Is the third try the final time trying to purchase a E531 Series Joban Line set

bc6

It's been frustrating now trying to complete my Kato E531 Joban line set. I submitted an order with Osborns Models that stated the set I wanted was in stock but no communication at all. Next I saw the set I wanted on eBay I woke up to an email saying that it wasn't in stock. Today I placed an order with Modeltrainplus who said they had 3 sets in stock now 2 after I placed my order. I'm hoping that this is the final time that if have to try ordering this set. Has anyone else had a difficult time ordering what seems like a common item although kind of dated besides me.

Actually no, never had the issue personally. Still, I could believe that smaller shops might get their stock wrong, or just put the item as "in stock" (without quantity) as they believe they can backorder it anytime, and then it simply gets fogotten. Its something I would personally just calculate with when ordering something that has been made a while ago.

I don't get it sure it may be a small shop with a lot of stuff and one person but if you can't keep on top of your inventory things should change. I've realized now that I take a risk ordering any Japanese set going forward. This practice doesn't put a good face on the hobby in my opinion 

Edited by bc6

I didnt mean they "can't keep on top of things". What I meant was more out of personal experience. I for example can list an item either as "out of stock", "in stock" or with a specific quantity like "4 in stock".

Normally, and I beleive most other shops do the same, if you get a note that your supplier or the manufacturer can deliver an item for a period of X, most shops put the item as "in stock" (or a similar function, like "on backorder" or similar). All I meant is that i can perfectly see how in the whole chain of stuff at some point the message "we cant deliver it anymore" gets lost, and the item stays as "in stock". Plus, there may be less favorable events like theft or something broke, wich you usually dont communicate to a customer to not give the assumption you dont handle items well in your storage and such.

All I wanted to say is that japanese import items is a long chain of communication and delivery, and I can perfectly see somewhere in this chain to be a flaw. It obviously should not be the norm, but I also would not scold a shop bad for it. Its not "risky" to buy japanese stuff, its usually all pretty well documented and sorted out.

• Like 1

Bc6,

I guess you’ve never had to deal with much inventory. Even with computerized inventory systems it’s not a simple task and easy for small screwups to cause issues fast. Once things get behind and/or messed up with inventory control it’s a real pain to get things fixed and up to date. Really requires a complete inventory be done and that can take days to do. Hard for a one or two person shop to handle while running the business, especially if retail as well as internet. I know this oh so well as my best friend as a kid dad owned a garage and mark and I had the job each year to re-inventory all the parts to verify the current inventory for taxes and to reset/validate the inventory tally. Total PITA even with something with very organized numbering systems and storage and set sizes of boxes. No computers but really didn’t matter as most of the work was not computer work, it was looking and counting and entering (pencil and paper about the same as a keyboard). Barcodes and rfid can help this but requires a lot of tech setup to manage it and even that is easy to screw up (a friend at Home Depot attested this to me one time when they had a few employees screw up with their barcode inventory system).

As for folks selling thru ebay, if it’s a shop then they may forget to remove ebay sales when they run out of inventory on it. I doubt most shops would invest in an integration system to tie their store inventory system to ebay, they would have to do it manually and may just keep the ebay listing up figuring they will hopefully get new stock in. The only ebay Japanese shop that had decent prices and good inventory tracking on ebay was plaza japan, but they have recently gone to using their own web shop. Some shops like amiami are selling on amazon.jp and hopefully will have inventory integration with their amazon store, but again that gets expensive in time and money.

Your problem is your first two attempts were with Osborne that has a reputation for not keeping on top of inventory and then an ebay seller which probably won’t have an inventory system really with ebay. I expect you will get your train no problem from mtp, they are usually very on top of things.. I’ve never had any inventory/out of stock issues with any of the major Japanese train sources like HS, MTP, Rokko, amiami, hlj, plazajapan, Amazon.jp, etc. if they said they have it when I place an order, they have it. Buy from the reputable, know sources and you shouldn’t have a problem.

running a small or even midsize shop is not as simple of a proposition as you seem to think, it’s really hard work and usually not a super lucrative business, so you just can’t expect Amazon level of technology and systems. But they do get you a source that will at least talk to you, know the product they are selling and help you out with special orders, parts, etc. but it’s a two way street or to get that you have to find them, support them with sales, and maintain a good relationship with them (ie not pester them if things are not happening super fast). All of the sources listed above do a good job with inventory, support them if you want to get your trains.

jeff

• Like 2

Here, Here! Even before the volume of new releases and restocks from Japanese train suppliers. And relax most of us have few problems with dealers. 

Edited by disturbman

I'm sorry to be the bad guy and disagree with all of you but the way this whole deal with Osborns has left a very bad taste in my mouth and the only thing I can do is look out for myself.

I just got a very nice email from Mr. Takayama explaing the reason why he couldn't fulfill my order and that he would appreciate my cancellation of my authorization of the order. This is the way a business should be run and not radio silence from a company for a week to all of my emails. I no longer wish to discuss this as like I mentioned in the past I am quite frustrated and will let PayPal deal with Osborns. I just want to enjoy collecting Japanese N scale trains that's all. In fact I would appreciate if the mods would lock this post. 

Stop rushing into things, research better the deadlers you are about to order from. You were warned Osborns was not a top dealer and you might have issues with them. Relax a bit. It's model trains, if you can't find what you are looking for right now, you will find it later. Use YJA for these hard to find items or unavailable items. You can setup alarms on Buyee for specific search terms.

edit: Also, the previous releases of the E531 are quite old and would be sold out more or less everywhere. Use Hobby Search to get an idea of when things were released, it will give you an idea if you can realistically find them in other shops.

Edited by disturbman

You can pre-order the new Kato E531 sets from Hobby Search or any other dealer.  Here are the Hobby search links. You need a basic set plus perhaps add-on sets depending on how long of a train you want. All three will give you a 10-car train.  Release date is September 2023.  Hobby Search does not charge until the item is in stock.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10982488

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10982489

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10982490

There is also a five-car additional formation set.  The release date is also September 2023.

Unlike most JR East trains, long distance suburban sets have a 10-car train and a 5-car set for a 15-car train.  The 10-car set has the two double deck green cars. The 5-car set is entirely single deck cars.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10982491

Edited by bill937ca
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

You can pre-order the new Kato E531 sets from Hobby Search. 

He can pre-order it at all Japanese retailers, Hobby Search, Ami Ami, Model Train Plus, etc.

• Like 3
On 4/29/2023 at 10:13 AM, disturbman said:

He can pre-order it at all Japanese retailers, Hobby Search, Ami Ami, Model Train Plus, etc.

Also, I believe that RG Rokko also does pre-orders though not sure wha the process is as its been a year or more since I did one.

3 hours ago, chadbag said:

Also, I believe that RG Rokko also does pre-orders though not sure wha the process is as its been a year or more since I did one.

This. RG for sure does do PO. Ive done it myself for years. They also have preorder specials that are lower than MSRP so I highly recommend you

send an email out to them. Best store ive dealt with for Japanese trains. 

• Like 1

RGR is very serious. I got a big order at them, 90% pre ordered. They collect, store, check rolling stock, pack them with special care and then deliver (in my case they allow me to choose between FedEx or DHL).

Osborne's. Say no more. You tried dealing with a reseller that cares little for Japanese trains as it is very little business for them.

Just buy Japanese trains from well known Japanese sellers mentioned above.

• Like 2