Modelling the Showa Era

That’s kind of a very open ended question to attempt to answer. Are you asking about specific types of buildings to model? Kits available? HO scale? If so there are a more limited number of kits available for HO so you you may be looking at scratch building or kitbashing stuff.

Have you found any period shots of small towns in the area you are interested in to get ideas for buildings, roads, vegetation types?

jeff

MangakaRailfan

I am essentially asking:

What buildings to model?

What kits are available in HO scale? (In HOe, 009 or Hon30 scale;  Ho scenery and train shells are combined with N scale track and train motors.) 

I am interested to get ideas and reference for buildings, roads, vegetation, or anything that would make the town realistic.

Edited by MangakaRailfan
MangakaRailfan

I have a few plastic kits I built long ago. They fit in great, and they’ll blend in after I give them a change of signage! The links helped!

57741DA2-C0CA-4F77-A635-805B07372D2E.jpeg

Edited by MangakaRailfan

Glancing at google images, a number of the buildings in Kusatsu Onsen have a decidedly European flair.   For buildings that are still standing, cruising around town via google street view and satellite view is the next best reconnaissance to actually being there.

May be worth checking the offerings of Faller, Kibri, and Vollmer to see what might fit in with just a little kitbashing, or even just adding Japanese signage.

EuroRail Hobbies is a good site for searching through for Europeanimage models:

https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/

Edited by Cat

Sankei building kits are very good, and helpfully available in both 1/80 and 1/87 (but generally not the same kits in both scales!)

Don't overlook Baiodo building kits which are available in both 1/80 and 1/87 versions for every building with little huts etc now in intermediate 1/83. They also offer some distinctive detail parts such as carp streamers for Boy's Day and old wooden washing frames.

For small details take a look at Sakatsu Global. Details from different eras are all mixed up together since you cannot search by period but there is certainly plenty of useful stuff. Old postboxes, taru, first generation motorbikes, old bicycles, street stalls, wooden ladders and countless other period paraphernalia to be found.

• Like 1
  • cteno4 changed the title to Modelling the Showa Era