Should I bother Kato about my repairs that I sent in?

bc6

I don't want to be that guy asking for a update on the repairs I sent in. I'm still curious about how it's going and hope it's not sitting on a table with a bunch of other repairs. I've never sent in anything for repairs to Katoso I'm very unfamiliar with the process. On Kato website it's says that I can expect a 6-8 week wait time for repairs. 

Edited by bc6

What was the repair? American train or Japanese train? Sent to Kato Japan or KatoUSA? How long has it been? 

jeff

It will most likely take a lot longer than a week, they would most likely need to get parts from japan before starting repairs. Getting Japanese parts thru katousa from japan was never a fast proposal, it sometimes has taken months just to get parts through katousa. I’m actually surprised they are willing to repair a Japanese train, they have always been very cool when it came to Japanese Kato stuff, even the few they tried distributing in the us. They created a lot of anger when they distributed the 500 shinkansen with the diagram couplers that were prone to breaking and were reticent to supply spare parts for them.

id say have some patience, I’m guessing it may be a month or two.

jeff

Yes, if the train has been damaged, the likely process will require replacement parts. You will have to wait for however long it takes for Kato USA to receive said parts from Japan, which is still where everything is manufactured. 

Depending on how Kato USA operate, parts will either by sent as an individual package, which is expensive from a company perspective and very unlikely.

Or 

They will arrive on the next dispatched container of Kato USA outline stuff if the request made it in time.

Or

Wait for the next shipment if the initial one was already "on the water" somewhere when the request was made.

I'm sure Kato USA carry spares for all of the USA outline while it lasts but the market for Japanese trains is minimal and the catalogue too extensive to keep spares for any eventuality in stock. Even in Japan, finding replacement parts for certain models can be difficult.

I agree with @cteno4 that a month or two is more likely.

These aren't necessarily repairs sorry this a decoder installation job. I'm probably looking at a year right lol. 

Cteno4 & kamome

Those are all crazy scenerios that I hope don't apply to me yikes but whatever they're trains right.  😫😫😫😫😫😫

Edited by bc6

Hopefully if katousa has the decoder in stock it should not take too long, but I’ve always found repair departments run at their own pace, not yours. They have rarely ever been quick. Repairs are usually don’t make money or just cost the company money, so again it usually ain’t going to be fast.

Just curious, did they give you cost for the decoder install up front? Shipping costs? I’ve not heard of KatoUSA doing decoder installs before.

jeff

Always best to ask first about these costs so no surprises. I’m sure there will be return shipping costs. Don’t know about the labor it’s all I how they would classify this. First time I’ve ever heard of KatoUSA working on a Japanese train. I guess since it’s just a plug-in the decoder and program it’s just like their us trains.

jeff

That’s good. But transparent might not equal inexpensive. Also if it’s just someone being nice I would not count on it happening over and over, that usually requires a company process, so I would be prudent when you use it in the future (ie don’t try to get them to do all your conversions). If someone being nice then very definitely don’t poke them for a long time on your installation in process.

jeff

thebluecomet

I sent in a repair march 3rd, got it back first week of April. Was able to get them on the phone during their 2 hour windows about 2 weeks after I sent it in, just to confirm they had it. It had allready been sent for repairs. People on the phone were super nice. This was for a Kato 2-8-2 mikado where the tender basically was ripped off the engine.

Last week, i called to order a wheelset (bogie) for a passenger car (Amfleet) They had it but dissapointingly expensive ($15 plus shipping) to me. Bought it anyway.

Rick

• Like 1

Wow thats really fast you got so lucky you should play lotto. The people on the phones are really nice I must admit. Looking forward to getting my trains back not that its a rush or anything. Thats a lot for a bogie I would have been looking for a used car on ebay or 3D printed on lol (I wish) as long as you got the car up and running thats what counts.

TreyMitchelle

Don't worry, it's completely understandable to be curious about the progress of your repairs, especially if it's your first time sending something to Kato. I totally get it! While the website mentions a 6-8 week wait time for repairs, it wouldn't hurt to reach out to them and politely inquire about the status. It's always good to stay informed. Maybe you could ask if your item is still waiting for its turn on the table or if the fasteners have been checked. They might be able to provide you with an update and put your mind at ease. Good luck, and I hope your item gets fixed soon!

Edited by TreyMitchelle
  • Like 1

Well I called Kato yesterday and they are sending my EMU's to Kato Japan. You know wha6 that means a possible 6 month wait arrrrgh.

But at least Kato is standing behind the repair! This is the one issue with doing Japanese trains is getting repaired done is pretty difficult. But the bright side quality and QA is excellent, I have a few hundred trains and needed repairs have been negligible and I’ve been able to source parts and fixed the few repairs I’ve needed myself.

jeff

Im very happy that my EMU's will be going to Japan its too bad I cant pick them up as well or maybe I can (insert evil laugh here) 

Das Steinkopf

I had a very happy story with my last visit to Tokyo, my son had got me to order a Kato E2-1000 in 200 Series livery from a well known online retailer, they promptly shipped it and it arrived a few days before I was leaving for Tokyo. When we received the set he found paint defects on Car 5 and Car 8, the first car had a white spot on the green section, whilst the other car had blistering, I had tried to contact the store but they didn’t get back to me in time. My son then asked if I could take it to the Hobby Centre Kato to see if they could repair it, at about 7:00pm on the day we landed we rocked up with set in hand, I went and spoke with the staff and showed them the defect, I also explained to them that I had made attempts to contact the seller. Normally an issue such as this you have to contact the seller who then contacts Kato, given the circumstances and timeframe they kindly broke the protocol and offered to fix it on the spot, 30 minutes later the issue was resolved.

IMG_3533.jpeg

IMG_3457.jpeg

IMG_3459.jpeg

IMG_3458.jpeg

• Like 7