TomyTec Portram - pantograph in need of reassembly.

Andrew G

Hello Folks, My Tomytec Portram (motorised) has been in storage for quite a while. I took it out of the box with plans to give it a short run. Sadly I got distracted as I was taking it out of the plastic tray and partly grabbed the pantograph :-(. The result was a small amount of 'disassembly' that was followed by some more disassembly as I tried to fix it. Would anyone be able to provide some close up photos of a non-disassembled pantograph? Also, are there any 'after market' suitable replacements for this pantograph?

Cheers Andrew George, St Arnaud, Orstralia.

20230715_212527.jpg

20230715_212533.jpg

Edited by Andrew G

A bit hard to say from the pictures, but I don't think the panto is broken. Just disassembled. Do you have a Tomix panto to verify how it's assemble? It can be a bit tedious, but these things all come together the same way.

• Like 1

Sadly only one Tomytec in my possession, which is why I am asking for close up photos of the pantograph assembly.

Sadly Tomytec never made a nicer replacement pantograph AFAIK. I also never remember seeing a single arm pantograph with the V at the upper end like that, all I’ve ever seen as parts are single arm on the top not the V

I don’t know if Kato has it as a spare part for their portrams. maybe some garage shop may makes a portram pantograph some somewhere in japan but I expect they would be pricy and hard to source if the do exist.

I agree with disturbman give a whirl at popping it back together they are pretty much just snap fit parts, I don’t think any were fused or glued.

I’ll dig mine out tonight and snap some pictures for you and look a my Kato portram to see if they list spare part for the pantograph,

best of luck.

jeff

• Like 1

Thank-you folks, much appreciated. I do expect it to be a pop-together job, but getting my brain focused on the arrangement and orientation of each component is important as at least one, if not two parts appear to be reversible in the lengthwise rotation axis.

There are good quality pictures available online if you search for “Tomytec Portram”. They should be enough to guide the reassembly. Get some tweezers, just in case, normally the reassembly can be done by hand, but tools can help bring the second arm in place.

• Like 1