Crazy Auctions / Prices Thread

cteno4

I've been burning to ask this for months, but held back, can't hold on any longer!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-GAUGE-RAILWAY-KATO-DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVE-702-DD51-/221883219829?hash=item33a9453f75:g:rikAAOSwWnFV9Ak-

This has been listed and relisted for at least 6 months. I have suggested to them twice that is well over priced and old, but no reply and continue to waste their time listing.

Is it me missing something?

I know there are other items on Ebay for much more money, but this one is just odd to me ?

• Like 1

No number plates or other parts?

On the street in Japan (by "street" I mean the junk corner of Hobbyland Pochi et al) this would set you back 1500 ~ 2000 yen tops.

Still, cheaper than flying all the way to Japan I guess ;)

£13 wow !

I just don't understand why sellers can't use their eyes and at the very least do an Ebay search for a similar item. Rails of Sheffield are also selling a second hand one right now. They've also been relisting It for months. It's £75 !! but at least it's the newer model. If Rails can't sell a better one for 25% less, how on earth do they expect their one to sell ?

I just don't understand?

Glad I got four brand new ones already at the normal Japanese prices :icon_biggrin:

PS,

I've just seen Train trax have two DD51's in stock, brand new at about £53 !!!

Edited by sunbeam

I'd bet money that the guy has bought it for more than it is worth, realized and is now trying to make (quite possibly literally) a quid or two 

I would really like to get my hands on a Keihan 80 Series with air conditioner as I have just pre ordered one of the new Tomytec units without air conditioner, I can understand the fact that they have been out of production for a few years now but this guy must be dreaming if he thinks he can fetch the price he wants for two of them.

http://www.jauce.com/auction/s499495819

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Now they are cool!

But prototypically incorrect. :) There was no reverse on it and the diesel engines were disconnected, so a correct model would have only forward. This is especially clear on the video as the model is backing up on the track. (the correct way would be to use a diesel loco to pull it back after every run) Seriously based on the price of the DCC sound and light unit and the problems installing one into a Kato RDC, the price might be more or less justified.

ps: i would just turn on a vacuum cleaner if i ever wanted to hear this sound when i run a train...

Layout for 35 million yen!?? http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m175505758

Comes with attached house and land, in Yamanashi Prefecture.

Haha I got confused by this auction... are they selling the layout comes with free house and land, or selling the house and land comes with free layout? This sort of give me an idea to do the same for mine, selling my layout comes with free flat ~  :)

Well it does come with free shipping

With that kind of pricing, he can actually buy himself an air ticket and fly to and fro from Japan to hand-deliver the item to you, with some extras left for him to spend....

There are a few shops that list stuff like this now and then, Kato buildings like this before as well.,I've emailed a few to just FYI to see if it was just some mistake, they never get back or change...

Very odd.

Same seller on ebay.com us has stuff at 25-100% over usual street price, but the ultra rare Kato highrise is not offered up!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Judging by the refunds and neutral comments, the seller does not have anything in stock and resells what he can buy cheaply. This means that items that become out of stock at other places have to be either removed (which would make him suspicious and could cost money to relist) or just increased to be too expensive. If someone still buys, he cancels as out of stock, at least most of the neutral comments were about canceled items. (you buy something, pay for it, then get an out of stock cancellation if the item can not be sourced)

Reselling is a common way on ebay to make a bit of money and high prices ensure that the selected out of stock item is not bought or if still bought by someone with more money than common sense, then they could be sourced for a really high price and still turn a large profit.

The other high price problem is usually caused by two bots, auto adjusting their prices to be just a bit above each other, so the item could be bought from the other seller if someone decides to buy it. In a case like this, the usual problem is that neither seller has the item in stock and the cycle is usually broken when one of them notices this and removes the listing.

• Like 1

The seller has all sorts of junk with varying prices. I would say he hasn't got a clue about the real worth of every listed item so many prices are completly random.

The strangest part is when you see this, and it says stuff like "3 available, 1 sold", and you have to wonder who was the poor schmuck who fell for it.