Some general questions on N gauge while I have your attention please.

bc6

As I re-enter Japanese model trains again I've come across a couple of anomalies maybe someone can help me with. 

It seems strange to me that the motor car is in the middle of the train (models) maybe someone can explain it to me why? 

Disco lights on trains this is really odd to me, I've seen a YouTube video with n gauge disco lights in it what is the basis of this? 

Thanks

13 minutes ago, bc6 said:

It seems strange to me that the motor car is in the middle of the train (models) maybe someone can explain it to me why?

-It leaves more room in the end cars for the head and tail lighting circuits.

-It makes it easier to hide the motor unit as the viewer's eye is drawn towards the head and tail of the train.

-It reduces the forces acting on the cars which are being pushed ahead of the motor car (since there are fewer of them) reducing the chance of derailment (long strings of pushed cars derail easily).

-It is the usual model design practice to put the motor in one of the model cars that represents an actual motorised car.

-It is realistic practice to use non-driving motor cars in multiple unit sets. Usual JNR/JR practice is to use a number of pairs of headless motors flanked by a pair of driving trailers with intermediate trailers added where needed. Usually only short 2/3 car trains have driving motor cars.

By 'disco lighting', do you mean that the lights (especially interior lights) are flickering/ going on and off? If so that just means dirt on the wheels and/or poor pickup is interrupting the supply of power to the lights. Unpowered wheels do not pick up power as well as powered (less weight on them), tend to get dirtier and most people clean them less often, if at all.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Beaver said:

-It leaves more room in the end cars for the head and tail lighting circuits.

-It makes it easier to hide the motor unit as the viewer's eye is drawn towards the head and tail of the train.

-It reduces the forces acting on the cars which are being pushed ahead of the motor car (since there are fewer of them) reducing the chance of derailment (long strings of pushed cars derail easily).

-It is the usual model design practice to put the motor in one of the model cars that represents an actual motorised car.

-It is realistic practice to use non-driving motor cars in multiple unit sets. Usual JNR/JR practice is to use a number of pairs of headless motors flanked by a pair of driving trailers with intermediate trailers added where needed. Usually only short 2/3 car trains have driving motor cars.

By 'disco lighting', do you mean that the lights (especially interior lights) are flickering/ going on and off? If so that just means dirt on the wheels and/or poor pickup is interrupting the supply of power to the lights. Unpowered wheels do not pick up power as well as powered (less weight on them), tend to get dirtier and most people clean them less often, if at all.

Thank you for the great explanation of motor cars and how they're used.

I think the disco lights were on purpose believe it or not, If I can find the YouTube video Ill post it. 

I think someone like  Microace may have made a disco light unit. 

As for motors in the middle, this makes much more sense to me for EMUs than putting them at one end, especially when these things run in both directions. Not sure how manufacturers decide which car as it’s not always dead middle. Occasionally the motor is added in the part that’s easiest to hide it. As example, Kato Super rail cargo or the Tomix 215 have the motor in one end due to the logistics of disguising it. 

• Like 1

There was also a single car late night “party” single car train that was modeled. Basically a rolling bar/party you could rent. Someone made a model along with the interior party lighting.

jeff

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, kndy said:

A coincidence, just saw this on the news for the Cafe Tetsudoya with the disco LED's.

Thanks, Ok thats it Im on the manhunt for disco/rainbow leds for at least one of my commuter cars!!!

8 hours ago, JR East said:

Yup exactly I found them and ordered several sets thanks for the links. It seems that they dont have anymore for Kato cars hope I didnt wipe them out I only purchased 5 of them. Justin in case you guys didn't see it thanks for all of your help pointing me in the right direction to find these rainbow/disco leds which will be the highlight of my fleet.

Edited by bc6

bc6,

Here is an example of my earlier comment. The NCE Power cab is a 2 amp system. The more things

that you add to the layout that consumes track power the more it can impact the over operation.

N Scale uses .25 amps. This means that a 2 amp system can handle 8 trains/locos. We don't typically

run that many at one time but its a value to keep in mind.

Typically light kits are configured with a single LED. This Disco kit looks likes it has 15 LEDs. The listing

states it uses 20% of power. I'm not sure what's being said but 20% is a nominal value.

It just goes to show what's out there as I had no idea these lights were available.

In any case its a lot of fun seeing the things that people find.

Inogu

38 minutes ago, inobu said:

bc6,

Here is an example of my earlier comment. The NCE Power cab is a 2 amp system. The more things

that you add to the layout that consumes track power the more it can impact the over operation.

N Scale uses .25 amps. This means that a 2 amp system can handle 8 trains/locos. We don't typically

run that many at one time but its a value to keep in mind.

Typically light kits are configured with a single LED. This Disco kit looks likes it has 15 LEDs. The listing

states it uses 20% of power. I'm not sure what's being said but 20% is a nominal value.

It just goes to show what's out there as I had no idea these lights were available.

In any case its a lot of fun seeing the things that people find.

Inogu

Thanks for the details and measurements I'll remember that when I can't run trains because of my disco lights. So this means I can get a upgrade to a booster or if I hit the lottery get a Digitrax system 

Believe me I had no ideal that disco lights were a things before I returned to JNS.

It is fun finding new things and I'm learning new things every day.