Can someone tell me the ordering procedure for Hobby Search?

As I posted in the "what have you purchased" thread I ordered a Kato Basic E353 4 car set.

I haven't been charged from the product yet and I'm curious why not.

I've sent an inquiry asking why I haven't been charged and Im using PayPal for payment.

Is there a delay in ordering from HS and the item is in stock.

If anyone can shed some light on this please let me know.

I understand this is the weekend so I will get no response to my email or any updates on my account.

I think they have an express option wherein you can give set up a Paypal login so they can process automatically.  They never seemed like wise internetting to me, so I have my account set to notify me and then I'll confirm and pay.  There's always lag time, and can seem surprisingly long.

Also make sure to check all your spam filters as sometimes their PayPal requests can get stuck in them. This happened to me last week, I thought they were just taking a couple of days to send the PayPal request, but they sent a second after 3 days and I saw their PayPal request had actually been sent a few hours after I had ordered but promptly got gobbled up by one of my spam layers.

you can also just use your cc directly. I use to do this all the time and for some reason moved to PayPal a number of years back. It may have been some cc issues with their system at some point, I can’t remember.

as usual can’t expect amazon systems/speed from hobby shops, bit of patience is needed.

jeff

I'm pretty sure I had technical difficulties and couldn't set up a credit card.  Their verification system didn't play well with my CC company.

Cat

I looked at my account and noticed that I have express payment instead of pre approved payment set up. I guess I will need to wait for HS to send me a request for payment.

• Like 1

@bc6 they will send you a PayPal request then, sometimes an hour sometimes a couple of days, I think due to staffing at the moment and number of orders coming in at any one time probably. They may also only have their English speaking staff only do the overseas order processing, so more limited of staff to do it. This PayPal payment request email is the one that has been sucked into spam filters a few times randomly for me.

@Cat I think there was a period a number of years ago when their cc verification system was on the fritz with overseas orders and I stopped using my cc directly and went through PayPal. I use to use the express option, but I went back to the manual PayPal as PayPal started converting the currency to usd automatically and their exchange rate sucks compared to the cc. It also could have been hs cc system started charging in usd instead of jpy why I stopped using the cc direct payment as I have a vague memory of one of the shops doing this at one point. Seems like everyone tried to do the conversion at a low rate to get another slice of the pie!

patience.

jeff

15 hours ago, cteno4 said:

.. It may have been some cc issues with their system at some point, I can’t remember.

instead I remember good, years ago his C.C. database has been hacked and they sended a mail to everybody with advice to change the PW and verify with C.C. companies about strange unwanted payments if happened

for that reason I prefer to pay manually each time (Paypal, C.C. etc..)
just R10 (Naoto) used my registered C.C. number "automatically" for 10 years and more,
but his "database" was on paper support

it was a long time ago when the C.C autorization was simple without SMS or PIN request, today is much more sure... but I still prefer manually payment 😋

anyway if you lose the paypal request they send you another advice mail after 2-3 days and also you can see the unpaid packages on hold in your account with the button active for paypal page redirection (only when the package is ready for shipping)

Ahh thanks @jappomania! That was it. 

yes the do send a second one. Format must be different as last week the first PayPal notice went into spam (it was a couple of hours after I placed the order btw) I got the second reminder about 2 days later and it was not caught as spam. I think the spam issue with hs payment requests has happened 3 or 4 times in the last few years. Maybe I should just go back to straight cc charges again and see if they charge in jpy now to cc.

jeff

I just got the request for payment a few minutes ago so Im officially a Kato 10-1834 Series E353 `Azusa, Kaiji` Standard Set (Basic 4-Car Set) (Model Train) N Scale,1/150 Electric Car owner lol.

• Like 3