3D Printing Forum?

Do you think JNS needs a 3D printing forum?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Does JNS need a 3D printing forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Hi admins Im curious about including a 3D printing forum or is that someplace I haven't noticed?

Edited by bc6

We have talked about it some but so far 3D printing posts have been sporadic and usually more specific so fit into the subject of existing forums like scenery, buildings, rolling stock, tool shed, etc. we have been hesitant to add new forums as we have a lot already and don’t want the forums getting too specific. It’s a slippery slope I’d you have a 3D forum, then why not for laser cut, scratch building, kits, etc.

jeff

Thanks for responding Jeff I can see how adding a new forum may be problematic in the big pictures. The reason I ask is because I'm planning in 3D printing some Japanese characters for my newest building and wanted to get some feedback on what I'm doing. I'm going to print the Kanji in 3D once I come up with the right resources.

I am also very interested in 3D printing. I have started designing models a bit more than one year ago, currently only outsourcing the printing but planning to purchase a 3D printer this year. 
I see that the forum has a feature called “tags” that can be used to tag 😀 posts? or topics? at various locations. Maybe we could use that feature instead of a separate forum?

Marc

• Like 1

We have tags, but the thread creator needs to add them when posting their first message. Which makes the whole thing slightly unreliable.

• Like 1

Is it not possible to go back and add tags to a thread by editing the first post? I have done it on other forums that use Invision.

Hang on. I'll try it on one of my threads.......

EDIT; it worked. You can add and remove tags on an existing thread at any time simply by editing the first post.

Edited by Beaver
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, JR East said:

You can add a tag in you post then after

I don't understand your sentence.

My point was, afaik, that only the thread creator and the mods/admins can add tags to an existing thread/topic/conversation. Which limits the usefulness of tags as not everyone will think of adding one when creating a new topic.

5 hours ago, disturbman said:

I don't understand your sentence.

My point was, afaik, that only the thread creator and the mods/admins can add tags to an existing thread/topic/conversation. Which limits the usefulness of tags as not everyone will think of adding one when creating a new topic.

If you've initiated a discussion as new topic, as creator of this new topic you can add a tag in the first post. So that if different contributor are creating their own topic, if they use the same tag at creation, it's easy to retrieve them as this where that is #how-to

Example : https://jnsforum.com/community/tags/how-to/

image.thumb.png.8c75048c2e3396152de99c92c2755caf.png

Edited by JR East
  • Like 1

Moderators can also add them later if they see one that could use it as well.

sadly forums are more of a discussion medium and less of a good archival medium. We bump our heads on this now and then. We have talked about adding back the page system to try to do some more main articles and indexes on related discussion, but it requires a fair amount of conten curatorial work that can be hard to get people to volunteer for and keep at.

jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, JR East said:

If you've initiated a discussion as new topic, as creator of this new topic you can add a tag in the first post. So that if different contributor are creating their own topic, if they use the same tag at creation, it's easy to retrieve them as this where that is #how-to

Yes, that's what I said in my first post. What I was wondering is if someone else than the creator, beside the mods/admins, could add them the conversation. It would be the only way to keep the tags being really relevant, until some idiot comes to add some for the fun of it.

As Jeff said, forums are an imperfect archiving method. The only efficient way to store information is by organizing in specialized categories, and even this quickly reach its limits as very few people use the search engines or re-read old threads.

I could maybe see a place for a 3D/Kitbash platform under Layout/Other projects. We could add it and see where it goes from there. If it warrants more.

• Like 1
On 4/14/2023 at 3:06 PM, disturbman said:

I could maybe see a place for a 3D/Kitbash platform under Layout/Other projects. We could add it and see where it goes from there. If it warrants more.

Great idea.🙂

I actually voted against the idea of a 3D forum but with the prevalence of 3D printing and it becoming more and more a part of this hobby and may others, I think that a sub-forum under the Tool Shed might be a great idea. I just read a fantastic thread on the Model Ship World forum on 3D printing ships' cannons but it would apply to any resin 3D printing project. I know about FDM printing but little about printing resin. They have a sub-forum called 3D-Printing and Laser-Cutting

Cheers eh,

Todd

Edited by tossedman
Added link
  • Like 1