Train Drivers Crew

Hi guys, 

I have a question about the crew onboard the locomotive... 

How many drivers there are in the driving cab in Locos, EMU/DMU, Shinkansen, etc... May be depending from the era? 

This question is because I want to put the drivers on my models, so I don't want have mistakes! 

Many thanks for answers! 

Loco haulage:

Steam: Driver and fireman in the cab.

Diesel and electric: Driver in the leading cab (I don't think there were ever 'secondmen' in Japan)

Plus a conductor in the brakevan/brake cabin (freight) or the conductor's compartment of a passenger car (passenger).

Multiple units:

Usually driver alone in leading cab and conductor in trailing cab. Note that there may be separate seats for drivers and conductors even though only one at a time is sitting in the cab. Unless one-man operation, in which case there is only a driver. One-man trains are easily identified by the 'wanman' sign on each end. Shinkansen are never wanman.

rqpOEP.jpg

Sangi Railway 270 series displaying wanman sign in upper left of cab window. Note that on many railways the sign is red instead of white.

For my HO JNR locomotives. I tend to add a driver and only add a second figure for locos on blue trains or longer distance expresses. Same with DMU and EMUs Single driver in something like a Kiha 58 or 40 but 2 in the cab of something like a Kiha 82. 

Local areas would usually have had a single driver and a conductor. Nowadays the ワンマン sign indicates the driver is the only staff member which is most common on a lot of branch lines. 

As for modern era, usually a single driver is present with a conductor in the rear cab rather than a designated conductors room, common in JNR times. Sometimes you see a second person in the cab, perhaps a supervisor spot checking that drivers are following driving regulations. 

Freight trains often have single drivers from what i’ve seen in Kyushu , with an occasional drivers mate. Older era used to have guards vans or conductor compartments such as Yo or Kokifu. 

So realistically I don’t think you can make a mistake, as you could explain one or 2 people in the cab at any given time. 

I would say for earlier shinkansen, you may have seen 2 people in the cabs of 0系 but most modern shinkansen have single drivers and a conductor in his/her room, mid train. 

10 hours ago, Beaver said:

Loco haulage:

Steam: Driver and fireman in the cab.

Diesel and electric: Driver in the leading cab (I don't think there were ever 'secondmen' in Japan)

I'm pretty sure "secondmen" (or assitant drivers) were retained on diesel and electric locomotives trough the privatization of JNR up until the mid-2000s.

For example, in this picture taken in 2008, there are two drivers in the EF66's cab. Same thing with this EF66 hauling the Fuji sleeper train in 2009.

Altough it's a little hard to discern wether these are actual "assistant drivers" or instructors or supervisors watching over a freshly-trained driver.

Hello and thanks! 

So, my cassiopeia locos, as I have all haulage (EF510, EF81, ED79, double DD51) require double drivers I think... Also DD51 in gray and orange or EF58 in blue color require double crew...?