Burnt out Tomix switch motors

Zimmer

Hi. My first post!  I have a built a DCC switching layout using Tomix Finetrack. My control station is a Z21 Start and I use Digikjeis DR4018 accessory decoders to switch the points. With this setup the points have always worked perfectly. I have recently had to move the layout, and took the opportunity to change the track plan and renew the wiring. Unfortunately I have somehow burnt out three point motors and the points themselves are damaged possibly beyond repair. I have checked everything relating to the wiring of the decoders and points and can’t see a problem, but am reluctant to risk more damage. Does any know what might cause the motors to overheat so dramatically?

I think you need DR4101 to operate those switches. If they worked before then it might be the settings in the DR4016

Inobu

Edited by inobu

The voltage is important (the Tomix switches normally operate at 12V), but the timing of the signal is more important. The switch motors (electromagnets, actually) cannot remain powered for more than a few hundred milliseconds.

Can you tell us how the switches are connected and which CV values you use?