them would be impossible, so I'll settle for what I think might be the most interesting according to your own criteria and your location. Most of these do have a more rural character, though as I'm primarily an electric railway enthusiast, there won't be any DMU's, though perhaps one of our more KiHa minded members may be better able to help you there.

Ōigawa tetsudō

Out of all the local/small private railways, I think Ōigawa is the only one which truly ticks all 3 boxes. Perhaps best know for their SL operations, their actual active roster is in my opinion much more interesting than their steam operations. At the moment Ōigawa operates an eclectic mix of former Nankai, Kintetsu and Tōkyū equipment, all of which are at least 50 years old at the time of writing. The 21000 series are former Nankai 21000 series cars built between 1958 and 1964, with the two formations operated by Ōigawa being composed of former Nankai 21001~21004, which were built in June and July 1958 respectively. The 16000 series meanwhile consists of former Kintetsu 16000 series cars built between 1965 and 1977, though the two cars owned by Ōigawa were built in March 1965. Finally the 7200 series consists of two former Tōkyū 7200 series cars, as can be noticed Ōigawa uses a rather creative classification system for their electric trains, built between 1967 and 1972, with the Ōigawa cars having been built in September and November 1968 respectively (with both actually being sourced from the Towada Kankō Dentetsu rather than directly through Tōkyū Techno Systems).

The Ōigawa Main line itself is a very scenic route following, as the name implies the Ōi river for pretty much the entirety of the route. The first short section of the route has a rather rural character, which quickly becomes more mountainous as the route follows the Ōigawa valley.

Yōrō Tetsudō

The first of 3 local private railway companies located close together in the north of Mie prefecture (very close to, and easily reachable from the centre of Nagoya), the Yōrō Tetsudō operates the former Kintetsu Yōrō line since 2007, and is in fact owned by Kintetsu Group Holdings, a Kintetsu subsidiary. their fleet consists of an interesting mix of former Kintetsu, obviously, early high performance cars which form the 600 and 610 series cars, as well as, ironically, former Tōkyū all-stainless steel cars which form the 7700 series cars.

The 600 and 610 series cars are a mixture of former Kintetsu 1600 series cars, built between 1959 and 1964, 1800 series cars, built in 1966, 6000 series cars, built between 1963 and 1966 and 6800 series cars built between 1957 and 1963, while the 7700 series cars are former Tōkyū 7700 series cars, which themselves are former 7000 series cars, built between 1962 and 1966 (the first all-stainless steel cars in Japan), remodelled and refitted with new equipment, including Tōyō Denki GTO-VVVF converter-inverter packages, between 1987 and 1991. 

Sangi Tetsudō

Sangi Main Line

Operating an interesting mix of former Seibu equipment including former 701 series cars (1963~1967), 411/401 series cars (1964~1968) and new 101 series cars (1979~1984), the main draw of this railway might be the operation of cement trains hauled by their fleet of 45~50 ton electric boxcab locomotives, the oldest of which, ED45 8, which is former Tōbu Tetsudō ED5000 type locomotive ED5001, having been built in 1950.

Hokusei Line

They also operate the Hokusei line, which is one of the few surviving special narrow gauge lines in active operation, with the line using a 762mm (2 ft 6 in) track gauge, and also one of only 3 surviving Keiben, or light railways, in Japan. In addition to this, they also operate older equipment as well, with the motor cars of the 270 series dating back to 1977 being the youngest. That being said, even though these cars are relatively young, the fact that they still use a nose-suspension drive because of the narrow width of the bogies, gives them a unique quality which is difficult to find anywhere else in Japan outside of a number of surviving streetcar networks, and that gearbox growl is absolutely glorious if you're into electric traction. Most of the trailer and control trailer cars are much older, with the former Mie Kōtsu Sa 2000 type cars (current SaHa 140 and KuHa 140 type cars) for example dating back to 1959, the former Mie Kōtsu Sa 360 type cars (current SaHa 130 and KuHa 130 type cars) dating back to 1954 while the former Mie Kōtsu Mo 4400 (current 200 series) dates back to 1959.

Yokkaichi Asunarō Tetsudō

Another survivor of the former Mie Kōtsu -> Kintetsu special narrow gauge network, now under municipal ownership. As with the Hokusei line, both the Utsube line and the Hachiōji line were built as Keiben, though with both lines having switched to 40N and 50N (40/50 kg/m) profile rails back during the Kintetsu era they are technically no longer light railways, but classify as proper heavy rail. They do operate a much younger fleet when compared to the Sangi Tetsudō Hokusei line, with the 260 type cars having been built between 1982 and 1983, and though they initially operated in conjunction with much older trailer and trailer control cars, those have been replaced by new built, New 260 series cars between 2015 and 2019. The motor cars do still use nose-suspended traction motors however, and as such they still give some of the same old-school charm as their Sangi Tetsudō sisters.

Utsube line:

Hachiōji Line:

Eizan Dentetsu

Though already mentioned in this thread, I wanted to cast in my own vote for the Eizan Dentetsu. Though they operate relatively modern equipment, especially compared to the other railways I mentioned, I do personally consider the Eizan Dentetsu to be one of my absolute favourite railway companies in Japan (and as such the world), though that list is exceedingly long, and especially the Kurama line as one of my favourite railway lines in Japan, but once gain that's another exceedingly long list. Especially the Kurama line with its mix of urban, rural and mountainous scenery gives this line a unique blend of an (urban) local private railway and a mountain railway, which more specialised mountain railways like the Hakone Tōzan lack in my opinion. In addition, Demachiyanagi is a fascinating station in an of itself, with the original station building obscured by the new faced, though still pretty much visible from the platform side. Similarly, Kurama station is another beautiful example of an early Shōwa era wooden station building in itself.

Aside from the railway itself, in my opinion a visit to both Kurama and Kibune is worth the trip alone, and the trip to Kurama-Dera-Ji and climb over the mountain to Kibune makes for a great trip in itself. That being said, as with most popular spots, I would recommend skipping a weekend visit if you don't like crowds.

Kurama line (technically the section up till Takuragaike station is part of the Eizan Main Line):

Eizan Main Line:

Enoshima Dentetsu

Arguably one of the better known local private railways, with the railway serving the highly popular Kamakura and Enoshima area, among the most popular areas for domestic tourism in Japan, I personally consider the Enoden to be a very worthy railway to visit. Though like the Eizan Dentetsu, Enoden operates a relatively modern fleet of cars, with the exception of the sole remaining 300 type cars of formation, formation 305F which was built in 1960. The Enoshima Dentetsu does feature a rather scenic route alongside the pacific coast, while the railway itself is also quite interesting from a historic, operational and infrastructure perspective, including the famous combined track section between Koshigoe and Enoshima.

Which is where I'll end things for now. I do think there are many other small to medium private railways that would be worthy, railways like the Nose Dentetsu, Ichibata Dentetsu, Chōshi Dentetsu (as mentioned), Ueda Dentetsu, Toyama Chihō Dentetsu, Kotoden, Nagano Dentetsu, Kōnan Dentetsu etc., as well as a number of third sector railways like for example the Shinano Tetsudō, or the surviving streetcar systems, which pretty much all of them still relying on large numbers of cars built in the 1960's or even earlier, however, considering how much time I already spend on writing the above, I think you'll have to forgive me for keeping it "short" this time.

8 hours ago, jvmal said:

I would like to check out a line that's been converted to BRT,

Not really a BURT fan myself, so I can't directly help you with this, however the Japanese Wikipedia article on BRT has a list of BRT lines in Japan, so that might be able to at least give you a bit of framework:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/バス・ラピッド・トランジット

Additionally, the Yokkaichi Asunarō Tetsudō was actually established to operate the Utsube and Hachiōji lines on behalf of Yokkaichi city, with the exact purpose of prevent these lines being closed in favour of a BRT system as was the idea put forward by Kintetsu, whom still owned the former Mie Kōtsu lines at that point in time, so I guess in an inverse way that would count right? The story of the Sangi Tetsudō Hokusei line is similar as well, though in that case Kintetsu simply sought to abandon the line instead.

This does bring me to another point, namely small/local private railways and showing support. As most of these companies have already been struggling to various degrees prior to the pandemic, the drop in ridership caused by the pandemic years have been incredibly difficult for all railway companies in Japan, even the JR companies and the Major private railways, but especially for those who were already struggling with declining passenger numbers, an ageing population along the route etc. As such if you, or any of our members, visit one of those railways and you enjoy the experience, please if able try to buy something at one of their stations or shops, as ancillary sales like these truly make the difference for these small railway companies. A couple of local snacks or a Tomytec set of one of their trains, if they happen to sell them, may just make the difference for the railway in question, even those that are ostensibly owned by larger companies, like for example Eizan.

Anyway, I hope this has been of help to you.

Cheers!

Sander

ps, did I ever mention that I really I love old (electric) trains?😂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Take note in your planning of which destinations are close together and easily reached from one another. This can make multiple visits in a single day possible.

For example, the Sangi Main Line, Sangi Hokusei Line and Yokkaichi Asunaro all meet with the Kintetsu main line just a few stops apart from one another. I did all the keiben together on one day, visiting the Hokusei Line in the morning and Yokkaichi in the afternoon.

The Minato Line connecting to JR East in Katsuta runs a nice variety of Kihas.  Lots of rural farming along the Naka River, and big fish market at Nakaminato on the ocean.  Plus Mini-chan, a very friendly station cat at Nakaminato. 
: 3

Miki type 300 runs as a single car, as it cannot couple with the assorted Kihas.

Kiha Type 20, #202, is the only type 20 in JNR colours, but only runs on special occasions.

Kiha Type 22, #222, is no longer in passenger service; but is enshrined as a deity of Hitachinaka Kaiun Tetsudo Shrine at Ajigaura Station. This is the world's first goshintai on a railway vehicle.  And has a lovely torii made of track rails!

Bus or bicycle connection over the Kaimon Bridge to the Oarai-Kashima Line which runs 6000 Series (or from Mito, JR East.  Suigun Line also connects at Mito for a lovely run up the mountains, albeit with more modern Kiha E-130 Series, but splashy livery.

• Like 1

@200系 thank you for the tremendous write up! I learned a ton about the overall transport networks in this region and it's mind blowing. By chance ended up riding the Hankyu line back to Kyoto after an evening in Osaka bc I'm staying right by Kawaramachi so it worked out as the best last train for me and got some older equipment. Rode the Eizan and out to Biwako yesterday, WTF are the grades on those lines!?!?! Seriously, what are they because they seem so steep, but maybe it's an illusion. 

Thank you to everyone else for the suggestions as well. I'm in Kyoto for one more day to try and figure out where I'm going next.

• Like 3

Some great options there. Planning to do the Kisuki and Geibi lines on my next trip in November. The BRT between Yanaizu, Kesennuma and Sakari is interesting, we even got to run in self driving mode for a while. And you can continue on to the Sanriku Railway which is pretty spectacular. As is the connecting Hachinohe line from Kuji. And if you connect back from Kamaishi then while Rikuchū-Ōhashi is not a switch back it’s pretty spectacular to see the line in the valley parallel to you while running on the side of the hill. 

in Hokkaido I think the section Furano - Higashi Shikagoe is slated to close early next year. In Kyushu the Minami Aso Railway has just reopened and its junction station Tateno is also the bottom of a double switchback. In Shikoku even on mainlines you have stations like Tsubojiri and Shingai where the platform is on a dead end siding. 

My bête noire is the Tadami line, only recently reopened which I missed in March because it was closed again due to avalanche risk. Hopefully I can get there in November. 

Another favourite is JR West’s electrified services around Ube And Suzumeda, some running as single cars. 

• Like 1

Managed to accomplish quite a bit throughput Kyoto and Osaka, and did a loop from Sendai to kesennuma and back via Yanaizu and the Ofunato lines. Unfortunately no automatic operation on the BRT, but didn't get to do Tadami Unfortunately. Currently on my way to catch the Sunrise Izumo to Matsue and will hopefully be riding the Kisuki and Geibi lines on Saturday, but there have been some issues on Geibi that the JR website says should be resolved by end of Friday. Fingers crossed, but if not at least I'll be able to take a nice coastal ride to Fukuoka instead. 

Any suggestions for where on the JR Kyushu network to get an older generation KiHa? 

On 7/27/2023 at 1:45 PM, jvmal said:

Any suggestions for where on the JR Kyushu network to get an older generation KiHa? 

I'm not sure how correct and up to date are these informations, but according to the Japanese wikipedia, JR Kyushu still operates a sizeable fleet of KiHa40s (and derivatives - KiHa 140 and KiHa 147, repowered KiHa 40s and KiHa 47s respectively) on the following lines:

- Nichinan Line, between Tayoshi and Shibushi stations: KiHa 40, KiHa 140, KiHa 147 - not all services (sizeable chunk assigned to newer DMUs)

- Hitahikosan Line, whole line (except out-of-service section due to flood damage): KiHa 40, KiHa 47, KiHa 140, KiHa 147 - all services

- Gotoji Line, whole line: KiHa 40, KiHa 47, KiHa 140, KiHa 147 - all services

- Chikuho Main Line, Haruda Line section between Keisen and Haruda (trough-services from the Hitahikosan and Gotoji Lines): KiHa 40, KiHa 140 - only a handful of services

- Nippo Main Line, between Kokura and Jono stations (trough-services from the Hitahikosan Line) and between Miyazaki and Saitonjo and Kokubu and Kagoshima (trough-services from the Hisatsu Line) - KiHa 40, KiHa 47, KiHa 140, KiHa 147 - only a handful of services.

- Kyudai Main Line, whole line - gaudy gold-painted and Mitooka-redesigned KiHa 47 as the "Aru Ressha" tourist train.

- Nagasaki Main Line, Nagasaki to Takeo Onsen - Mitooka-redesigned Kiha 40 and KiHa 47 as the "Two Stars 40 47" tourist train.

- Karatsu Line, whole line - KiHa 47 (most services, rest assigned to KiHa 125s)

- Chikuhi Line, between Yamamoto and Imari stations - KiHa 47 (rarely - only coupled to KiHa 125s as "additional capacity")

- Sasebo Line, between Kohoku and Haiki stations - KiHa 47, KiHa 40, KiHa 140 (most services, rest assigned to YC1s)

- Kagoshima Main Line, between Arao and Yatsuhiro stations - KiHa 47, KiHa 40, KiHa 140 (only Isaburo/Shinpei and Kawasemi Yamasemi rapid services, not all services - some assigned to KiHa 200s)

Hohi Main Line, whole line - KiHa 40, KiHa 47, KiHa 140, KiHa 147 (Kawasemi Yamasemi rapid services, most services - some might be assigned to other DMUs)

Misumi Line, whole line - KiHa 47, KiHa 147 (most services since 2021 - sometimes might be replaced by other DMUs)

Hisatsu Line, whole line - KiHa 40, KiHa 47, KiHa 140, KiHa 147 (Isaburo/Shinpei and Kawasemi Yamasemi rapid services, local services - most services, KiHa 47 runs local services between Hayato and Yoshimatsu stations only.)

Ibusuki Makurazaki Line -  KiHa 40, KiHa 47, KiHa 140, KiHa 147 (all services, KiHa 200s run additional services between Kagoshima Chuo and Yamakawa Stations)

Kitto Line - whole line - Kiha 40 (most services, occasionally other KiHa 40 derivatives are used, as well as infrequently KiHa 200s).

My suggestion would be to try for the Gotoji Line if you have enough time - it's relatively close to Fukuoka (it's actually the closest of all the lines listed above) and it has a quite famous scenic spot where it travels trough a (active) limestone quarry. The starting point of the line, Shin-Iizuka Station is 56 minutes away from Hakata station using the Fukuhoku Yutaka Line (trains run roughly evry hour from Hakata to Nogata and vice-versa). Gotoji Line trains run roughly evry 30 minutes, and the line from end-to-end (Shin-Iizuka to Tagawagotoji) takes 20 minutes.

• Thanks 1