How Do You Store Your Trams Between Running Sessions?

bill937ca

As may collection of trams grows larger, fueled mainly by all the Tomytec releases, I find storing them between running sessions a growing issue.  This is different then trains because  trams come in so many lengths and sections. The traditional Tomytec" storage casket" really doesn't work unless all the trams are of the same length which they are not.

Some photos of what I now have.

1.  A shallow plastic storage box with lid.

2. Tomytec LRT Case    https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10316320

3. HS shipping box on its side under one of the tram layouts.  Someday it will be replaced by another box of same general dimensions, but larger.  Used for trams in their jewel cases.

4. The great Tomytec Tram storage tub.

IMG_9127 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_9128 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_9130  1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_9131 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca

I run my trams at events and temp setups at home, so in between those it’s always back in their boxes and boxes in plastic tubs like you. I do have a few bookcases, mainly for the portrams. I’ve been meaning to get some clear vhs cases and cut 1” foam inserts for many of the Tomytec trams and 1-3 car trains as their cardboard boxed don’t hold up well with time opening and closing the flaps and not super crush resistant. I like the idea of just printing the profile of the train along the spine of the vhs case.

jeff

• Like 1

So far, they simply sit on the track... I will have a depot and some spurs with room for about 20. When I go above and beyond that (which is close), this will be an issue.... 

I have a collection of models in 1:43 and these are non motorized and sit on tiered acrylic shelves behind glass doors in a display case. I might do similar with N scale too. Being behind glass means a lot less dust.

5F3953CB-184E-420A-A2C4-53EC99FCA843.jpeg

Edited by Aleks
  • Like 1

I also have a handful of trams but I don’t really like the cardboard and plastic trays that Tomytec products come in. Makes it time consuming and cumbersome to get things in and out.

Same with a number of Tomix wagons like the Shiki 1000s and Chiki 7000s which are now housed in bookcase style folders. 

My issue is the trams i’ve accumulated are not in the same range, pretty much, I like that one!!

So certainly the articulated trams need the foam cutting into a suitable sized housing. The case and foam used were a bi-product of purchasing the Tomix 215 base and add-on set and i just cut out and added foam where needed. To keep things together, I used some PVA to glue in loose foam sections. Not the most beautiful thing, but does the job. 

I keep meaning to produce a replacement label in Adobe Illustrator to make it easier to locate. 

2CABF59D-F548-4805-9CCC-443172184E6D.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 5

mine are in their cases stacked at the end of the layout, a couple are left out on the layout but its covered in a dust sheet to protect them and the track as I find it a pain to keep clean.