JR Pass increases from Oct 2023

Yugamu Tsuki

IMHO I would still use it since I am riding trains on a daily basis.  I am a train enthusiast.  I would pay the supplement to use the Nozomi to Hakata because you do not have to change trains in Osaka.  On my previous trips, I used the train change in Osaka to get lunch.  This would usually take about an hour.  

I’m in Japan now, and have yet to see any of the “discounts”.  But one interesting note, you don’t have to show proof of pass when purchasing a Nozomi ticket at a ticket machine.  There’s a Rail Pass button to say you have a pass, but that’s it. No scanning QR, no entering passport number.  It’s pretty strange IMO.  Anyone can just use the machine to reserve seat (and pay Nozomi surcharge).  Of course you won’t actually get thru the ticket gate without the pass and the ticket.

I went to JR information desk just to make sure I had the right Nozomi tickets, and said why the ticket machine didn’t ask for pass proof, and they were a bit dumbfounded that it didn’t.  Maybe it’s growing pains or an oversight, as this new process just started.

This like my 11th (21-day green) pass over the past 5 years, which I bought just before the price increase, but I doubt I’ll buy another in future. I ride the trains a lot, just for the sake of riding them in some cases, but all of Japan is suffering badly from over tourism.  I wish I had a $ for every time the conductor booted a mis-seated tourist off the green car.  What’s so hard about reading a ticket car/seat number?!

Edited by Bob Martin

I did not realize Japan was "over-touristed".  That being said the train system there is extremely easy to use IMHO.  You do need to take a few minutes to determine the car and seat number on the ticket.  

Europe has become a major pain to travel in because most of trains in France, Italy,  Germany, and Spain require reservations.  If you purchase a pass it is difficult to get reservations in France and Italy.  Even purchasing tickets directly is difficult in France.  It appears that France has cut the frequency of TGV service on the Paris to Marseille line.  

Japan's train system has multiple frequencies and it is easy to get train reservations using a pass.  I discovered that I could use Google Translate to make specific requests such as window seat right side or left side. Each time the Japanese clerk took time to honor my request.  When a train switched ends en route, the clerk apologized for not being able to meet my request.  I could use Google Translate to say I understood.  This is much easier than dealing with the European system, which used to be easier to deal with years ago.