N Japanese Police Cars where can I buy some?

bc6

Im not really sure where to post this but since it will go with a structure I figured this would be a good place.

Ive done a search on JNS for "Japanese Police Cars" and didnt find anything maybe Im doing search wrong but I cant be the first to look for N scale Japanese Police cars. 

I would like a few for the Police station that I am waiting to arrive and wanted to know where can I buy one or something thats a good facsimile to a Japanese Police car.

Currently the only ones around are the police vans in this Tomytec set

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10721303

tomytec has made a number of them over the years in the vehicle collections. These would need to be found on yahoo.jp auctions with a bidding service. 

unfortunately the variety in vehicles is vastly declined over the last 6 or 7 years. They hay day about a decade back there were tons of vehicles in their sets.

jeff

Yahoo Auction Japan is your friend in finding out of stock items!  With the current fee structures, I find Buyee better than ZenMarket (subject to promotions and coupons always changing the calculus).

From the 1999 page, I flipped it into Japanese to cut and paste 警察車両 (Police Vehicle) into the Buyee search bar once I was on the 'N Gauge' page.  That returned what looked like a low number of hits.  Then popped 警察車両 into Google Translate and removed kanji down to just 警察 (Police).  Searching Buyee, that returned more vehicle options, plus figures and buildings.

The yen is crazy low against the dollar right now, and it's a great time to go shopping.  Once I start buying anything on YAJ, I then go on a bidding spree to make the shipping costs more worthwhile.  I save a lot of money that way.
: 3

https://buyee.jp/item/search/query/警察/category/2084259591?sort=bidorbuy&order=a&translationType=1&page=1

Edited by Cat
  • Like 1

I looked on Yahoo Japan and searched in English but didnt find anything. 

You've got some hardcore search skills Cat and I appreciate that thank you. 

I like the Yen being low which is why Ive been buying so many sets as of late lol. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind that with the Yen being low, Buyee does not charge yen, and their exchange rate is far from what is currently so favorable.

1 hour ago, Wolf said:

Keep in mind that with the Yen being low, Buyee does not charge yen, and their exchange rate is far from what is currently so favorable.

It's pretty darn close.  I just confirmed an order this morning that I had placed last night with Sumitaya.co.jp using Buyee's 'purchase request' form.  The purchase price + 800¥ in Buyee fees came to 37,430¥.  Buyee charged me $275.54.  The XE Currency Exchange website shows that right now at $263.36 (and every purchase I've ever made anywhere always comes in a little higher than the market rate shown on XE).  Free domestic shipping from Sumitaya, international shipping to be determined.  And charging in dollars means my credit card company won't hit me with a foreign exchange fee.

ZenMarket charges 3% on all monies transferred into their account, including monies for all fees and shipping.  

Sumitaya has a direct link for international purchases that go through WorldShopping, who charge 10% of purchase price +500¥ +shipping (Eeks!).

I don't know how Buyee operates on such slim margins, but I certainly don't begrudge them whatever they make on the exchange rate, it's so much lower than the others.

— In quest of some Japanese steampunk garb, I finally sorted out that Meiji period workers' garb would do quite nicely for airship pirate crew.  Then discovered that current day Taiko drummers' garb is based on Meiji workers' garb (thanks to a 1950s movie that set the fashion standard).  Found a couple of festival clothing shops, and settled on Sumitaya for very nice prices and selection, and very very helpful sizing guides!

Also found evidence to support a theory that there may well have been a squadron of Japanese airship pirates.  Starting in 1910, four Yamada-shiki airships were built and had successful test flights.  No one knows what happened to each of them after their first flight...
: 3

Edited by Cat
disturbman
1 hour ago, bc6 said:

I looked on Yahoo Japan and searched in English but didnt find anything. 

You've got some hardcore search skills Cat and I appreciate that thank you.

It’s just logic. You are looking on a Japanese plateform. You need to search in Japanese. Google translate and Wikipedia will be your best friends for this endeavour.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Cat said:

Buyee charged me $275.54.  The XE Currency Exchange website shows that right now at $263.36

I find $12 out of $275.54, wich is something short before 5%, quite a lot tbh. If you purchase stuff in a year for around $1000, it means they had hidden charges of nearly $50 then.

I rather would have them take more fees.

But yes, it may work oc for ppl where a potentially fee of the CC company comes in higher in the end.

I also just did want to mention it. I have no prime solution out of my sleeve as well.

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, Wolf said:

I find $12 out of $275.54, wich is something short before 5%, quite a lot tbh. If you purchase stuff in a year for around $1000, it means they had hidden charges of nearly $50 then.

About 4.4%, which beats ZenMarket's 3% + CC fees.  Plus it's charged at purchase, don't have to put the money in first.  But they run pretty close.  I have Buyee mentally marked as cheaper, but in reality it's not by a whole lot in the end.

ZenMarket is currently running a small discount on international shipping, so probably would have run quite equal.  Shopping calculus is always so much fun to run through.
: P

Edited by Cat

If you're looking for more accurate vehicles, you may need to paint and/or create 3D printed cars and parts. Tomytec produced a Nissan Micra/March police car which are a common sized vehicle at Kobans.

I believe there are the odd R35 skyline in Tokyo for Expressway patrols. As the public tend to be vocal about unnecessary civil spending, these are few and fair between.  I live near the main Police station in my city which has a large parking area.  

• Toyota Crowns in panda colours along with the odd white or silver unmarked ones.
  • Suzuki Swifts
  • Panda colour Toyota Hi-ace or Nissan Caravan
  • Traffic stop Bikes,  Customised Honda VFR 800 
  • Little kei class vans such as the Daihatsu Hijet, very comical with 3 "mature" police officers driving around in.
  • Even some (bobbies/beat cops) riding around on 50cc Honda Cub motorcycles.

They also have larger buses, most likely Hino, painted dark blue with riot meshes on the windows. Also some plain white or silver Hi-ace/Caravan with red lights on top for prisoner transport. Where I live the police station, detention centre and Law court are in close proximity.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 2

One thing I noticed is that there are some unmarked police cars in real life that will be easy to replicate all that needed is to make a red dome to attach to the roof. I've seen some of the buses that you mentioned that may be a good addition to my planned Koban/Police station. Thank for the prototypical information hopefully it will make my recreation of Japanese police cars easier. 

Edited by bc6
  • Like 1

Tomytec set J2 had a police Crown and I think a crown luxury taxi which could be converted.  J1 had a police car and a plain black Crown or Nissan equivalent.  These sets I think had older versions from the 50s/60s too which used to be a slight irritation if you model a particular era.  

While pretty old information, this page might help see what is, or at least was, available.

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/diocolle/lineup/car/basic29.html