tomix vibration ???

Jimbo

ef65 loco vibration in curves,swaped out power bogie's  nice an smooth,out of around wheels?bent axles?   Also tomix DMU same issue,only DMU on straight sections of track,also,,thats running the power unit as the lead car, now reverse it its fine,or use the power unit as the trailing car(as the pusher)  its fairly smooth running,  ef 65 has a worm gear drive,an the DMU has drive shafts, both are new, am i missing something??   these are the only two that do this!!  thanks

What do you mean by vibration? What speed? What radius curves? No hairs or other large schmutz in there?

only engines I’ve seen have real vibration and directional issues are the old Tomix engines that used the long spring as a drive shaft and worm drive.

this sounds like something misaligned or something big sucked in.

jeff

• Like 1

Jimbo, what are the item numbers?

If they are recent, it's unfortunately not uncommon for the M13 to make the powered car/locomotive vibrate/oscillate at high speed. As if the motor was not correctly secured or the flywheel was not perfectly aligned or non-uniformly weighted.

Not all units are like that, but a lot are. Was flagged yesterday by a forum member on one of the recently released Kiha 40 release (Revival livery, JR Hokkaido).

• Like 2

kiha47  think i found it?? really didnt want to take apart but,,,,,, i did!   front power bogie,binding up, re installed it an did the same for the rear one,   ran for about an hour, no issues,, i guess it could have been Jared in shipping?? disturbman it was at all speeds an also on straight track too, i dont have the item number in front of me right now thanks

Yes very common issue after shipping that powered trucks get a bit out of whack/loose and need to get reset.

jeff

Yeah I'd agree. I've had a few where the bogies are slightly misaligned in the chassis on first run.

I assumed the package had taken a decent hit in transit. One box was very obvious. 20mm dent in the corner.

Just a wiggle of the bodies is my normal fix. You normally hear a small click when they get set correctly in position.

I've also had the shell pushed to far onto the chassis, this also reduced the bodies range of movement and caused issues on curves.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1