Kato #6 power routing issues.

Mudkip Orange

Mudkip Orange

Yo -

Discovered today that my Kato #6 is not routing power when set for straight. If you set it to the diverging points, it routes power there. But if you set it for straight, it's just... dead.

I hadn't noticed this before now because I always had the diverging route as a siding. With my new track I tried a layout where the diverging route was the mainline, and boom - siding (straight ahead) is dead at all times. So I don't know if this happened recently or even if it's a manufacturing defect that's been present since I bought this thing.

How would I go about troubleshooting?

I haven't taken one apart myself, but judging by the photos on this page it's not that hard, and the power routing is controlled by a little brass part attached to the black plastic lever.  If you have a multimeter, or even a simple continuity tester (bulb and battery) you could open it up and see if that's bent, loose, or otherwise not making good contact.

If it's working, but there's no continuity to the track itself then the problem must be in the connection from the rail to the other side of the circuit board. I don't know how practical that would be to take apart and fix.

CaptOblivious

Yah, no debris.

Guess I'm going to have to take it apart.

Probably so. Grab some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol while you're at it, for cleaning contacts.