Kato Shinkansen 100 Pantograph Arrangement

SwallowAngel

SwallowAngel

Recently I've noticed, that the Kato Shinkansen 100 (10-354) was "missing" a pantograph on the lead car (see the pic). And I was wondering if that was prototypical...

It just seems somewhat odd and awkward to have that empty space. I also found pictures of a Shinkansen 100, where this space was occupied by a pantograph, which makes me want to install one myself

image.thumb.png.ce63a42d6fc1a8cc00cf9a06cadb7a82.png

it's right, number of panto on 100V series has been reduced from 6 to 4, but V8 and V9 have 4 panto from "scratch" (Kato is V9 formation)

ciao!

Massimo

• Like 1

It is most certainly prototypical.

I went into a bit more detail on this subject in another post:

To summarize, and I'm quoting myself here:

"in summary, the Kato model is based on V formation V9. As formation V9 was part of batch 6, which were built between July and December of 1991 they were built after the conversion from the BT feeder to the AT feeder system on the Tōkaidō Shinkansen was completed. As such they were the first (V) formations to not have any pantographs installed on cars 2 and 16, by virtue of being the first to be delivered with a high voltage pull through bus line. The rest of the formations were modified to the same standard during general inspections in the same time period. Even though there were no pantographs present, they were still built with pantograph covers. As the V formations were built with shortening in mind, the covers remained in place to allow for the (re-)installation of a pantograph when this happens. When the P and K formations were formed, this did actually happen as pantographs were installed on the 122 type cars as part of the remodelling program.

Also, if you want to run your Kato V formation in a prototypical fashion, always keep the pantograph of car 6 folded, while the pantographs of cars 4, 12 and 14 should be raised."

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers!

• Like 2
SwallowAngel
52 minutes ago, 200系 said:

Hope this answers your question

It certainly did help, thanks for that in-depth response! I can finally lay my ADHD-like worries to rest ...(for now)