Kato HO Catenary

I noticed the HO Scale Kato Catenary poles have allowances for the connection of some form of wiring. Is there any commercially available to suit, or has anyone used other wires to set up an overhead system....It would not be operational but I'd like to know what others have done in this area.

I had considered trying some of the Veismann wires some years ago although the Kato Catenary masts are actually too tall for 1/80 Japanese stock pantographs. 

• Like 1

I have experimented with DIY HO and N scale OHL. 

I have found wire from my local model shop to be a great material as it has some rigidity and flexibility for both the carrier wire and contact wire, as well as the droppers. I am at work at the moment, but I will try and remember to look what brand and type it is when I get home and post the info.

However, in order to solder it, normal soldier is no good. You need Silver Soldier with the special flux.

I haven't used the Kato Overhead Catenary poles. I have used both the PECO ones and also made my own using the same wire but slightly thicker to make the arms. I think for proper metal wires the plastic may be too weak to hold it unless you just glue it lightly.

For HO, this is the starter pack I bought:

https://peco-uk.com/products/catenary-system-startup-pack

EDIT: This is the model shop page where I get my wire from. It is called music wire and comes in heaps of different sizes. It makes for really nice looking OHL.

https://www.acercmodels.com/equipment/materials-tools-glue-etc/wire-tube-sheets/music-wires/

Edited by E231-500
  • Like 1

For hand done catenary (and live) many folks use bronze phosphor wire. It has a duller color so looks more like catenary than silvery nickel silver and such and it solders very nicely. You want the drawn straight pieces, they tend to be a harder alloy and stay straight. It can be a challenge to find longer straight pieces. One of the great sources was trainaidsusa as he got it in 6’ lengths from somewhere and we cut it down to I think it was 18” or 24” pieces which was about right for his HO customers. Sadly Ardesh has passed away, he was such a wonderful source for all those odd bits like this folks needed.

jeff

• Like 1

I've used Kato masts with Viessmann registers and catenary sections for a "near-enough" representation of JNR overhead in 1/80. I'm not at home now, but when I return I can post some photos to show what I've done. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2