Kato HO tailights

I'm guessing that the tailights built in to the Kato 1/80 coaches and guards vans are only suitable for 12v DC. Has anyone modified them to allow use with DCC ac power?

Could they be used on DCC Powered track by simply setting the underbody switch to the off position?

Edited by wazzd
spelling

The Kato HO 24 series coaches with tail lights usually have the more "modern" Kato n gauge type slide switches, the same as those found on their N gauge cab cars or blue trains, that take FL12 decoders for tail light functionality.

As for the other coaches, some like the 20 series NaHaNeFu 23 coaches have a rotating switch which connects/disconnects one of the contacts to turn off and on.  Coaches like the 12 series, IIRC, have no off on switch, but the light board can be removed.

The guards vans such as the Yo 5000 have no on/off switch for the tail lighting so would need lightboards removing or hardwiring a decoder.

As the off position with these switches essentially breaks the circuit, I would assume this would be safe to run. 

A lot of the HO Kato stuff states running on 16V or less.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply, I also have both the Yo 5000 and Yo 8000, I shall do some more research, there is no mention of DCC on the accompanying instruction leaflets.

There used to be further explanation of hardwiring Digitrax decoders on the Kato Hobby Centre website although I can no longer find this since they updated their website. This focussed on stock like the Kiha 82 driving ends as these weren’t DCC friendly nor contained a motor. If I can find it or similar, i’ll post here. 

Here’s a blog on  a product for converting the Yo5000 if you can open in a browser like Chrome and Translate.

https://locomotive956.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-57.html

Edited by Kamome
marknewton

I have Kato passenger cars and brake vans, which I've run on my club's DCC layout. The marker lights and headmark lights operate without any apparent problems, same goes for other models by Tomix, Tenshodo etc. The one thing I've noticed is that on models with lights that are directional on DC, both ends light up on DCC. Watch till the end of attached video, you'll see a Kato Yo8000 van with both front and rear marker lights working on DCC:

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2

Thanks Mark, that's good to know...I did notice that the lights are directional dependant on polarity (for DC) nice to know thw ac won't blow em!