Kato Unitram 2.0 (2022)

brill27mcb

As I mentioned in the parallel Tomytec Moving Bus System 2.0 thread, lately I have been studying developments in both the Moving Bus System and the Kato Unitram worlds. Both product lines have been on "pause" recently. The latest Unitram set, the 40-811 TV1 Basic Set, released last August, turns out to be the first product in a revamped approach by Kato to Unitram, which I am calling Unitram 2.0. This lineup has item numbers with "TV" prefixes and replaces the previous "V" series.

The TV1 set is smaller than the original V50 Unitram set, released in December 2009. It lacks the "second side" of the road beyond the tracks along the "back" of the oval, as well as the photo backdrop of Diotown buildings. Kato seems to be focusing on reducing the size and keeping the cost lower on the complete sets and track package sets.

Additional clues to the new product arrangement can be seen in the final image on the Hobby Search listing for the TV1 set:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10899627/30/5

Find a way to zoom in on the bottom center of this image and you can see the details for package sets TV2, TV3 (now up for reservation at HS), TV4 and TV5, as well as "street plate" packages (without rails) 40-822 and 40-823. These replace the previous packages V51, V52, V53 and V54. They offer the same basic building blocks, but in different combinations that seem to me to be better thought out.

There's no indication yet on whether individual (non-"package") pieces, like the curved tracks (40-101 and 40-102), the inside intersection corners (41-100), the important turnouts (40-210 and 40-211), the double crossing track (40-300), and straight tracks (40-010, 40-020, 40-021 and 40-031) will continue to be made and sold separately. There is also no indication that they will not be. We will have to wait and see.

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb
  • Like 5