tacky wax??

Jimbo

anyone use it? i I found some an am going to try it,    i I put my figures on the platforms an the next thing i know they look drunk! ha,they never seem to stay up right,,

Jimbo,

yes it will work, but you will need to put a pretty big glob to get them to stand tall for long, even then it won’t stick forever as it tends to dry out with time and feet are small surface area to adhere to. It works pretty well with vehicles with a larger blob under the vehicle. Blue tack also works well with vehicles. Make sure the tacky wax or blue tack you use says it does not bleed. Some cheap blue tack will slowly leach oils onto the surfaces they are in contact with.

for figures my go to usually is woodland scenics detail cement. It’s sort of a weird mixture of PVA/white glue and rubber cement. It dries clear and a bit flexible so if figures get knocked into they don’t tend to snap off. You can pick the stuff off with tweezers and if memory serves me right it will also get soft when soaked in water. It stays a bit tacky so you can actually pick up a figure and reposition a couple of times but of course it makes it loose its tackyness faster. Downside is it it a tad tacky and I’ve noticed a bit of dust stick to it with time and it will start loosing its grip over a few years. I had a lot of figure sets glided down to colored cardstock I could put out on the club layout and after a couple of years some figures started drinking heavily and came down with a list.

cheers,

Jeff

• Like 2

Yeah I’m afraid the amount of tacky wax you may have to use on figures will make them all look like mob targets fitted with cement shoes about to go swim with da fishes…

the scenic detail cement is about $6 at the hobby shop or craft store.

if you want them to really stand up straight for a long time plain old PVA (white glue) works well. Only problem is it won’t give if the figure is hit and either bend the figure’s ankles, snap them off or pop the whole figure off. You can pop off the figure when PVA glued with tweezers at the feet and you can soak the glue off in some water. It just it’s a hard glue joint but will keep your figures on the wagon, sober for many many years. Only downside is if it gets a lot of direct sunlight PVA can yellow a bit with time. I use Arleen’s tacky glue (thick, sticky PVA glue) for things like platforms where the figure is not getting knocked into and I want them sober for a long time.

what glue did you use the first time around?

jeff

I've used good old fashion testlers model glue an have used gel super glue, I've watched some video's on YouTube  an asked the poster what they had used,becouse it looked so clean, both replied  tacky wax, so am going to try it,   one thing for sure there's a lot of great video's  that get posted from Japan!! so i get some of my thoughts from the vids ,,  although some of them run their trains way to fast,

Hugh’s figures listed with styrene cement and super glue? Would expect that it would stay pretty rigid.

let us know on the tacky wax experiments, I’m wondering how long the hold will be. When I tested it with vehicles it was about as good as blue tack, but it deformed easier than blue tack so was easier to make sure the vehicle was flat down on the road, sometimes blue tack will expand some and lift up the vehicle.

the tacky wax has been handy to do a temp fix at shows when glueing would take time with layout shut down.

jeff