Living in Tokyo for one year: Ideas for a Sunday (or in general)

As per the title, I will be living in Tokyo for one year.

The catch is that I will be studying (work related) so I may be quite occupied from Monday to Saturday.

Having only Sundays free, I think I may be restricted around the Tokyo area.

I was checking the planning trips (holidays) from other forum members and from people outside the forum.

So, I am aware that I will be missing out plenty of things... and one year will pass quick fast...

Any suggestions or ideas will be welcome about what can be done in a Sunday in Tokyo, nearby or maybe a bit far away from there.

Actually, any suggestions in general will be more than welcome as this will be me my 1st time in Japan.

Some notes:

• Even though I have enjoyed Japanese culture (e.g. trains, anime, music, etc.) since long ago, I have not been there before (1st time in Japan).
  • I do not speak the language (my studies will be in English) so that is another concern when moving around Tokyo.
  • When I have the chance to visit my home country (2 or 3 times during that year), my basic "plan" is to pack up my luggage with train items (and maybe some Japanese LP records).
  • In my list are: visit Akihabara (several Sundays), Tomix (and Kato) shop, renting layouts and that is pretty much at the moment.
  • I know that there are plenty of websites and youtube channels with info. However, I already noticed that many of them (if not almost all) have "commercial" intentions when they provide "advice". So, better to ask people who visited Japan just because they like it.

Thanks.

For language issues, take a bit of time to get to know Google Translate on your phone. In particular the camera mode that lets you simply point it at something to read it in English. Also get used to Google Maps for travelling on public transport. It will tell you which train or bus to get. Busses are a bit trickier because many of them don't have a number, they have the place where the route terminates instead. Trains are much easier and all stations are numbered.

If you get stuck at a station, just stand by route map and stare cluelessly at it for a while, and some friendly salaryman will take the opportunity to practice his English by helping you.

As for places to go, if you like LPs then Hard Off is the shop to visit. There are quite a lot of them in the greater Tokyo area. I made a map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1xFbbOuLjZZD4Yp_7ttchQhLorvom2yEq&usp=sharing

You can take the train to a lot of interesting places. Off the top of my head...

Mt. Takao near Hachioji, you can get the ski lift or cable car to the top and walk around the shrines.

https://goo.gl/maps/isf23d5nunvzu9nZ8?coh=178571&entry=tt

Showa Memorial Park, the flowers are amazing when they bloom.

https://goo.gl/maps/U33cmT8KYUjAcTX39?coh=178571&entry=tt

Omiya Railway Museum.

https://goo.gl/maps/UEEgJghB5FZ8ZwTg7?coh=178571&entry=tt

Nakano Broadway shopping centre.

https://goo.gl/maps/nkaZzvbXfgDaJLP28?coh=178571&entry=tt

Motomachi shopping street. From here you can also visit China Town, and then walk alone the sea front to Minato Mirai.

https://goo.gl/maps/R9WPxE12b8vbCeVm7?coh=178571&entry=tt

Enoshima island. Great to visit around xmas/new year when they have the lights on in the evening.

https://goo.gl/maps/MBbVEJ5bwRCPeShW9?coh=178571&entry=tt

Inokashira park, and Kichijoji town centre.

https://goo.gl/maps/GLP1PqaCgTNjTzFr6?coh=178571&entry=tt

There's also Mt. Tsukuba if you want to hike a bit, and the JAXA museum. You can get the shinkansen (bullet train) to Nagoya for a day trip quite easily too, and see the maglev meuseum.

Odaiba is worth a visit, via Tokyo Teleport.

What sort of stuff do you enjoy doing?

• Like 3
Tony Galiani

Nikko is worth a trip - only an hour or two away from Tokyo on the Tobu Railway.  They have a pass that covers the trains, local buses, ropeway, waterfall visit and lake cruise so that is a nice deal.

NHK has some basic Japanese lessons which are helpful as well.

Ciao,

Tony

• Like 2
20 hours ago, mojo said:

For language issues, take a bit of time to get to know Google Translate on your phone. In particular the camera mode that lets you simply point it at something to read it in English. Also get used to Google Maps for travelling on public transport. It will tell you which train or bus to get. Busses are a bit trickier because many of them don't have a number, they have the place where the route terminates instead. Trains are much easier and all stations are numbered.

If you get stuck at a station, just stand by route map and stare cluelessly at it for a while, and some friendly salaryman will take the opportunity to practice his English by helping you.

As for places to go, if you like LPs then Hard Off is the shop to visit. There are quite a lot of them in the greater Tokyo area. I made a map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1xFbbOuLjZZD4Yp_7ttchQhLorvom2yEq&usp=sharing

You can take the train to a lot of interesting places. Off the top of my head...

Mt. Takao near Hachioji, you can get the ski lift or cable car to the top and walk around the shrines.

https://goo.gl/maps/isf23d5nunvzu9nZ8?coh=178571&entry=tt

Showa Memorial Park, the flowers are amazing when they bloom.

https://goo.gl/maps/U33cmT8KYUjAcTX39?coh=178571&entry=tt

Omiya Railway Museum.

https://goo.gl/maps/UEEgJghB5FZ8ZwTg7?coh=178571&entry=tt

Nakano Broadway shopping centre.

https://goo.gl/maps/nkaZzvbXfgDaJLP28?coh=178571&entry=tt

Motomachi shopping street. From here you can also visit China Town, and then walk alone the sea front to Minato Mirai.

https://goo.gl/maps/R9WPxE12b8vbCeVm7?coh=178571&entry=tt

Enoshima island. Great to visit around xmas/new year when they have the lights on in the evening.

https://goo.gl/maps/MBbVEJ5bwRCPeShW9?coh=178571&entry=tt

Inokashira park, and Kichijoji town centre.

https://goo.gl/maps/GLP1PqaCgTNjTzFr6?coh=178571&entry=tt

There's also Mt. Tsukuba if you want to hike a bit, and the JAXA museum. You can get the shinkansen (bullet train) to Nagoya for a day trip quite easily too, and see the maglev meuseum.

Odaiba is worth a visit, via Tokyo Teleport.

What sort of stuff do you enjoy doing?

Thank you for the information!

I have been checking the places in googlemaps. There is so much to do and see that I started to feel overexcited about it... hahaha

About preferences, train related things, videogames (arcades and play station stuff), music (LP records and audio accessories), hiking/running, eating (trying new food), 

So, I would like to check as much as I can about trains: train museums, train riding, heritage lines and purchasing model trains and parts.

On that, I will be making a buying list of trains and parts because I would not want to go nuts and buy just anything that I see.

Hiking and/or running is pretty good. As I will be by myself, I think running sounds a bit more appealing (I am already reviewing some websites about this). 

I would also like to check shopping centres (like your suggestions), places, normal streets, alleys, play in the arcades (fighting games) and check in general how the city is and how people live there.

Getting translations apps and getting use to them... and the remembering your advice about "when getting stuck in a station".

I am also checking a bit about Japanese culture (e.g. manners) and Japanese law to prevent (or minimise) any misunderstandings.

Thanks again, my to-do list keeps growing.

• Like 1
disturbman
3 minutes ago, NXCALE said:

On that, I will be making a buying list of trains and parts because I would not want to go nuts and buy just anything that I see.

Why not? ^^

Anyway, any planning you make might just go out of the window. There is so much more available than that you might know off.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Tony Galiani said:

Nikko is worth a trip - only an hour or two away from Tokyo on the Tobu Railway.  They have a pass that covers the trains, local buses, ropeway, waterfall visit and lake cruise so that is a nice deal.

NHK has some basic Japanese lessons which are helpful as well.

Ciao,

Tony

Nikko noted. I think I may visit there once I become familiar with the transport system. 

I was checking some random youtube videos of Japanese lessons. After some hours, I did not remember much... hahaha

Now I am checking, as I write, the NHK website hoping for better luck on this. 

Thanks for the info!

6 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Why not? ^^

Anyway, any planning you make might just go out of the window. There is so much more available than that you might know off.

hahaha... I know.

I can picture myself leaving behind my clothes, shoes and other items so I can bring more train stuff in my luggage.

So going overboard, it is a serious risk!

As you'll be in Japan for one year, you'll have the chance to do something tourist can't do : Experimenting the 4 seasons in Japan

So that, it's not only the Sunday somewhere, but also the Sunday somewhere when....

Having lunch under blooming Sakura with friends, walking into a forest in late november with the incredible colors of leaves, tasting seasonal meals .... you'll have many things to do and - believe me - seasons are sometimes very short (esp. cherry blossoms). Anyway, you can prepare your sunday trip in advance to be able to be 'at the right spot, at the right moment'.

Taking the example of Nikko, going in autumn is far greater than summer. But you can also do it once in autmun, and once in winter, same place, two different views. 

• Like 3

I envy you, a whole year in Tokyo... but I'd come home poor I guess.

A few other places to add to the list, which I all visited as a day trip from Tokyo:

• Odaiba (it's on the Yurikamome line): you have the 1:1 scale Unicorn Gundam statue and you can check out the Gundam Base store in the mall right next to the statue.
  • Yokohama: if you go before March 31 2024, you can check out another 1:1 Gundam statue at Yokohama Gundam Factory. This one moves as well.
  • Kamakura: one of the top places to visit if you like temples and shrines, there are a lot and beautiful. It's a one hour train ride from Tokyo.
  • Yoro Valley in Chiba: a lovely valley with a lovely train (Kominato Railways) that will take you there from Goi station. I did it as a one day trip from Tokyo, but you need to wake up early.
  • Mito: easily reachable with the JR Hitachi Limited Express from Tokyo station. It has one of the top three gardens in Japan, Kairakuen.
  • Mount Mitake: similar to Mount Takao that was already mentioned. This one is also on the Chuo line, so easily accessible from Tokyo station.
  • Izu peninsula:you can take the JR Odoriko to Shimoda from Tokyo station. Or if you want to splurge, take the Saphir Odoriko

Then if you want you can take the shinkansen and go also pretty far, even in one day. Like Nagano, Kanazawa, Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto. It will cost a bit though. But you can easily have a one day trip in all those places.

Not sure on what kind of visa you'll be, but I believe you'll be able to get the JR East passes since you have a foreign passport. They're for 3 or 5 days, so they're a bit too much for just a Sunday trip, but if you have a few days off, they're definitely worth the investment, as they allow you to take any JR East trains in a certain area.

• Like 3
MeTheSwede

I recommend you get a good transit planner app, like Norikae Annai transit planner, which I think is the most widely used one in Japan. Not knowing English is not a problem for travelling with Tokyo trains and doing touristy stuff. (Atleast mostly not.)

If you're tired of Youtube travel channels trying to "sell" stuff, maybe you'd like to watch Tokyo Kenchan instead. It's a small Youtube channel made by a Tokyo resident that inspired me to visit some places that are maybe a bit lesser known among foreign travellers.

You mentioned Japanese music, what kind of music do you like?  I'd say, go see artists live.

Last but not least, I think you should try to find some model railway guy to hang out with. Driving some trains together, sounds like a fun Sunday.

• Like 1

I don't speak Japanese and that's never stopped me from getting around when the wife was not there.  (And even when she is there, she often makes me stumble through it -- I guess she is trying to get the "dumb gaijin" sympathy from them though they often just gravitate to talking to her if they realize she speaks Japanese).

Don't be afraid.  The trains and transit are very easy to get around with even without the language.  Apple Maps on iPhone and I assume Google Maps on any phone or device offer good transit info (including busses) that tell you exactly what to get on and where to get off.  There are also other apps for figuring out transit and busses.  I know Apple Maps will track your location and warn you that the next stop is yours and all that.   I assume Google Maps can do the same thing.

We've not done that many busses except the local busses around my wife's family's places but when we have it was not that hard.  Tech will be your friend.

Odaiba and the huge Gundam is fun.  We've seen it multiple times, day and night and summer and winter and its always worth a few minutes to stop and look.

Enjoy your time there!  You'll easily get used to getting around and knowing what to do.  My first time there 23 years ago, before I got married, after a day there I was able to navigate all around using transit (and this was before iPhone or Android and fancy apps -- I did have a Handspring palm pilot clone with Metr0 app.)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, MeTheSwede said:

I recommend you get a good transit planner app, like Norikae Annai transit planner, which I think is the most widely used one in Japan. Not knowing English is not a problem for travelling with Tokyo trains and doing touristy stuff. (Atleast mostly not.)

Thanks, I'm always on the look out for new route planning apps.

I tried a few routes and it does get you there, but I wouldn't say it was the best possible route. For example, Asakusa Tsukuba Express station to Hachioji was a bit round-about. The simplest way is to just take the TX to Akihabara, then switch to the JR line, and then switch again at Ochanomizu. You can usually get a seat that way too.

To be fair, none of the apps or websites I've tried have managed to come up with that route. Google Maps is a little better, but beware that it assumes you walk fast and know where you are going when making connections. I've managed to miss connections many times while following it.

MeTheSwede

I got a bit curious and tried Asakusa Tsukuba Express station to Hachioji myself and got the route you mention as suggestion number 3 (with suggestion 1 and 2 having the same travel time). But obviously the result depends on which departure time is fed into the query.

17 hours ago, MeTheSwede said:

I got a bit curious and tried Asakusa Tsukuba Express station to Hachioji myself and got the route you mention as suggestion number 3 (with suggestion 1 and 2 having the same travel time). But obviously the result depends on which departure time is fed into the query.

Sorry which app?

On 6/6/2023 at 3:50 AM, JR East said:

As you'll be in Japan for one year, you'll have the chance to do something tourist can't do : Experimenting the 4 seasons in Japan

Thanks! thinking about the seasons creates a lot of expectation.

This in particular about winter and autumn (and maybe not much about summer as I read that it is quite hot and humid...)

On 6/6/2023 at 5:34 AM, paolo said:

A few other places to add to the list, which I all visited as a day trip from Tokyo:

All those places go to my to-do list! Thanks!

I am planning to take the shinkansen (by any means) even though if it just to experience it (i.e. no clear destination).

On 6/6/2023 at 12:27 PM, MeTheSwede said:

If you're tired of Youtube travel channels trying to "sell" stuff, maybe you'd like to watch Tokyo Kenchan instead. It's a small Youtube channel made by a Tokyo resident that inspired me to visit some places that are maybe a bit lesser known among foreign travellers.

Yes, I need to get a bunch of apps: transit planner, translation, etc.

I will go for whatever is more popular there. As you mentioned, Norikae Annai.

About communication, I was told that most people use "Line" so that one also goes in.

I like the idea to check independent youtube channel. If you know more, pass them on (thank you).

Visiting places where only mostly locals go sounds interesting. I did this in other countries (Korea and Thailand) and it was a great experience.

Going to a concert is something in my mind.

I checked about an artist's (small) concert that I would like to see but I am not sure if timing would be good (I will probably arrive 1.5 weeks before the concert date and there would plenty to organise as soon as I arrive). If I do not see that concert, I am fine just buying music.

About type of music, I would like to find LPs of singers like Mieko Hirota and Japanese LP pressings of non-Japanese artist like Bill Evans, Jim Hall, etc.

If I find some anime music in LP, that also will do!

a.jpg

• Like 1
On 6/6/2023 at 3:16 PM, chadbag said:

Don't be afraid.  The trains and transit are very easy to get around with even without the language.  Apple Maps on iPhone and I assume Google Maps on any phone or device offer good transit info (including busses) that tell you exactly what to get on and where to get off.  There are also other apps for figuring out transit and busses.  I know Apple Maps will track your location and warn you that the next stop is yours and all that.   I assume Google Maps can do the same thing.

I think that I will get around the transit but it there will be a learning curve...

That was my experience when moving around in other countries. And... I cannot imagine doing it without a GPS app.

Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 1

Another cool YouTube channel I suggest you check out to get a bit more acquainted with the Japanese ways is Only in Japan by John Daub.

He's an American living in central Tokyo, who married a Japanese girl and has been living in Japan for more than 20 years. So he has a very deep knowledge of the country while still seeing it from our perspective. He's very funny and he often goes visit some remote areas of Japan. I learned a lot from him, especially all the little things that might annoy Japanese people but that they'll never tell you because they're too nice. Which could be very useful if you plan on living there for a year.

He has a live channel and a more scripted one, I suggest you check them all out, and if you like the guy, keep watching them:

https://www.youtube.com/@onlyinjapanGO

https://www.youtube.com/@onlyinjapan

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, MeTheSwede said:

Norikae Annai Japan transit planner

Thanks. I just tried it again and it came up as the first option. Seems that it depends on the departure time.

That's an issue that Google Maps has too. Sometimes it gives you a daft route to try to save 3 minutes over an hour long journey.

Nick_Burman

Tokyo-area places to go on a weekend, offhand:

- Ghibli Museum;

- Hakone/Mt. Fuji area;

- the wilds of Chiba Prefecture: Kominato and Izumo Railways, Choshi Dentetsu, a trip around the Boso Peninsula;

- Kawagoe;

- The Chichibu area;

- Okutama;

- Ashio, for the Watarase Keikoku Railway and the remains of the Ashio copper mine and smelter.

You'll never, ever go bored in Tokyo...

Cheers Nb

• Like 4

Hey paolo and mojo, thanks for the youtube channels. Checking them out!

Hey Nick_Burman, thanks for the list of places. I think there is plenty to visit and see.

Thinking about it, probably I will not do much in my first two weekends as I need to coordinate several things and get use to all.

It is all exciting! but I think that for this long stay in Tokyo (and 1st time there), I will need to take things slowly.

Nick_Burman
On 6/18/2023 at 10:51 AM, NXCALE said:

Hey paolo and mojo, thanks for the youtube channels. Checking them out!

Hey Nick_Burman, thanks for the list of places. I think there is plenty to visit and see.

Thinking about it, probably I will not do much in my first two weekends as I need to coordinate several things and get use to all.

It is all exciting! but I think that for this long stay in Tokyo (and 1st time there), I will need to take things slowly.

Forgot two... the Edo-Tokyo Museum in Ryogoku (across the Sumidagawa from Nihonbashi) in central Tokyo and the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Museum in Koganei (Hana-Koganei station on the Seibu). I haven't visited these (a loss…), but apparently they are a must-go place if you want to learn about Tokyo itself.

Cheers NB

• Like 3